Salters Lode

pearley

Featured Posts

You'r welcome.

Thanks

I have more most are "boaty" http://bigglesw.blip.tv/

Biggles

As sure a sign of Spring as the first ducklings (seen yesterday) or the first cuckoo (still waiting): the first Fox Boat of the year chugged past the end of our garden yesterday afternoon. I guess that Fox's had been sending all their hire boats the other way whilst the lock was closed.

As sure a sign of Spring as the first ducklings (seen yesterday) or the first cuckoo (still waiting): the first Fox Boat of the year chugged past the end of our garden yesterday afternoon. I guess that Fox's had been sending all their hire boats the other way whilst the lock was closed.

They were certainly about on the Nene the week after Easter.

MP.

And now it's closed again!

Will have to spend Sunday sat here at Denver in the sun and wait for the engineers to arrive on Monday morning. The locking time tomorrow is 10.30am so I hope it is something simple.

There is a Fox hireboat waiting as well who are supposed to be back in March by 9.30am on Monday!

Spoke to a stressed out lock keeper... it might be a lengthy job. The engineers are back and there's problems!!

... and the MLC haven't updated their website AGAIN! It still says that things are hunky-dory.

Naughty Boys.

MP.

NB Zindagi got through yesterday - saw her in Ely. If its gone wrong again, it must have happened today !

We met her at the waterpoint at Ely as we were preparing to go downstream. We left Ely at Saturday lunchtime arriving at Denver around 5.30pm. I was expecting a locking time around 10am on Sunday but the notice board was blank. Sunday morning the board said that the next locking was at 10.30am on Monday. I rang the Denver lock keeper who said that the gate had jammed on Saturday and the engineers couldn't come until early Monday.

Monday morning saw 4 of us waiting to go down plus the Fox hireboat whose crew had been collected. Paul rang to say that repairs had been affected and to pass the first boat through and in exchange another Fox boat came up. That makes 2 of their boats now stuck on the Ouse. Then Paul rang to say he couldn't get the bottom gates to close again. After about 45 mins he rang again to say that he would attempt tp pass all the boats through when the river had made a level with the creek. After another 45 mins or so it was all systems go. On Sunday it was blue skies and no wind. On Monday it was rain and wind. The second boat went aground against the river side as it turned which meant as the last boat I had to reverse hard back and try and make sure we didn't go aground as well. How long the first boat had to wait in the chamber I don't know. All's well that ends well and we're safely moored in March and Jeannette has stopped knocking back the scotch!

There were two MLC engineers working at Marmont Priory lock who told me that the problem is that instead of the bottom gate being raised by motor and chain from the overhead gantry the new lightweight gate is raised by hydraulic rams at either side. Unfortunately the rams are not evenly matched and so the gate lifts unevenly and jams in its slides, damaging the seals in the process. The original contractors have either been sacked or walked off the job and there is talk of legal action. When you look at the lock from the tidal side it all looks very flimsy.

Anybody thinking of coming this way should make sure that they can get through Salters Lode before they come onto the Middle Levels. Almost every mooring spot is full with boats all pointing that way. You might be better off waiting around at Peterborough where the facilities are better.

Edited by pearley

I talked to Paul five minutes ago, and they're closed. The gate is not performing. The MLC website says that the lock is open and it's WRONG. I've emailed them asking for it to be corrected.

Looks like a bit of an ongoing fiasco.

MP.

I called the MLC to try and get an update on the whole situation and they said the head engineer can't be contacted today as he's in a meeting. I just hope the meeting's about how to get this lock working again and SOON!

What an embarrasment. It really is becoming a joke, however I'm not laughing as I was due to move the boat this weekend.

Can I expose my terrible ignorance here and ask the following?

Does this stoppage mean there is no access by narrow boat from Northampton to Ely/Cambridge, or is there an alternative route?

David

Can I expose my terrible ignorance here and ask the following?

Does this stoppage mean there is no access by narrow boat from Northampton to Ely/Cambridge, or is there an alternative route?

David

One possible work-around.....

P1120149.jpg

On a more serious note.....

The MLC web-site still indicated the lock as open, other than some short ad-hoc closures might be required.

See here.....

http://www.middlelevel.gov.uk/news.aspx?id=54

So it's not just BW that cocks these things up, then ?

Edited by alan_fincher

So it's not just BW that cocks these things up, then ?

The MLC seem to think that the lock is open, the lock keeper says it's closed. More and more like BW!

If you actually want to use the lock, I strongly suggest talking to both of them by phone.

MP.

Thanks for that Alan but that announcement is dated 24th April.

According to MP and others, that pre-dates the current technical difficulties which manifested themselves on or after the 26th!

Still no serious answer as to any alternative (water-way) routes.

david

Edited by Bullfrog

THIS IS THE EMAIL I'VE JUST BEEN SENT. I also spoke to the head engineer on the project and they say if passage is booked in advance they WILL get you through. However there maybe some SLIGHT delay while they carry out repair work.

hank you for your email of 29th April.

The Lock is open for the passage of craft booked to pass through it. Between such bookings, the contractors are continuing to work on it.

The navigation notes make clear that passages must be booked.

The information on the website is therefore correct.

I would advise you to contact this office regarding the status of the Lock.

Yours sincerely

Iain Smith

Clerk & Chief Executive

Middle Level Commissioners

Still no serious answer as to any alternative (water-way) routes.

Well that was the reason for my non-serious "A B Tuckey" suggestion - I wasn't trying to hi-jack a serious question.

I'm no expert, but believe this lock represents the only way through.

Otherwise why the complaints from those unable to move.

I'm sure a local will confirm.......

EDIT:

Ah,

Just cross-posted with the message from Larry.

Strange though that MP says the lock keeper says its not open - that's who you might expect to know the definitive answer. :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

The only alternative route is via the Wash. In theory you could go via the Old Bedford sluice at Salter's Lode, the Old Bedford River, Welches Dam Lock and Horseway lock. Except that Welches Dam lock is closed too, and AFAIK the only boat to make it through the Old Bedford Sluice in the last decade is the intrepid Tuesday Night crew.

As far as Salter's Lode lock is concerned, there does seem to be a bit of a "reality disconnect" between the powers that be and the chaps on the ground. That's why I suggested talking to BOTH of them before assuming anything.

MP.

The "current news" about Salter's Lode lock on the MLC website has been changed (though the date on the news item, strangely, hasn't). I've pasted the current text below: it does seem to reflect the current reality rather better.

MP.

Whilst the new tidal gate is operational and hence open for navigation there are some outstanding issues requiring further works to be carried out to ensure that target levels of reliability and functionality are met. There is a chance that further closures of the lock may be required for short periods over the next few weeks. Every effort will be made to ensure that there is minimum disruption to navigators during this time.

It therefore continues to be recommended that boaters advise of their wish to pass through the lock well in advance of arrival, checking again with the lock keeper on the day before if possible.

The Commissioners apologise for any inconvenience caused and are working to ensure that the contractors complete the work on the lock as quickly as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
The only alternative route is via the Wash. In theory you could go via the Old Bedford sluice at Salter's Lode, the Old Bedford River, Welches Dam Lock and Horseway lock. Except that Welches Dam lock is closed too, and AFAIK the only boat to make it through the Old Bedford Sluice in the last decade is the intrepid Tuesday Night crew.

As far as Salter's Lode lock is concerned, there does seem to be a bit of a "reality disconnect" between the powers that be and the chaps on the ground. That's why I suggested talking to BOTH of them before assuming anything.

MP.

There were one or two narrowboats that went through after we ground TNCFA NB Frogmoore II through the Old Bedford and OB Sluice in 2001. AFAIK this was an IWA Peterborough Rally in 2003 and no boats went though subsequently.

When we went through Paul said that we were the first boat through since a NB went through in the year he joined the MLC, which ISTR was 1993 and was the subject of an amusing article in Waterways World, were the crew were all given names like "Old Salt" and "Cabin Boy" and they played up all the trouble they had. (obviously a set of boaters more incognito than TNC).

Just back from 5 weeks of big tin boating with Mrs TNC, the boating highlights being the "Pirate Run" past Somalia and the Suez Canal, which was somewhat more interesting that first envisaged.

I might bore you with some pictures, if I can sort out the images before I *finally* get back to Ireland in a couple of weeks time, some 8 months after poor old Earnest was abandoned over there.