Salters Lode

pearley

Featured Posts

Having just phoned the keeper from St. Ives, Salters Lode is closed until at least Easter.

That gave me a shock, as we're planning to go through at Easter. I talked to Paul (the locky) about a month ago, and the work was "all systems go" then, so I assumed it would be long finished by now. I just had another talk, and it's still "all systems go", so we should probably still be OK for easter, but no promises.

Time to put a bomb under the MLC, I think, a 6-month stoppage for a planned upgrade to fairly OTT.

MP.

That gave me a shock, as we're planning to go through at Easter. I talked to Paul (the locky) about a month ago, and the work was "all systems go" then, so I assumed it would be long finished by now. I just had another talk, and it's still "all systems go", so we should probably still be OK for easter, but no promises.

Time to put a bomb under the MLC, I think, a 6-month stoppage for a planned upgrade to fairly OTT.

MP.

Was this the upgrade to speed up the guillotine? :lol:

Was this the upgrade to speed up the guillotine? :lol:

Yes: PDF clicky

It was originally supposed to be done Winter 2007/8 and got postponed to this winter. I get the impression that navigation is not an MLC priority, they're getting a shiny new pumping station at Wiggenhall, and that's taking all the attention.

MP.

There's little excuse for Oundle as that's on Environment Agency waters, which boaters pay to use, so they are entitled to expect to be able to use them. As Salter's Lode is run by the Middle Levels Commission, on which boaters do not pay any licence fees, I don't suppose we can complain too loudly.

As Salter's Lode is run by the Middle Levels Commission, on which boaters do not pay any licence fees, I don't suppose we can complain too loudly.

A can of worms, I think. Personally, I'd be prepared to pay a license in return for moving up the commissioner's priority list. I think that the MLC would like that too, but the insane world of UK governance means nobody has yet managed to amend the ancient laws. I don't suppose my preference will be shared by most Middle level boaters either.

MP.

MP, the version which I've heard round here is that if boaters have to pay a licence to use the Middle Levels they will expect better facilities - for example there is currently only one sanny station (by March town bridge) on the whole system, and designated moorings, as opposed to just mooring to the bank and hoping that no one notices, are not abundant either. So it might cost the MLC more to provide improved facilties than they received in revenue. They would also need extra staff to deal with craft licencing - we don't have numbers at the moment (wonder who will get M1 when/if licensing comes in).

A bonus of the introduction of licensing would be that the considerable number of unwaterworthy and derelict boats which hang around the Levels getting in the way would presumably be eliminated - but then again, as the owners of many of them cannot be traced (according to the local moorings warden) the MLC would incur more expense getting rid of them. So it's a multi-faceted problem, which would require discussion over several pints of Elgood's Ales, and which would probably remain unresolved even then!

MP, the version which I've heard round here is that if boaters have to pay a licence to use the Middle Levels they will expect better facilities - for example there is currently only one sanny station (by March town bridge) on the whole system, and designated moorings, as opposed to just mooring to the bank and hoping that no one notices, are not abundant either. So it might cost the MLC more to provide improved facilties than they received in revenue. They would also need extra staff to deal with craft licencing - we don't have numbers at the moment (wonder who will get M1 when/if licensing comes in).

A bonus of the introduction of licensing would be that the considerable number of unwaterworthy and derelict boats which hang around the Levels getting in the way would presumably be eliminated - but then again, as the owners of many of them cannot be traced (according to the local moorings warden) the MLC would incur more expense getting rid of them. So it's a multi-faceted problem, which would require discussion over several pints of Elgood's Ales, and which would probably remain unresolved even then!

We liked the Middle Level the way they are, it reminds me of my early days of boating and being in Ireland.

(The whole of Ireland is like the Middle Level)

If and when Earnest ever returns to Last of the Summer (British) Waterlands, then we will try to get a mooring at Bill Fen.

Since Earnest has been in Ireland, it looks like the facilities being offered by BW are mirroring the Middle Level (ie use boatyards or get somebody else to pay for them)

I'm sure that's true, but I think I've read somewhere something that implies the MLC would like to bring in licenses if only they could get the Acts ammended. BTW, I emailed the commissioners asking how they reconcile a 6-month stoppage with clause 16 of the Navigation Notes, which says, paraphrased, "we'll complete stoppages in four weeks and avoid Christmas". Apparently, this wasn't a routine stoppage, so it doesn't count. Pity we weren't told that at the start.

It may well be an insoluble problem, but that is no reason not to try! Which pub does Elgoods?

MP.

We liked the Middle Level the way they are, it reminds me of my early days of boating and being in Ireland.

(The whole of Ireland is like the Middle Level)

If and when Earnest ever returns to Last of the Summer (British) Waterlands, then we will try to get a mooring at Bill Fen.

Blimey! That would be like having Bono or Mick Jagger moving in next door!

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

i plan on doing the middle levels this summer,ive been reading all about earnests exploits on the middle level,im hoping to get to places that others cannot,my main worry is air draught,my hull draws as little as 10 inches with all the gear up and 18 with the motor down,there must be some places that i can get to where others cannot. I like to hunt out quiet corners before thay dissapear

",ive been reading all about earnests exploits on the middle level"

Is there a travel / cruise log around then as I plan to explore the Middle levels this year in my 60' NB. My biggest fear is getting stuck in a dead (un turnable) end.

Biggles

I'm sure that's true, but I think I've read somewhere something that implies the MLC would like to bring in licenses if only they could get the Acts ammended. BTW, I emailed the commissioners asking how they reconcile a 6-month stoppage with clause 16 of the Navigation Notes, which says, paraphrased, "we'll complete stoppages in four weeks and avoid Christmas". Apparently, this wasn't a routine stoppage, so it doesn't count. Pity we weren't told that at the start.

It may well be an insoluble problem, but that is no reason not to try! Which pub does Elgoods?

MP.

MP.

MP.

MP.

MP.

Shy retiring types, like me, that abandons their boat for 8 months at a time?

Well there is a connection, we have boated past Bono's pad on the Grand Canal Dock

Pict8377.jpg

and past Ronnie Wood's in a rubberboat (Corbally Branch off the Naas branch, Grand Canal - his stud farm if off to the right.)

Pict4792.jpg

I have some connection with Bill Fen, John Chapman moored his Narrowboat Frogmoore II there for a couple of years and I helped John black and repaint Frogmoore using the Sholtbolts amazing narrowboat trailer. Steve, the fabricator at Riversdale, where Earnest moors in Ireland comes from around Ramsey and worked with John Shotbolt and Nick Branson. He is just dying to build me a Branson Thomas barge, but I would prefer that to be in England, so it got a UK CE mark.

",ive been reading all about earnests exploits on the middle level"

Is there a travel / cruise log around then as I plan to explore the Middle levels this year in my 60' NB. My biggest fear is getting stuck in a dead (un turnable) end.

Biggles

I bet you a fiver you won't get round at Ramsey :lol:

Middle Level ends

If you start up New Dyke, don't bottle out, there is a 70ft winding point at the end and a nice mooring.

If you get under Exhibition Bridge (best in the winter as the level is kept down...but then you will run out of water at the end of Yaxley Lode, beyond the railbridge) you will have a jolly time winding in Black Ham / Yaxley Lode, but it is possible.

Both ends of Bevill's Leam (blocked by the 1980's pumping station) is an easy wind for a 60ft NB.

If you carry on down the 16ft Drain to the (very) low Mullicourt Aquaduct, you can wind a 70ft NB.

If you go down Great Raveley Drain, you can wind a 60ft NB in an outlet by a modern windpump.

If you carry on down the stub of Old Popham's Eau towards Nordelph you will be coming out backwards.

If you go down Monk's Lode you will be coming out backwards.

If you carry on down the 40ft to Horeseway lock (route through to Old Bedford now shut), you will be coming out backwards.

Other than that it is now all circular / through routes.

Please respect the Norton's at Marmont Priory Lock...they OWN it!

They also know where every moving boat is on the Middle Level.

For advanced reversing / bowhauling, try the Witham (bearly) Navigable Drains.

Compared to the WND, the ML is a breeze :lol:

I bet you a fiver you won't get round at Ramsey :lol:

Don't accept - we can JUST scrape a 54 footer round there.

Did you mention Holme Fen? There's a winding hole at the end, but few people ever make it to the end.... We spent Boxing Day 2007 poling out backwards.

Don't accept - we can JUST scrape a 54 footer round there.

Did you mention Holme Fen? There's a winding hole at the end, but few people ever make it to the end.... We spent Boxing Day 2007 poling out backwards.

We must have done well with 58ft 6ins. That was after driving the bows up the piled corner, someone holding it there on the bow rope and brushing the fender and rudder along the other bank. At the time of our last passge down there in 2001 the wooden piled moorings at Ramsey were in a terrible state, which helped us get round. Have these been repaired?

errr...Holme Fen at the end of New Dyke? We thought it fairly easy going to the end, though somewhat narrow. I believe it was one of John Shotbolt's fav places and he dredged out the winding point.

I bet you would accept the challenge of getting the longest possible Narrowboat through Welches Dam :lol:

...if it ever re-opens :lol:

At the time of our last passge down there in 2001 the wooden piled moorings at Ramsey were in a terrible state, which helped us get round. Have these been repaired?

Err, no. SInce the floods in February, they are mainly in bits on the bank spread out between Well's Bridge and Ramsey Forty-foot. :lol:

errr...Holme Fen at the end of New Dyke? We thought it fairly easy going to the end, though somewhat narrow. I believe it was one of John Shotbolt's fav places and he dredged out the winding point.

We should make an attempt using the Melaleuca-Warrior pushme-pullyou. That way if we get stopped we can get back easily.

I bet you would accept the challenge of getting the longest possible Narrowboat through Welches Dam :lol:

Well, Melaleuca is 60ft, so we're doomed on that one.

MP.

Warrior is 54' for this very reason. When we went up Holme Fen on Boxing Day, someone had cut a tree down blocking the water way about 300 yards from the winding hole, which is why we had to pole back for a while. John was not best pleased, he said that he would have a word! failing that he would send Lyn up :lol:

Warrior is 54' for this very reason. When we went up Holme Fen on Boxing Day, someone had cut a tree down blocking the water way about 300 yards from the winding hole, which is why we had to pole back for a while. John was not best pleased, he said that he would have a word! failing that he would send Lyn up :lol:

Jim, I am disapointed in you, what with that nice tug deck to work from! :lol::lol:

sawman.jpg

Jim, I am disapointed in you, what with that nice tug deck to work from! :lol::lol:

sawman.jpg

Neil

some of the comments on the tuesday night club have been acted upon,i live close to the river glen and was boating there last summer,the hidden hazzards are now well sign posted,also the footbridge on the welland has been replaced with a nice new shiney steel one that has oodles of draught height.

your web site make for excellent reading and thank you for all the work that you have put into it,i was up near the tent at Newark and my wife was asking me "can we go there" as she pointed to the road map,ill have to check with the tuesday night club website my dear for further info :lol::lol:

Neil

some of the comments on the tuesday night club have been acted upon,i live close to the river glen and was boating there last summer,the hidden hazzards are now well sign posted,also the footbridge on the welland has been replaced with a nice new shiney steel one that has oodles of draught height.

your web site make for excellent reading and thank you for all the work that you have put into it,i was up near the tent at Newark and my wife was asking me "can we go there" as she pointed to the road map,ill have to check with the tuesday night club website my dear for further info :lol::lol:

I am afraid the TNC website all grew from one page. It also has the most terrible navigation system....but if you persist all the hard to do / interesting bits are there, but it is pretty sparse on popular bits content. Obviously Martin Clark's "Pennine Waterways" website, with it's slick interface gives the best coverage on the waterways up there.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/

Many of you may not know of Michel Van De Berge's "Walking the BW" website...it is getting on for having a picture of virtually every lock, bridge and structure from a towpath perspective.

http://www.thebw.net/