Boat Security

AllanO

Featured Posts

I would be grateful for member's advice on boat security.

I have just had my boat broken into. The steel bow doors were forced breaking one bolt and splintering the frame around the other. The perpetrators apparently tried to make a cup of coffee; the stove top was open and the kettle moved. The gas isolation tap in the galley was off and the padlock was removed from the gas locker and a full second gas cylinder partly opened. No further damage was done and no coffee was made but my neighbours boat was also broken into and his stove and water used with a jar of coffee from my boat!

The police have been informed and have visited and apparently two other boats a few miles away were also broken into.

My mooring is a BW online facility in what I thought was a peaceful small village in Wiltshire on the K & A. I am now considering what to do to make my boat more secure. The necked and barrel bolts on the bow doors do not seem adequate and padlocks seem to be removed with ease. I am considering a Boat Shield system. Are these still available and recommended? As far as I can tell they will detect an intrusion but will obviously not prevent a break in and the damage caused by this.

Apart from the coffee jar the only loss I have suffered on this occasion has been the damage caused by the break in and some lost gas. Stronger padlocks, iron bars etc may be more robust but a dedicated criminal will get past anything. I am slightly concerned that with a BoatShield, when the alarm sounds, the felons may be tempted to trash the boat first before beating a hasty retreat. Are you less likely to suffer significant loss if the boat is less secure.

I would be interested in members opinions.

I have just had my boat broken into. The steel bow doors were forced breaking one bolt and splintering the frame around the other. The perpetrators apparently tried to make a cup of coffee; the stove top was open and the kettle moved. The gas isolation tap in the galley was off and the padlock was removed from the gas locker and a full second gas cylinder partly opened. No further damage was done and no coffee was made but my neighbours boat was also broken into and his stove and water used with a jar of coffee from my boat!

The police have been informed and have visited and apparently two other boats a few miles away were also broken into.

My mooring is a BW online facility in what I thought was a peaceful small village in Wiltshire on the K & A. I am now considering what to do to make my boat more secure. The necked and barrel bolts on the bow doors do not seem adequate and padlocks seem to be removed with ease. I am considering a Boat Shield system. Are these still available and recommended? As far as I can tell they will detect an intrusion but will obviously not prevent a break in and the damage caused by this.

Apart from the coffee jar the only loss I have suffered on this occasion has been the damage caused by the break in and some lost gas. Stronger padlocks, iron bars etc may be more robust but a dedicated criminal will get past anything. I am slightly concerned that with a BoatShield, when the alarm sounds, the felons may be tempted to trash the boat first before beating a hasty retreat. Are you less likely to suffer significant loss if the boat is less secure.

I see your point about the less secure bit. Perhaps if something is so obviously highly secured then this may well be too much of a magnet to the dedicated thief. Its likely that less damage will occur if security is a lot less but nothing gets away from the fact - high security or low security - I guess the boat will never feel the same again after knowing that someone has been on there uninvited with full intentions of robbing anything you have of any value. Its sickening what people will do for money/drugs/thrills/fun! :lol:

Really sorry to hear about the break in, it happened to me in a house I had many years ago and it never felt the same after that.

Kay

x

Could you consider getting a built in lock on your door instead? We had an attempted break in at Xmas they tried to force our steel doors open to get in, but they fit very flush and have a built in Yale Lock - the forcing didn't work. I think our doors saved us from a break-in.

Criminals will break in regardless of whether something looks overly secured or not, all they are after is something to make money with, usually to exchange for drugs or weapons, if there's a door or window in the way, they will break it open and get in, and if there's no alarm system in place, they get away with it as nobody is alerted... :lol:

My advice, get an alarm, even a car alarm would suffice as they can detect vibrations from someone wrenching a door open, or come up with your own system using a microswitch in the door frame and a small siren hidden somewhere (fake mushroom vent?)... :lol:

You can even get stick-on alarms for less than a fiver for a pack of two or three, they're cheap enough and a re bl**dy loud!!!

You can't protect when you don't defend... :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke

I've wondered about this, do you make your boat so secure that if someone tries to get in they break something, or do you just have token security so minimal damage is done and all you've lost are a few bits and bobs. I've been in the minimum security camp since someone broke into my caravan, they took nothing, but it cost £700 to have the door fixed.

I suppose if it's your home you have to go the high security route.

My boat rarely has much of value on it except when I'm cruising, then I rely on a silent alarm which rings me if anyone gets on board. I'll never be more than the nearest pub away in those circumstances so I should be able to get there and see them off. I woke up one night to find someone dangling through the hopper window going through things on the worktop. Fortunately it was only the remains of the nights curry. I hope the sight of a naked me rushing towards them gave them a fright they won't forget, unfortunately I didn't catch him.

Unless I'd seen it I wouldn't have believed that a full grown human could get his torso through one of those hoppers.

You've got to wonder about someone being desperate enough to break in for a cup of coffee. Must be in dire straights.

Having had my mums house broken into on NYE by them smashing the window in the double glazed back door I am of the opinion that if they are really determined there is not much you can do apart from live in a window and door less steel box...then they can use a cordless angle grinder.........they also stole all the (hidden) keys but didnt unlock the door to get out......BTW no-one heard anything or noticed that the car had been nicked from the drive until we went down 5 days later to collect the post and found it all.......not nice at all so I can really sympathise...

I have now had fitted an all singing and dancing alarm to the house which is connected to a monitoring station........and my must has testeed it by setting if off........dont ask!!!

The company which fitted the house alarm has fitted them to sea going boats (they are based in essex) using GSM diallers so that may be a way to go......however dont know if they can alert the police as I think you have to be registered with your local force which might not be practical for a moving target like a boat.......however they could be set to alert you or a neighbour etc

Feel free to PM if anyone wants the companies details.....

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks for your replies. There seems to be a trend towards alarming a boat one way or the other. Heavy duty locks might help as well. The BoatShield seems to have been superceded by the Nautilarm.

Anyone any experience of it?

Criminals will break in regardless of whether something looks overly secured or not, all they are after is something to make money with, usually to exchange for drugs or weapons...........

Geez, has the price of coffee risen so much in the downturn? :lol:

Where abouts on the K&A were you moored, was your boat left unattended over night?

The nice areas like Kintbury, Hungerford, Little and Great Bedwyn, Croften, Wooten Rivers, Pewsey etc have all in the past had the odd problem with breakins on boats but its mostly as you have found a bit of food, drink and some clothes go missing then its just the damage to the boat to sort out, cars get broken into and vandalised on a regular basis in the towpath car parks along there, it's a real shame because it is such a nice area.

I hope it all sorts out for you

Paul

Criminals will break in regardless of whether something looks overly secured or not, all they are after is something to make money with, usually to exchange for drugs or weapons...........

That's not entirely true, theives burglars will always prefer an easy target, they are lazy by nature, and the time factor of being in and out quickly, weather a house or boat is usually their primary concerne. In addition visibly poor security can actually attract casual theft from the opportunist.

Someone posted a great alarm system and tracking device for boats just the other day on another thread. Considering the boat thefts lately £400 quid for a good security system is pretty good value IMO

I would think that not many thieves try to enter a boat they think is occupied?

Security is something that concerns me too. I feel reasonably secure about it when I leave it in the marina - but I really would like something more solid than just a couple of padlocks when I leave it anywhere else. This W/e I am measuring the diesel cap to see if I can fit a locking one - one step at least!

Stickleback

Security is something that concerns me too. I feel reasonably secure about it when I leave it in the marina - but I really would like something more solid than just a couple of padlocks when I leave it anywhere else. This W/e I am measuring the diesel cap to see if I can fit a locking one - one step at least!

Stickleback

At least you have a couple of padlocks. The lock on the cabin door of ours is little more than a glorified diary lock and the thousands of pounds worth of nav gear on the dash are under a canvas cover. Very secure!!!! You just have to be a little trusting and pick your mooring spots well.

At least you have a couple of padlocks. The lock on the cabin door of ours is little more than a glorified diary lock and the thousands of pounds worth of nav gear on the dash are under a canvas cover. Very secure!!!! You just have to be a little trusting and pick your mooring spots well.

I think that goes for most of us - if you leave a boat unattended in a dodgy or remote location, it will be an invitation to potential burglars. However secure you think a boat is, if a burglar has the means and the time, he/she will break in.

I think that goes for most of us - if you leave a boat unattended in a dodgy or remote location, it will be an invitation to potential burglars. However secure you think a boat is, if a burglar has the means and the time, he/she will break in.

It's increasing the amount of time it would take to break in that I want to achieve! I'm sure, if there are a line of boats moored for an evening, any dodgy persons wanting to break into a boat would go along the line pretty quickly, assessing which were the most vulnerable and would want to have been in and away before the owners came back from shops / pub etc.

It's increasing the amount of time it would take to break in that I want to achieve! I'm sure, if there are a line of boats moored for an evening, any dodgy persons wanting to break into a boat would go along the line pretty quickly, assessing which were the most vulnerable and would want to have been in and away before the owners came back from shops / pub etc.

Amongst the people i've spoken to that have suffered break-ins the majority have happened when the boat had been left unattended overnight. The odd time boats have been 'attacked' whilst people have been on board (including myself) there was no obvious signs from the outside that the boat was occupied.

Just leaving a light on or a radio at night might just be enough to cut your odds of being a victim to a minimum.

Paul

Amongst the people i've spoken to that have suffered break-ins the majority have happened when the boat had been left unattended overnight. The odd time boats have been 'attacked' whilst people have been on board (including myself) there was no obvious signs from the outside that the boat was occupied.

Just leaving a light on or a radio at night might just be enough to cut your odds of being a victim to a minimum.

Paul

I do not live on my boat and the break in happened when the boat was unattended. I am certainly investing in stronger padlocks etc but as has been mentioned by several, thieves will get in whatever you do. That is why I am looking at electronic detection systems linked to mobile phones. I do have a mobile signal at my mooring but get very poor satellite TV and broadband reception. The mooring is in a shallow cutting. I am looking at the Nautilarm system. Has anyone experience of the reliability of this unit in a poor signal area. If a mobile phone works will the alarm message be sent?

Paul

I think a closed padlock on view sends a clear signal that the boat is unoccupied, perhaps better to lock up by other concealed means and leave padlock and hasp in place but left open?

Stickleback

On my epic first nb boating journey from Bidford on Avon to Barrow on Soar(Quorn) i was glad of having my German Shephard bitch with me. Not that i had any trouble on route,but despite being an athletic male of prime age :lol: i felt so secure. Going on shopping recces obviously i could not take her with me so she was good to have alone aboard while i went hunting.

Providing the burgular was another dog she would fight to the death,otherwise just makes all the right convincing deterent noises!

Now as said it is reasonably secure in the Marina . She now looks after my van whilst in the back when i'm out and about like in Loughborough.

Obviously not on if you leave your boat unattended for lengthy periods,but for the livaboard and cruise scene ideal!

David L.

:lol: Steel front and rear doors, portholes and a bloody big dog have done it for me for many years..........it also helps if u liveaboard so kick out the rugrats, flog the house and enjoy.. :lol:

I think a closed padlock on view sends a clear signal that the boat is unoccupied, perhaps better to lock up by other concealed means and leave padlock and hasp in place but left open?

Indeed a padlock is like a 'there's nobody here' flag, rippling in the breeze. and external locking padlocks, specially as so often see on stern doors, mean you can easily find yourself locked in and unable to escape in the event of a quick exit being required.

One idea I had was to wire in miniature maplin 12v bulbs to a paraffin hurricane light. they give the impression of being a burning wick and if you hang one of these in the window it looks like there must be someone there because there's a lamp burning.. they use very little power.

couple of these bulbs duck taped together then fitted in place of the wick

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25544

One of the best alarm systems I have ever seen on a boat was a movement triggered adio system that played a recording of a dog barking and growling. The person who had it said it was on the boat whem he bought it, but thought that it was a commercially manufactured item.

The main problem I could forsee was annoying your neighbours with the constant barking, each time a boat went past, or in windy weather (a bit like those car alarms that go off at four in the morning when a cat jumps on the car).

One of the best alarm systems I have ever seen on a boat was a movement triggered adio system that played a recording of a dog barking and growling. The person who had it said it was on the boat whem he bought it, but thought that it was a commercially manufactured item.

The main problem I could forsee was annoying your neighbours with the constant barking, each time a boat went past, or in windy weather (a bit like those car alarms that go off at four in the morning when a cat jumps on the car).

They keep the cats off the cars though :lol: