Narrowboat Tug HARRY

doomed1

Featured Posts

Excuse me mr Wonderwall But i was asking for opinions,Just trying to gauge what other folk think.Good & bad.I was hoping for an opinion from Domonic.He seems to have sold some nice tugs in the past.

thanks.

I think the National Union of Boat Brokers wouldn't approve of one brother member commenting on the merits or otherwise of another brother member's sale!

The members of the Association of ApolloDuck Tyrekickers (amongst which I count myself) seem agreed that -- on paper -- it looks an interesting proposition.

I think the National Union of Boat Brokers wouldn't approve of one brother member commenting on the merits or otherwise of another brother member's sale!

The members of the Association of ApolloDuck Tyrekickers (amongst which I count myself) seem agreed that -- on paper -- it looks an interesting proposition.

Agreed, many virtual tyres kicked in this house.But this one is extra nice.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just bought Harry (Subject to survey) through VC Marine and will be bringing her to her new home in the Midlands within the next couple of weeks.

There was a serious boat fire on the K&A on Monday night according to the local papers and concerned it may be someone I know, I popped down this lunchtime as soon as I found out. I hadn't been expecting to be the bearer of bad news but Tunneltug I suggest you contact the broker immediately, if you haven't already been in touch, as most unfortunately the burnt out boat is Harry. The exact location is above Midgham Lock (no.92) just beyond the lock landing.

Hopefully by now all those concerned will now be aware. (There was someone just leaving with some salvaged posessions when I arrived so I presume this was the current owner.) This could also well be a case where purchasing through a known brokerage will prove to be the best decision Tunneltug could have made.

Newbury Weekly News

Reading Chronicle

Reading Evening Post

In a week where two other boats are still missing presumed stolen, to have another incident involving possible arson so close to home is really quite disturbing. Newbury Police are asking for witnesses - see the Newbury Weekly news link above.

3365662550_f8046e5b68.jpg

3364843679_1535ac4e4b.jpg

There was a serious boat fire on the K&A on Monday night according to the local papers and concerned it may be someone I know, I popped down this lunchtime as soon as I found out. I hadn't been expecting to be the bearer of bad news but Tunneltug I suggest you contact the broker immediately, if you haven't already been in touch, as most unfortunately the burnt out boat is Harry. The exact location is above Midgham Lock (no.92) just beyond the lock landing.

<text links snipped>

3365662550_f8046e5b68.jpg

3364843679_1535ac4e4b.jpg

Looking at the photographs, it would seem that the fire has been confined to the area forward of the galley - if that is the case, the boatman's cabin (which is one of the nicest features) and engine room may well be undamaged and it will be possible to re-commission 'Harry'. Hopefully this can be done through a claim to the owner's insurance company. It is/was a really nice boat and it would be good to see it properly restored.

That's a real shame, there are some really ignorant selfish people about and unfortunately they sometimes come to play on the canals.

I was wondering how Harry was getting away with being dumped for long periods, any boat left in this area unattended even for a few days is lucky if its not broken into, Harry has been there for months.

There is a rumour of another local to the K&A 'boater' has been arrested for stealing diesel, caught on camera by a vigilant boater.

Paul

yes very sad but to my untutored eye the hull and superstructure does not seem to be badly damaged.Probably done by the same sort of people who steal cars then burn them out. I hope they are caught but i am fairly pessimistic about that.

It is a shame also that the only comment on the news link is as inaccurate in its historical statement and boat terminology as it is ill considered bearing in mind the event being written about.It is more a debate for on this site,in fact i know it has been debated here .

Edited by greywolf

I really feel for the buyer - and the seller. It is a good looking tug from the photos, nice lines, the sort of boat I say to myself, if I didn't have a boat already...............

Of course, seing it as it was in the flesh is all important. It also seems that the fire was not so intense as to warp the superstructure - but once again, you need to be there in the flesh to make certain. But you will be facing a major refit with probably a good deal of smoke damage. Work that you may well not want to do or pay for.

Whatever you decide, Tunneltug, I wish you the best, and hope your heart is not too broken. Mine would be, in your position.

I really feel for the buyer - and the seller. It is a good looking tug from the photos, nice lines, the sort of boat I say to myself, if I didn't have a boat already...............

Whatever you decide, Tunneltug, I wish you the best, and hope your heart is not too broken. Mine would be, in your position.

I am gutted too. I was also interested in buying Harry and went down to look at it with my wife a couple of weekends ago. We just couldn't make up our minds (the cost of the needed TLC and the deep draught were issues we needed to work through!) and were so disappointed to phone up John Currer on Tuesday only to find that it had gone to someone else.

It was a lovely boat and felt very solid too. It needed a bit of TLC - a lot more now. I do hope it can be restored.