Slowing down for moored boats

Steve3

Featured Posts

If people are moored up correctly it shouldnt matter if people dont slow to a crawl to pass them. The boat may move but hey it is on water after all.

Your right to go past at speed ends when my wife is about to give herself an injection.

Your right to go past at speed ends when my wife is about to give herself an injection.

Maybe but is giving yourself an injection whilst aboard a boat which will move a wise idea?

Does the wind not have the right to blow because she is giving herself an injection?

Maybe but is giving yourself an injection whilst aboard a boat which will move a wise idea?

Does the wind not have the right to blow because she is giving herself an injection?

I agree with Phylis on this one, although the point might have been put less abrasively. Even a slow passing boat can bump a moored boat and if you are about to undertake any kind of delicate procedure it would be wise to be prepared. You can often feel your boat shift on the mooring before you can hear an approaching boat - or is that just my deafness?

Edited by journeyperson

I agree with Phylis on this one, although the point might have been put less abrasively. Even a slow passing boat can bump a moored boat and if you are about to undertake any kind of delicate procedure it would be wise to be prepared. You can often feel your boat shift on the mooring before you can hear an approaching boat - or is that just my deafness?

Not just you. Every boat moves as another is approaching. You can normally tell how large/fast it is moving as well.

You're right in one respect but, if everybody performed the harmless act of slowing down, we'd only have to guard against unfortunate accidents, instead of needless inconsiderate speeding.

I still don't understand the argument in favour of not slowing down.

It is the almost effortless act of moving the throttle lever, or wheel, resulting in no inconvenience to the moving boat but minimising any risk of incident, on the stationary one.

Apart from the selfish "Why should I have to slow down?" response, I can't see any other justification for speeding.

You're right in one respect but, if everybody performed the harmless act of slowing down, we'd only have to guard against unfortunate accidents, instead of needless inconsiderate speeding.

It is the almost effortless act of moving the throttle lever, or wheel, resulting in no inconvenience to the moving boat but minimising any risk of incident, on the stationary one.

Apart from the selfish "Why should I have to slow down?" response, I can't see any other justification for speeding.

Its always wise to not have needles around whilst speeding. :lol:

On a more serious note though, im all for slowing down past moored/stationary boats. What i dont like is the people on these boats screaming at others to slow down because their boat is moving. What do they expect its on water. If they want a home that doesnt move maybe they should get a house.

Its always wise to not have needles around whilst speeding. :lol:

On a more serious note though, im all for slowing down past moored/stationary boats. What i dont like is the people on these boats screaming at others to slow down because their boat is moving. What do they expect its on water. If they want a home that doesnt move maybe they should get a house.

There is no spelling mistake, in my post.

I agree that there are people who over-react, hysterically, in both camps but, as I am unable to judge the demeanour, of the occupant in the moored boat I'm approaching, I slow down anyway.

Yes, I agree it is considerate to slow down and not slowing down can make things very uncomfortable for moored boats. Occasionally I slip into a reverie and suddenly realise I am bearing down on a boat at (relative) speed. That happened once yesterday. Sorry about that!

We did have one live-aboard screaming at us to slow down as we approached, so we did, we put it in full reverse right next to her boat, asked her if that was better as we came to an abrupt halt next to her boat then set off as fast as we dared leaving behind a nice lot of very confused water right next to her boat. The chap on the huge barge next door found it quite amusing and gave us a round of applause. The miserable old bat hasnt said a word since.

I don't think anyone is in favour of not slowing down at all, and if they are I am not with them. The problem is always what degree of slowing is acceptable to the stationary boat and the moving one.

Some moving boats think backing off a fraction is OK even in shallow water with a deep draught when water movement will still be excessive. Others slow to absolute tickover with a shallow boat in deep water.

Some moored boats accept that moving boats means moving water and tie up accordingly. I used to have eight lines on Alton on her permanent mooring. Other moored boats tie up with a single strand of 6mm polyprop (yes I have seen it and it was a steel narrowboat). Still others scream and shout if you are barely moving and seem to prefer a canal green over with weed.

I always judge my speed according to circumstances. A permanent mooring on rings in deep wide water gets the least speed reduction when passing. An overnighter on the towpath on pins in shallow water gets the most reduction.

George ex nb Alton retired

• 2 weeks later...

muhaaaaaaaaaaaa =^..^=

shropshire canal today i was told or should say ordered to slow down twice.

one was a woman some 10 feet from her boat sitting down with friends drinking waving her hands i was on tick over at the time i rather thought it was for the benefit of her friends none of the other ten or so boats moored behind had any complaints other than hello.

2nd was a few hrs later on a live aboard that looked like a run down council estate same thing on more abusive so i stopped confronted him to his suprise i invited him to try my boat on tick over since his reply was tick over my arse he declined.

supposed to be relaxing fun hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe i should fit 2 x 159 horse outboards to my 70 foot narrow boat and try a spot of water skiing next time :lol:

ill go with the not moored properley brigade and the other side of those that think there the admiral of the fleet

take care all coz i care rgds mike :lol:

muhaaaaaaaaaaaa =^..^=

shropshire canal today i was told or should say ordered to slow down twice.

one was a woman some 10 feet from her boat sitting down with friends drinking waving her hands i was on tick over at the time i rather thought it was for the benefit of her friends none of the other ten or so boats moored behind had any complaints other than hello.

2nd was a few hrs later on a live aboard that looked like a run down council estate same thing on more abusive so i stopped confronted him to his suprise i invited him to try my boat on tick over since his reply was tick over my arse he declined.

supposed to be relaxing fun hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe i should fit 2 x 159 horse outboards to my 70 foot narrow boat and try a spot of water skiing next time :lol:

ill go with the not moored properley brigade and the other side of those that think there the admiral of the fleet

take care all coz i care rgds mike :lol:

A friend of mine, when improperly accosted for speeding used to say "Fast? Naaaa. this is fast" and open the throttle wide.

George ex nb Alton retired

it would seem theres more fun here than the canal network itself =^..^=

WE THINK TO MUCH AND FEAL TO LITTLE

MORE THAN MACHINERY WE NEED HUMANITY

MORE THAN CLEVERNESS WE NEED KINDNESS AND GENTLENESS

WITHOUT THOSE QUALITIES LIFE WOULD BE VIOLENT AND ALL WOULD BE LOST

• 1 month later...

I must congratulate the hirers of the alvechurch hire boats "Dudley Castle" on attaining what looked like 6 mph after leaving Norton Junction headed towards Braunston and managed to rip the new planks out of the bank along with Old Friends. I have now re-instated, and might just cycle down to the Bottom Lock for a conversation.

Having been here 24 hours, the majority of non-slower-downers have been private not hire though.

I must congratulate the hirers of the alvechurch hire boats "Dudley Castle" on attaining what looked like 6 mph after leaving Norton Junction headed towards Braunston and managed to rip the new planks out of the bank along with Old Friends. I have now re-instated, and might just cycle down to the Bottom Lock for a conversation.

Having been here 24 hours, the majority of non-slower-downers have been private not hire though.

Isn't that boat one of their share boats?

Edited by Tiny

in my old NB i always slowed right down.

when i was bringing my new GRP Cruiser to my moring in MK, i was just over tickover comming past a boat that was run down etc etc etc, with a chap outside drinking a beer, who waved at me, and then shouted slow down your moving the water... honestly, it made me laugh im sorry i couldnt float past like a magic carpet mate!!

Moored up in soft ground on K&A, 6 pins, bow and stern lines + 2 spring lines, asked boat to slow down as it was dragging pins, "If you moor your boat properly you won't have any bother".

Rifle or shotgun?

I heard about a boater kept speeding past so someone put his cassette in his car, drove up to next bridge, waited patiently, and let then him have it!