Slowing down for moored boats

Steve3

Featured Posts

use Little Cal to upset a few of the slow down brigade.

Maybe someone will slip your moorings while you are away so as to upset you, oh the fun we can all have together!

Refusing to change your ways to avoid upsetting others is one thing, changing your own behaviour with the express intention of upsetting others is another matter altogether. Let's not go there.

Is this on a fine sunny day with not breeze , how many days do we get with these perfect conditions.

I do reduce speed but i am not reducing to 1mph for anyone when no problem exists if boats are moored correctly.

When we moor up; we tie up correctly (and I know its correct as my dad has spent fifty odd years on all sizes of ship, and gets quite pernickity about mooring and knots) but when people roar past us, it still rams our boat into the bank. Once someone went fast enough that the stern rope snapped and Linnet swung out and blocked the canal.

Probably cosmic payback though, 'cause she delayed the chap that had snapped it in the first place :lol:

Edited by Kez

Maybe someone will slip your moorings while you are away so as to upset you, oh the fun we can all have together!

Refusing to change your ways to avoid upsetting others is one thing, changing your own behaviour with the express intention of upsetting others is another matter altogether. Let's not go there.

Oh the joys of a comprehensive insurance policy. Damage my boat to your hearts content, it really isnt an issue. It either gets repaired or written off. Either way i have a boat or the cash to buy another one.

Whos changing their behaviour, im not. Taking the vessels tender out with her is hardly changing behaviour its what it is there for. Most of the time it stays on our home mooring or makes the trip to the boozer doesnt mean it cant go further afield with us.

Oh the joys of a comprehensive insurance policy. Damage my boat to your hearts content, it really isnt an issue. It either gets repaired or written off. Either way i have a boat or the cash to buy another one.

No intention of it, wouldn't dream of it.

Whos changing their behaviour, im not. Taking the vessels tender out with her is hardly changing behaviour its what it is there for. Most of the time it stays on our home mooring or makes the trip to the boozer doesnt mean it cant go further afield with us.

I'll just take Cal as close as i can get then use Little Cal to upset a few of the slow down brigade.

So you have always set out to upset people deliberately?!

Big plastic boat with a canopy on, loud music, high speed, selfish attitude.

You are beginning to look like a stereotype.

So you have always set out to upset people deliberately?!

Big plastic boat with a canopy on, loud music, high speed, selfish attitude.

You are beginning to look like a stereotype.

I dont set out to upset others on purpose, but my thoughts may well be changing on that.

Which stereotype would that be? One that is younger than yourself and who isnt interested in pottering around all day at 3mph in a tin tube.

But as will be used as a separate craft from her main boat and not being used for the purpose intended, surly then it will need standalone classification CarlT

Yes but it will be a "powered portable" craft, powered soley by an outboard motor, therefore it is exempt from the BSS.

I appear to be wrong, about the insurance (at least I can't find a reference to exemptions, other than for unpowered craft) but so are BW as I have been issued a powered portable licence, with no insurance.

Yes but it will be a "powered portable" craft, powered soley by an outboard motor, therefore it is exempt from the BSS.

I appear to be wrong, about the insurance (at least I can't find a reference to exemptions, other than for unpowered craft) but so are BW as I have been issued a powered portable licence, with no insurance.

Thanks for clearing that up Carlt

Chris

Which stereotype would that be? One that is younger than yourself and who isnt interested in pottering around all day at 3mph in a tin tube.

By and large, this forum is aimed precisely at those who are happy pottering around at about 3mph.

As I've said before, the clue is the "canal" bit in the name. If it were "powerboatworld" then the typical member might have different interests.

If I was interested in fabricating destructive machines for use on Robot Wars, I'd probably not chose to join a Cross-Stitching forum, then berate everybody on it for having such a boring hobby. :lol:

Does this mean that you're a dinghy? Unlike Baldock, I'm now thoroughly confused...

I dont set out to upset others on purpose, but my thoughts may well be changing on that.

Who wrote this then?

I'll just take Cal as close as i can get then use Little Cal to upset a few of the slow down brigade.
Which stereotype would that be? The stereotype of the big plastic cruiser with music blaring from it moving far too fast and not giving a toss. One that is younger than yourself Odd that you think age comes into it. who isnt interested in pottering around all day at 3mph in a tin tube. I think you may be on the wrong forum.

I have to say , Alan's right . I'm 28 , so a comparitive youngster , and I'd be lying if I said the acceptable speed level which I can travel at doesn't get tiresome at times , but nonetheless , I know how annoying it is when people steam past my boat at an unacceptable speed , so I stick to reasonable speeds .

I thought that narrowboats were refered to as "Sewer Tubes" in your area? :lol:

I thought that narrowboats were refered to as "Sewer Tubes" in your area? :lol:

There are a few references but none of which are suitable fodder for a "family" forum :lol:

I have to say , Alan's right . I'm 28 , so a comparitive youngster , and I'd be lying if I said the acceptable speed level which I can travel at doesn't get tiresome at times , but nonetheless , I know how annoying it is when people steam past my boat at an unacceptable speed , so I stick to reasonable speeds .

You dont have a choice though with a tin tube :lol:

Here's the link:

clicky

Nothing to do with me, really, I just googled "knitting robot".

Come on, you just used the phrase "cast off" on another thread, I bet you're knitting one, pearling one as we speak! :lol:

And I resent the implication that there's something wrong (effeminate?) with having craft skills. We did knitting and sewing at my school in the 70's and I thought at the time, these skills will come in handy in my later life. And they did. I hand sewed most of the convertible roof on my little Herald. And I knitted it a new head gasket, too.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and is allowed to do their own thing

Some boats need others to pass slowly, mine did when we took her for her rebuild. I agree that some people do go past unnesessarily slow; but by the same token, some people go to fast. In the end it is the speed that causes damage, be it to an old boat or to the towpath.

And I resent the implication that there's something wrong (effeminate?) with having craft skills.

No implication from me. I used to make my own clothes and am a dab hand with a sewing machine.

A sewing machine is just another tool and cloth is just another material to join together, to make something useful.

Can't hand sew to save my life, though.