Slowing down for moored boats

Steve3

Featured Posts

Unexpected , thought most could tell if a boat was coming 10 minutes before it arrives , sudden , does this mean slight movement till ropes take the bight , violent ,come on how can you describe any movement of a canal boat as violent ,unless them cooking are on the wine and crash into a wall.

Cooking on a boat , well give it your full attention as you are on a boat that is floating and liable to movement.

the only time i have ever seen boats being rocked about as you describe is when a load of lads ,drunk in charge of a large dinghy with outboards on decided it would be fun to make them rock and deliberately caused a huge wave.

Slow down a touch yes but keep things in the real world , boats move , water moves and if another boat is in the water being displaced that will move but it wont move that fast .

Hi all

so what speed should we slow down too please,

I wouldnt have thought going 4 knots would cause a wake, saying that Ive a lot to learn with Narrow boats.

When I was on the coast slowing down on a planing boat could be 8 knots. in Rivers 4 knots so how slow can a narrow boat go without losing stearage

Col

You should slow to the very minimum that you can without losing steerage. Most narrowboats will maintain steerage at tickover, so that is the speed to aim for.

It isn't about the wake that you create. It is all about the way that water moves about in a confined channel.

Basically, when moving on a canal, you are aimuing to move water from the front of the boat to the back of the boat. Because of the limited channel width available, this causes a noticable change in water level in front of and behind the boat. The faster a passing boat moves, the greater the level difference, and the more rapidly the water level rises and falls at the moored boat.

The absolute speed limit on canals is 4mph (that's mph, rather than knots). On many narrow canals, you cannot actually get much above 3mph without creating a breaking wash, and that must be avoided at all times, not just when passing moored boats (it damages the banks, and causes siltation). If you drop a narrowboat to tickover, whilst each boat is different, it would not be unusual to see a near immediate drop to 2mph, gradually falling off to 1.25-1.5 mph over the course of 50 yards.

You should have no difficulty whatsoever maintaining steerage at a little over 1 mph.

You should slow to the very minimum that you can without losing steerage. Most narrowboats will maintain steerage at tickover, so that is the speed to aim for.

It isn't about the wake that you create. It is all about the way that water moves about in a confined channel.

Basically, when moving on a canal, you are aimuing to move water from the front of the boat to the back of the boat. Because of the limited channel width available, this causes a noticable change in water level in front of and behind the boat. The faster a passing boat moves, the greater the level difference, and the more rapidly the water level rises and falls at the moored boat.

The absolute speed limit on canals is 4mph (that's mph, rather than knots). On many narrow canals, you cannot actually get much above 3mph without creating a breaking wash, and that must be avoided at all times, not just when passing moored boats (it damages the banks, and causes siltation). If you drop a narrowboat to tickover, whilst each boat is different, it would not be unusual to see a near immediate drop to 2mph, gradually falling off to 1.25-1.5 mph over the course of 50 yards.

You should have no difficulty whatsoever maintaining steerage at a little over 1 mph.

Depending on your vessel of course.

Some of us can not do 1mph.

The absolute limit isnt always 4mph. The Fossdyke (in its canal area) has a limit of 5mph.

The absolute limit isnt always 4mph. The Fossdyke (in its canal area) has a limit of 5mph.

But there again some of us are Canals not Canalised river sections

The Fossdyke, even in canal cuts, is a river waterway (BW Act 1971)

You are already well aware of my views on the subject of your speed. Your vessel is not capable of operating on a BW canal navigation without breaching the General Canal Bye-laws 1965, so it shouldn't be going there,

The Fossdyke, even in canal cuts, is a river waterway (BW Act 1971)

You are already well aware of my views on the subject of your speed. Your vessel is not capable of operating on a BW canal navigation without breaching the General Canal Bye-laws 1965, so it shouldn't be going there,

It can do 4mph if it must therefore it is capable of using a canal. Dead slow for very small lengths can be achieved at around 3mph or i could just drift with no steering if you preferred.

We dont breach any bye-laws.

It can do 4mph if it must therefore it is capable of using a canal. Dead slow for very small lengths can be achieved at around 3mph or i could just drift with no steering if you preferred.

We dont breach any bye-laws.

Bye-law 13

4mph is an absolute maximum. Bye-law 13 requires that you navigate so as to avoid endangering the safety of other vessels, their moorings or the canal banks. If you can't even get down to 3mph for more than very short lengths, you are incapable of obeying this bye-law.

Bye-law 13

4mph is an absolute maximum. Bye-law 13 requires that you navigate so as to avoid endangering the safety of other vessels, their moorings or the canal banks. If you can't even get down to 3mph for more than very short lengths, you are incapable of obeying this bye-law.

Would you prefer i smash it into reverse everYtime i see a moored boat and blast more water the other way damaging the banks further?

You know what i cant be bothered with you and your petty arguments.

Please ignore my posts and i will ignore yours. We will obviously never agree on anything so why waste time?

PS: I wont be not using my boat on your say so.

Would you prefer i smash it into reverse everYtime i see a moored boat and blast more water the other way damaging the banks further?

You know what i cant be bothered with you and your petty arguments.

Please ignore my posts and i will ignore yours. We will obviously never agree on anything so why waste time?

PS: I wont be not using my boat on your say so.

No, I would prefer that you accepted that your boat is incapable of operating legally on the BW canal navigations.

As to ignoring your posts, I have no particular wish to engage in any form of discourse with you, but if you choose to pass comment on something I say, I will feel free to respond to it.

I'm quite sure that you will continue to use your boat, and that you will do so at speeds that contravene Bye-laws 13 and 14. I can only hope that one day officialdom catches up with you.

No, I would prefer that you accepted that your boat is incapable of operating legally on the BW canal navigations.

As to ignoring your posts, I have no particular wish to engage in any form of discourse with you, but if you choose to pass comment on something I say, I will feel free to respond to it.

I'm quite sure that you will continue to use your boat, and that you will do so at speeds that contravene Bye-laws 13 and 14. I can only hope that one day officialdom catches up with you.

Before you snitch? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

EDITED TO SAY: Damn i got sucked in again!!!!

You like demanding things from people dont you?

Edited by Phylis

is this wrote down somewhere in bw laws /rules or just your advice.

. If you drop a narrowboat to tickover, whilst each boat is different, it would not be unusual to see a near immediate drop to 2mph, gradually falling off to 1.25-1.5 mph over the course of 50 yards.

So fifty yards away from moored boat we should aim to drop the revs , i have seen people run out of the boat shouting slow down as i approach and its is before i am 50yrds away.

Is this on a fine sunny day with not breeze , how many days do we get with these perfect conditions.

I do reduce speed but i am not reducing to 1mph for anyone when no problem exists if boats are moored correctly.

Can bring the dinghy and outboard if you like though :lol::lol::lol:

Is this on a fine sunny day with not breeze , how many days do we get with these perfect conditions.

I do reduce speed but i am not reducing to 1mph for anyone when no problem exists if boats are moored correctly.

No its in Mayallds ideal world where everybody sticks to the rules and never breaks the law. Therefore the weather is always prefect, it has to be or it breaks bye-law 6512. :lol:

Edited by Phylis

Can bring the dinghy and outboard if you like though :lol::lol::lol:

No its in Mayallds ideal world where everybody sticks to the rules and never breaks the law.

As long as it is legally licenced, insured has a BSS and you abide by the navigational by laws then that is not a problem

You don't require a BSS or insurance, for a dinghy and outboard.

But as will be used as a separate craft from her main boat and not being used for the purpose intended, surly then it will need standalone classification CarlT

Y A W N

oh deja vu

It might be boring for you but if these crying arse slow down merchants and the instructions they give out are not told people disagree with what they say ,want demand then they begin to think , more so ,that they are right in what they say.

bear with it and it could be fun.