Canals on Radio 5!!

Richard T

Featured Posts

Couldn't beleive my ears this afternoon - I was listening to the Radio 5 commentary on the Wigan Tottenham game when the commentator mentioned that the England manager was in the crowd and that he was then planning to to Old Trafford for the Man Utd Chelsea match. He went on to discuss what mode of transport he would use and finished by saying ' he could always go by boat, the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes this stadium (JJB) and the Bridgewater is outside Old Trafford'. What he didn't say was that it would take longer than the gap between these two fixtures.

As a regular Radio 5 listener its the first time I've heard canals mentioned.

Couldn't beleive my ears this afternoon - I was listening to the Radio 5 commentary on the Wigan Tottenham game when the commentator mentioned that the England manager was in the crowd and that he was then planning to to Old Trafford for the Man Utd Chelsea match. He went on to discuss what mode of transport he would use and finished by saying ' he could always go by boat, the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes this stadium (JJB) and the Bridgewater is outside Old Trafford'. What he didn't say was that it would take longer than the gap between these two fixtures.

There was a boat featured on "waterworld" or "Locks & quays" that was full of supporters going to a footie match, I think that was Manchester, they had a meal on the boat too.

There was a boat featured on "waterworld" or "Locks & quays" that was full of supporters going to a footie match, I think that was Manchester, they had a meal on the boat too.

It was United (who else) and I think it's a regular service, but very pricey. Mind you, it's arm-and-leg territory to get into Old Trafford these days.

Would have been worth it yesterday, though.

There are, of course, two football teams in Manchester ... Manchester United, and Manchester United Reserves.

It was United (who else) and I think it's a regular service, but very pricey. Mind you, it's arm-and-leg territory to get into Old Trafford these days.

Would have been worth it yesterday, though.

There are, of course, two football teams in Manchester ... Manchester United, and Manchester United Reserves.

It grieves me to say it, as a life long Chelsea fan, but I think you could have put out MU Reserves yesterday and still won. I think Van der Saar managed to read the entire Sunday Times including all the supplements during the 90 minutes, he had little else to do :lol:

To take this thread a little further - how many other football league grounds is it possible to travel to by canal boat? ie within about a kilometre of the ditch or river!

Easy ones for me are Nots County, and Forest where misbehaving visitor supporters get an early bath! Leicester City and switching codes the one and only Tigers. Stoke City, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Walsall, Wolves, the Baggies.

How many more are there?

To take this thread a little further - how many other football league grounds is it possible to travel to by canal boat? ie within about a kilometre of the ditch or river!

Easy ones for me are Nots County, and Forest where misbehaving visitor supporters get an early bath! Leicester City and switching codes the one and only Tigers. Stoke City, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Walsall, Wolves, the Baggies.

How many more are there?

Quite a few I should think. Not sure what Banbury Spencer are called these days, probably Banbury United. Almost certainly Coventry - I think I walked past their new ground on the towpath a couple of years ago.

I really wanted to add that The Baggies had a regular supporters boat from Gas Street to the Hawthorns a couple of years ago, and that certainly made the newspapers and the TV.

Is Walsall's new ground that close to the canal? I haven't been that way for a while.

There are lots of football grounds near to the network. Off the top of my head: -

Blackburn Rovers - L&L

Burnley - L&L

Wigan - L&L

Everton - L&L (not that close but walkable or take the Soccerbus from Sandhills station)

Liverpool - L&L (not that close but walkable or take the Soccerbus from Sandhills station)

Manchester United - Bridgewater

Manchester City - Ashton

Wolverhampton - BCN

Aston Villa - Birmingham & Fazeley

Birmingham City - Grand Union

Coventry City - Coventry

Fulham - Thames

Tottenham - Lee Navigation

Stoke City - Trent & Mersey

Northwich Victoria (new ground) - Trent & Mersey

Nottingham Forest - Trent

Notts County - Trent

Bristol City - River Avon

Lancaster City - Lancaster

Partick Thistle - Forth & Clyde Glasgow branch

I'm sure there are plenty more. I have been to watch football by boat four times, three to Ewood Park to watch my team Blackburn Rovers and once to see them play Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford.

Nuneaton Borough's ground is within easy walking distance of the canal. I think they're in the West Midlands Relegation Trophy League but I'm not sure.

Nuneaton Borough ( now playing in either the Southern League or Unibond Premier

divisions) no longer have a ground, it has become a housing complex!

They now share their new ground with Nuneaton Rugby Club.

A new ground got built just past the anderton lift right on the offside a couple of years ago , might be nantwich.

It is Northwich Victoria on the off side and Witton Albion on the towpath side, not more than a few hundred yards between them. I once very embarrassingly went to the wrong ground when both teams where at home on the same evening! :lol:

We pulled up at mooring right outside Rushton and Diamonds ground on one voyage...wandered over to the entrance..there was a match going on, it was half time and the guy on the gate let us in for the second half...it was an unexpected treat as me and my partner are both into football and we hadn't realised that we'd be so close to a ground..a couple of beers and a few snacks..wicked evening!

Do you remember which commentator it was?