lock cottage at cropredy

crosser

Featured Posts

i remember last summer that the old lock cottage in cropredy was sold at auction.. just wondered if anyone knows if its being restored? or who now owns it as im very interested in purchasing it if there willing to sell... any info would be great...

thanks

dave and mandy

I remember sometime in mid summer when I was asked to look out for this cottage as it was up for auction.

Apparently no road access,no power,no drainage,no gas etc.

Looks nice though

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

thats the one, sorry... i know it had no services but thats what i quite liked about it.. i know it sold with fisher german but they wont give me the details of new owner... do you know if any renovation has started?

Edited by crosser

thats the one, sorry... i know it had no services but thats what i quite liked about it.. i know it sold with fisher german but they wont give me the details of new owner... do you know if any renovation has started?

All that I know is that some work has teken place to make it more secure and that the new owners are boaters. We were a bit interested in the cottage and might have attended the auction if it wasn't so close to the wrong end of Banbury and the area designated by the Environment Agency as the site of a new flood protection reservoir for the River Cherwell. I believe it eventually sold for something under £100k but I guess that restoration and the provision of basic facilities will cost more than twice that.

hi sue, i would be very interested , do you have any more details? what sort of price was it for sale for?

thanks

mandy

Not a clue but I suspect someone from Stafford boat club would know. It is the first lock south of the club.

Sue

There could be one near Stafford boat club if anyone wants a lock cottage with no facilities. Someone was interested but pulled out.

Sue

Not only does it have no services but it has a culvert running under it which makes it uninsurable/unmortgageable (so the story I was told)

Tim

cheap sounds good... dont need a mortgage so no probs there... if anyone could get more info that would be great... i cant travel there as i am agoraphobic so my wife would have to deal with it.... many thanks

is it Deptmore Lock cottage ? thats the nearest one to the boat club i think...

cheap sounds good... dont need a mortgage so no probs there... if anyone could get more info that would be great... i cant travel there as i am agoraphobic so my wife would have to deal with it.... many thanks

is it Deptmore Lock cottage ? thats the nearest one to the boat club i think...

Yes we were trying to think of the name last night. If Stafford boat club can't help try posting for info on groups.yahoo.com/group/canals-list/ as a member did look at buying it.

Sue

i remember last summer that the old lock cottage in cropredy was sold at auction.. just wondered if anyone knows if its being restored? or who now owns it as im very interested in purchasing it if there willing to sell... any info would be great...

We passed (Little) Bourton Lock today on Epiphany - a couple of piccies on the blog. We noticed they had roof tiles stolen in October. It is owned by some boaters, who have obviously been entering into the seasonal spirit - wishing passers-by a Happy New Year.

As we wish everybody on the Forum.

Edited by Big John

thanks for the update ... i cant believe someone has stolen the tiles.. i think not living there while works are going on is a big risk as empty houses will always attract the vandals... its tempting to call the number to see if they wish to sell...

thanks for the update ... i cant believe someone has stolen the tiles.. i think not living there while works are going on is a big risk as empty houses will always attract the vandals... its tempting to call the number to see if they wish to sell...

Hi Crosser,

He who Dares... as someone once said!

You may be interested in this information that was recently published in the IWA Head Office Bulletin;

British Waterways Property Sales

Notwithstanding current concerns that HM Treasury may force the sale of all or part of British Waterways' commercial property portfolio, BW regularly reviews its property holdings, whether waterside or not, and whether held for operational purposes or otherwise, and reviews whether it needs to continue to own and maintain that property. Surplus property is then either sold, or held pending an opportunity to maximise proceeds when an appropriate opportunity comes along. Following a Freedom of Information question, BW has provided IWA with a full list of over 70 waterside properties sold during the 12 months to 30th September 2008, along with a little more detail about the properties than the legal minimum.

Property sales during the period include those that have already been well-reported in the press, such as the sale of its former Head Office building at Willow Grange in Watford. Other sales include the 50 acres Makins Fisheries site off the Trent & Mersey Canal, Tower Wharf development site at Chester, substantial land holdings in Brentford (to BW's joint venture company), the remaining parts of the Rosebank Distillery site in Falkirk (part was sold in 2004), Wharf House at Gailey (Staffs & Worcs Canal), Llanthony lock houses and land (sold to Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust), cottages alongside the Caledonian Canal formerly used by BW staff, Outram House at Whaley Bridge Wharf (Peak Forest Canal), Toll Office at Gas Street Basin (Birmingham), The Old Toll House at Norton Junction, Wood Wharf business park in London's Docklands (to BW's joint venture company) and lock cottages at Long Buckby, Batchworth, Cowroast and Marsworth (Grand Union Canal), Little Bourton (Oxford Canal), Tardebigge (Worcester & Birmingham Canal), Lapworth (Stratford-upon-Avon Canal), Loughborough (Soar Navigation) and Enfield (Lee Navigation).

A full list is available at www.waterways.org.uk/News/OtherWaterwaysNews/BWPropertySales

Wishing Everyone on CWDF a Very Happy, Healthy & Peaceful New Year.

thanks

dave and mandy

I've just got back from cruising that way, and met the new owner as I worked through the lock. Apparently the cottage went at auction for £140k to some people from London who bought it on spec. They then tried to back out of the purchase. Two weeks before they were due to complete a fire was started inside the cottage. It has damaged some of the interior joists but fortunately did not take hold in the roof before the fire brigade arrived.

The new owner lives on a boat at Cropredy and bought it from BW for an undisclosed sum after the collapse of the auction sale. He is now hoping to have it habitable by next winter. It has no mains services (which is true of other Oxford Canal lock cottages such as Claydon Top Lock and Somerton Deep) but as anyone who has lived on a boat on the canals knows, it is perfectly possible to live happily without utility bills. In fact, it is easier in a land based dwelling.

All that I know is that some work has taken place to make it more secure and that the new owners are boaters. We were a bit interested in the cottage and might have attended the auction if it wasn't so close to the wrong end of Banbury and the area designated by the Environment Agency as the site of a new flood protection reservoir for the River Cherwell. I believe it eventually sold for something under £100k but I guess that restoration and the provision of basic facilities will cost more than twice that.

Sorry to have missed you - stopped and tapped on the side on the way down but a little voice squeaked from inside, "Go away, we're not here." :lol:

thanks

dave and mandy

Have a look at http://narrowboathadar.blogspot.com/ they met the couple that owen it this week

I think Bones went to the auction?

yep.

I read Hadars blog today and was surprised to see the boaters that purchased it at Auction, didn't! Pleased to hear it is still in the hand of boaters, but would love to know how much it went for in the end.