Preparing my new button

Bones

Featured Posts

All of which begs a question.....

Two of our fenders have been replaced this year, each from different sources....

Both have what to the untrained eye looks like a natural rope outer.

But I have no idea what the core is in either.

I had assumed before this lively debate I should have been treating them with something.

Now it sounds like I could end up dunking something synthetic in something unsuitable.

It sounds like I should best leave alone ?

Discuss.

(I don't have a degree, despite a couple of university attempts, so you may freely assume I'm an idiot!).

(

Presumably if you were to hold a cigarette lighter flame briefly on the rope, you would establish whether it was synthetic (polypropylene) or natural. If it melts:- synthetic, if it burns:- natural. (don't set fire to it though!)

Rob

Two of our fenders have been replaced this year, each from different sources....

I had assumed before this lively debate I should have been treating them with something.

Now it sounds like I could end up dunking something synthetic in something unsuitable.

Discuss.

(I don't have a degree, despite a couple of university attempts, so you may freely assume I'm an idiot!).

Presumably if you were to hold a cigarette lighter flame briefly on the rope, you would establish whether it was synthetic (polypropylene) or natural. If it melts:- synthetic, if it burns:- natural. (don't set fire to it though!)

Rob

Now come on you two! This has been covered before.

You know full well that any talk of synthetic rope on this thread is not only pointless, but displays a complete ignorance of women's issues!

I won't tell you again! If you still don't understand I will contact the moderators who will forward your names for a compulsory gender-stereotyping awareness workshop. :lol:

Edited by blackrose

Now come on you two! This has been covered before.

You know full well that any talk of synthetic rope on this thread is not only pointless, but displays a complete ignorance of women's issues!

I won't tell you again! If you still don't understand I will contact the moderators who will forward your names for a compulsory gender-stereotyping awareness workshop. :lol:

oil of primrose for Blackrose promptly please mods.... :lol:

Rob

Could have an interesting effect if it's just been soaked in a petroleum-based product!

Could have an interesting effect if it's just been soaked in a petroleum-based product!

I had in mind that this test was carried out to determine whether or not to treat said fender. Not afterwards in order to destroy the evidence. :lol:

But how do I test what's in the middle ?

The "flame" test sounds a bit like the old "witch dunking". If she drowned, she was innocent, if she floated she was guilty.

As you try the match and the plastic rope fender bursts into flame, ending up as a pile of ash on the floor, you can say with some satisfaction, "that one would not have needed dipping in creosote" :lol:

Chris

I have a new button (hurrah! :lol:) I have been told to soak it in oil or creasote before I use it.... are both substances as good as eachother, or is one preferable?

Hi,

Have been watching this post with interest, it may have been stated elsewhere, but I find that soaking a 'button' does not preserve it that well, as they tend to go out of shape quickly and also wear. The best way of preserving them is to get a lenght of tyre, trimmed aroung the sidewall and carefully cut to avoid the wire in the tread area. This is then turned inside out, trimmed to lenght, and a drain hole cut in the bottom and then fitted around the fender, the feder and tyre are then tightened with a 'spanish' windlass and the two ends of the tyre bolted together. The windlass is released so that the button expands and foms a tight fit. It is then fitted to the boat.

Make sure the bolts used on both ends are fitted with big washers so that they do not pull through the tyre when in use.

Fender is then sheltered from the rain, any water will drop out the drain hole.

Needless to say works well no matter what type of rope used.

Leo.

I have synthetic rope fenders on the bow and stern and these are in the same condition as when I bought them nearly 4 years ago. If the correct grade of polymer has been used then they should last for years without any treatment and be resistant to most forms of degradation (bio-degradation, photo-degradation, hydrolytic degradation, etc).

Considering some of the issues raised here regarding the treatment of natural hemp fenders (including not knowing whether what is on the inside of the fender will be adversely affected), I wonder what the advantages of hemp fenders are exactly? If it's just about being a purist and knowing that your fenders are natural and not synthetic products, then what about all the other synthetic materials on your boat?

Edited by blackrose

The best way of preserving them is to get a lenght of tyre, trimmed aroung the sidewall and carefully cut to avoid the wire in the tread area. This is then turned inside out, trimmed to lenght, and a drain hole cut in the bottom and then fitted around the fender, the feder and tyre are then tightened with a 'spanish' windlass and the two ends of the tyre bolted together. The windlass is released so that the button expands and foms a tight fit. It is then fitted to the boat.

It sounds like you might as well use a tyre!

If you're going to wrap a fender in black rubber, what's the point having a fender?

It sounds like you might as well use a tyre!

If you're going to wrap a fender in black rubber, what's the point having a fender?

Yes, but tyres do make very good fenders even though they're frowned upon by many for aesthetic reasons.

I understand that in France the use of tyres as fenders is banned on the inland waterways because too many have come adrift from boats and ended up polluting the water.

Edited by blackrose

Getting back to the thread

Creosote readily available from farmers supplies, as is sodium chlorate.

Don't attempt to soak it while it's dangling over the cut, as you implied you might do in an earlier post, it'll kill lots of fish.

In my, admittedly, limited experience, fenders have a synthetic core and natural outer.

Cheers

Getting back to the thread

Creosote readily available from farmers supplies, as is sodium chlorate.

Don't attempt to soak it while it's dangling over the cut, as you implied you might do in an earlier post, it'll kill lots of fish.

In my, admittedly, limited experience, fenders have a synthetic core and natural outer.

Cheers

Handle Sodium Chlorate very carefully. If you bang it, it will explode. It's a constituent of a party cocktail named after a certain Mr Molotov!!!

Chris

Handle Sodium Chlorate very carefully. If you bang it, it will explode. It's a constituent of a party cocktail named after a certain Mr Molotov!!!

Chris

That's potassium chlorate. Sodium chlorate is quite stable in comparison.

Gibbo (who had a rather miss spent youth)

That's potassium chlorate. Sodium chlorate is quite stable in comparison.

Gibbo (who had a rather miss spent youth)

Potassium Chlorate is the chemical of choice for the afficianado, being very unstable. But don't go chucking its Sodium sister around either.

(another mis-spent youffff.)

Potassium Chlorate is the chemical of choice for the afficianado, being very unstable. But don't go chucking its Sodium sister around either.

(another mis-spent youffff.)

It's sister was always a very good oxidant. But potassium was certainly the best for detonators.

Should this even be discussed on here?

Gibbo

At school (many years ago!) someone managed to take a lump of sodium out of the science class. He dropped it down the toilet, expecting it to behave spectacularly, but was disappointed becasue all it did was to skate around on the surface. So he flushed it away; the pan exploded in a MOST spectacular fashion!

Creosote (like Cellulose paint) is still available from the trade outlets.

In this case that would be your local agricultural suppliers.

If you're near Herts, that would be Shepherds of Hertingfordbury. 5 litre barrels ~ £25.

As always at these places, dress appropriately, and make sure you sound like you know what your talking about.

Discuss.

I am an Idiot...I ended up spray painting mine