ANOTHER new marina

dor

Featured Posts

It is perfectly feasible for your boat to be a self-contained unit.

Not disputed Carl: contrary to what WJM contends I suspect many (but not all) marina users are like me and get on their boat for perhaps ten percent of the time and like the security of it being in a Marina the other 90% (or most of it, Ripple does get left moored to the towpath for a few weeks each year). The main facility I use is the security. I don't have an electric hook up, the marina doesn't have wi-fi. I do use the toilets (because if I'm paying a short visit to the boat as I did yesterday it's easier than turning all the on-board systems on) and would probably use the showers as they are bigger than the one on board and have hot water availalble instantly

We do have unofficial liveaboards at Saul: one commented that the marina is cheaper than the on-line moorings round here.

Leaving aside your self contained boat though, some of you (Dave Mayall, Liam) are being a little bit obtuse by referring to on-line moorings that have marina type facilities with them, most of them don't.

Edited to add: I'm happy that others want an-online mooring, is it too much to ask that others accept that I don't?

Edited by magpie patrick

are marina,s more secure ?

stuff i have read on here and other sites suggest that it may not be so.

and whats more when some dastardly deed is done in the marina,s the victims always seem to say or think that it is another resident who is the guilty party.

I can't let that one pass unchallenged....

We have only ever kept Chalice in a marina. That's not because I'm a "marina lover", but rather that that berth was available with the boat when I bought it.

I have heard of absolutely no problems whatsoever about security, so definitely no thefts or vandalism, or suspicion of fellow boaters.

Obviosly if Gaggle is right, there must be "good marinas" and "bad marinas" in this respect.

There are certainly reports of damage, break-ins & fuel thefts on the canal main line, so were I able to get a linear mooring there, I'd expect trouble more to be likely. (And I might get my car broken into whilst off cruising, to).

That said, if I was a live-aboard, I don't think I'd want to me on marina pontoon moorings, peering in to the next boat. It's horses for courses, really.....

Alan

and what age group is the younger generation ?

Well I reckon it must be younger than 32, 34 in my case or even 23 by Liam's.

It's fair to say that most (all bar one boat) of the non baby boomer boaters I know come from the rough and ready side of the tracks and are much less finicky than the inevitably elderly shiny boat brigade.

I reckon we start a yoof group! We can buy hoodies, run our engines 'til twenty past eight and hang around lockside harassing anyone spotted with tins of polish! :lol:

I'd always go for online moorings myself, I'm firmly of the opinion that boating's about sustainability and self sufficiency and the idea of being tethered to the outside world, to me, illustrates where boating lost it's track.

Not disputed Carl: contrary to what WJM contends I suspect many (but not all) marina users are like me and get on their boat for perhaps ten percent of the time and like the security of it being in a Marina the other 90% (or most of it, Ripple does get left moored to the towpath for a few weeks each year). The main facility I use is the security.

Edited to add: I'm happy that others want an-online mooring, is it too much to ask that others accept that I don't?

I thought we were talking about liveaboards, Patrick. Following the unfortunate incidents that befell my boats, I would rather have boats, that I am not living on, in a marina.

I accept that most people prefer the perceived security that living somewhere surrounded by other people gives. This is why there are more people living in marinas (and housing estates) that in rural areas.

I often find it strange that there are houses in towns worth several million pounds. If I had that money to spend on my home then I would live somewhere that you needed a car, to reach the front gate.

this has nothing to do with facilities, though. Living online can be as comfortable, and secure as living in a marina.

I have heard that a lot of the new marinas are only accepting boats of a certain length and over ...... and probably of a certain condition, too, although that is not mentioned.

Presumably, this is to keep the smaller [and by inference cheaper/nastier] boats out, and only cater for newer boats.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this, or is it just another rumour?

Leaving aside your self contained boat though, some of you (Dave Mayall, Liam) are being a little bit obtuse by referring to on-line moorings that have marina type facilities with them, most of them don't.

Not sure where you're coming from here? I did not comment on anything to do with the facilities (or lack of them) on linear moorings?

I have heard that a lot of the new marinas are only accepting boats of a certain length and over ...... and probably of a certain condition, too, although that is not mentioned.

Presumably, this is to keep the smaller [and by inference cheaper/nastier] boats out, and only cater for newer boats.

A local marina has a minimum length mooring of I think 45', smaller boats are welcome but must pay up for the 45'

Paul

Or alternatively it could be down to marina layout, particularly pontoon size.

If it's built with 60 foot pontoons, separated by two boat widths, then you can't easily put 2 times 30 foot boats on the same side of the same pontoon, as the inner one can't get out.

Put in a 50 foot boat, you waste 10 feet, 40 foot boat and waster 20 feet, etc....

My guess is that few would object to you bringing your 30, 40 or 50 foot boat in, as long as you pay the going rate for the 60 foot one they might have fitted there instead.

Alan, I was checking out the plan for the new Church Minshull marina which is due to open next year and noted that as you say, having a "conservation area" in one corner, next to the entrance, makes it difficult to put the longer boat there and so is limited to the smaller type of boat. Elsewhere in the marina can accomodate the 50ft, 60ft and 70ft boats but the 50ft pontoon moorings are the most popular.

Supply and demand :lol:

Well I reckon it must be younger than 32, 34 in my case or even 23 by Liam's.

It's fair to say that most (all bar one boat) of the non baby boomer boaters I know come from the rough and ready side of the tracks and are much less finicky than the inevitably elderly shiny boat brigade.

I reckon we start a yoof group! We can buy hoodies, run our engines 'til twenty past eight and hang around lockside harassing anyone spotted with tins of polish! :lol:

I'd always go for online moorings myself, I'm firmly of the opinion that boating's about sustainability and self sufficiency and the idea of being tethered to the outside world, to me, illustrates where boating lost it's track.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU DONT KNOW YOUR OWN AGE THAT'S THE ONSET OF SENILE DEMENTIA AND THE HOODIES MIGHT NOT LET YOU IN :lol:

Not sure where you're coming from here? I did not comment on anything to do with the facilities (or lack of them) on linear moorings?

Apologies Liam: I may be confusing what I know about your mooring (you have a club house etc) with what you actually said on this post. I suppose I'd assumed that the presence of these facilities influenced you liking for on-line moorings. if I'm wrong then apologies for misrepresenting you.

:grovellingsmiley:

Going back to the original post I dont think the Llangollen can cope with many more boats based on it . When Swanley opened it increased the usage of the Hurleston Locks to over 10,000 boat movements per annum . Since then other marinas have opened or are being built and there is bound to be a limit as to how many boats can use the canal without it being spoilt for the users with excessive delays at locks etc .

One day the Montgomery will be fully open and that will attract yet more boats - will duplication of the locks need to be considered in the future in order to keep traffic moving ?

Is 10,000 lock operations getting towards the limit.

if we say 6 boats / hour for 12 hours per day for 7 days per week for 26 weeks of the year to cover May to October as peak season then we get 13,104 boat movements per year. I know its rough but in terms of order of magnitude there ain't all that much capacity spare.

Is 10,000 lock operations getting towards the limit.

if we say 6 boats / hour for 12 hours per day for 7 days per week for 26 weeks of the year to cover May to October as peak season then we get 13,104 boat movements per year. I know its rough but in terms of order of magnitude there ain't all that much capacity spare.

Think 5,000 of those are July and August from what I have heard lol I am moored about 1 mile above Hurleston at present 4 boats so far today!! And after January nothing for 3 months GREAT

Turning a blind eye to unlimited liveaboards in marina's is a devious policy which will eventually cost the people living in them dearly. BW's (probably the Gov's too)ultimate long term aim is probably to completely scrap linear moorings and have everyone in a controlled environment. When they have acheived that aim, the moorers and residents will be stuffed and face even more vicious price hikes.

Marina's also seem to be getting used to circumnavigate planning guidelines for lower cost housing. The correct solution, especially for areas such as Wrenbury, would be to lower the draconian planning guidelines and permit more mobile homes, which would far more suitable and sensible solutions to housing shortages than boats.

There's a pub just north of Cosgrove on the GU (The Navigation Inn) and next to it is (by the winding hole) is a notice stating "New Marina to be built here soon".

Chris

I noticed that the other day too. There will be a Marina every mile or two soon on that stretch!

So we are all in agreement then - marinas have more facilities. That is that sorted then!

No, some marinas have more facilities, some do not.

It is open to debate whether a facility is a facility at all if you aren't interested in using it.

Marinas also LACK some facilities that on-line moorings have;

• Wide quayside
  • Reduced neighbour noise
  • Ability to have a small shore-side garden
  • Ability to have a decent sized barbie

Think 5,000 of those are July and August from what I have heard lol I am moored about 1 mile above Hurleston at present 4 boats so far today!! And after January nothing for 3 months GREAT

Strangely August at Hurleston is quieter than July and September although there is not a lot in it . I put this down to everyone thinking it was going to be really busy and going earlier or later to avoid the crowds but actually made it worse for themselves .

Not at all.

It is fine by me that there should be variety.

I personally prefer the on-line mooring, but I recognise that there is a limit to the number of such moorings that can be accomodated on the system (and that we are probably over that limit in places).

Oh, and I'm not being obtuse. I'm just pointing out that the black and white picture painted of Online/Marina is not necessarily true. There are many shades of grey, as quite a lot of on-line moorings have some facilities, whilst some marinas lack certain facilities (not all marinas provide electric hook-up for example).

Well if it reduces the number of linear moorings then Hooray!

And as for causing congestion - three quarters of all narrowboats (linear included) never go anywhere!

why hooray? whats the problem with going slow? isnt that the idea of boating on the canals? if youre looking for fast speeds try going to sea. maybe this because you cant get a linear mooring so no one else should have one

admittedly most boats dont go out but isnt that their perogative? if theyre fully paid up then theres no problem. the real problem is "overstayers" and license evaders

I'm not referring to online facilities/marina facilities. I have everything on my boat, that wjm seems to think is only available in a marina, except direct access to mains water (which many marinas lack) and a washing machine (which I could very easily install, if I wanted).

It doesn't matter where I moor, I take my "home comforts" with me.

Edited by carlt

why hooray? whats the problem with going slow? isnt that the idea of boating on the canals? if youre looking for fast speeds try going to sea. maybe this because you cant get a linear mooring so no one else should have one

admittedly most boats dont go out but isnt that their perogative? if theyre fully paid up then theres no problem. the real problem is "overstayers" and license evaders

I don't want to speed along the cut but I want to feel as though I am getting somewhere. There are stretches of canal which have online mooring boats for literally miles. I don't see how this is different to the "estates" created by marinas. These are the equvalent of streets.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both online and marina mooring from the moorer's point of view but online mooring does inconvenience those who want to travel the system.