ANOTHER new marina

dor

Featured Posts

No you can't. However, the original topic of this was boats on online moorings which you can plan for. If you don't plan for online moorings and the possibility of having to go slower than the guide says, you planned poorly. Which brings us full circle to the comment that started this erm... interesting discussion.

Getting caught by an act of nature has nothing to do with on-line boats and herding them all into marinas will do nothing to change that fact.

Doing the speed limit passed moored boats is a problem that is also a fact!

If I get caught in a traffic stop and do 90mph as soon as a clear it even though the speed limit is 45 is it okay because I'm in a hurry? Life happens.

Please note I never suggested going over the speed limit just doing the speed limit!

Somewhat off topic but did you pay for a mooring up there?

Yes. For a visitor mooring Monday till Friday.

Please note I never suggested going over the speed limit just doing the speed limit!

The speed limit is a maximum, though, not a fixed, obligatory speed.

If you estimate your journey, allowing for the fact that the average speed is slower than the maximum allowed, you will have a cushion to allow for any temporary hold ups.

No amount of sticking to the speed limit, regardless of online moorers, will get you past a more permanent stoppage.

Edited by carlt

The speed limit is a maximum, though, not a fixed, obligatory speed.

Agreed but if the road became clear so you could do the speed limit (as in the previous posters reply) but you were told you could not because the wind was affecting those motorists that had decided to park they would be presenting you with a dilemma.

If you estimate your journey, allowing for the fact that the average speed is slower than the maximum allowed, you will have a cushion to allow for any temporary hold ups.

Agreed but that depends on the definition of temporary.

No amount of sticking to the speed limit, regardless of online moorers, will get you past a more permanent stoppage.

Agreed but if you have to change course and thereby you become tight on time but can still make your destination I think there will be a number of boaters that would probably whilst not exceeding the speed limit go to fast past moored boats. In order to make there destination. I cant see them saying oh well lets moor here overnight, leave the boat here for a week, face a penalty charge from the hire company because we will be going to fast past moor boaters even though 30 mins to 1 hour will complete the journey. This problem would not be a problem to boaters in Marina's therefore the debate on online mooring will continue! And Another New Marina.

Going back to the original post - I cannot see that reduction in on line moorings can be used as part justification of a new marina on the Llangollen as unless things have changed dramatically since last time I was there ,then there are not that many on line moorings on the canal anyway . Its always worth seeing the mass exodus of winter moorers from the canal at the start of the holiday season as they dont want to be around when the visitors trying to get to Llangollen and back in under a week go speeding past.

Younger generation?????

Well excuse me but at the tender age of 53 I am still a member of the younger generation!

And I am totally unbothered whether I have a marina berth or a on-line mooring as on a reasonably equipped narrowboat I will have all the facilities I need whichever I choose.

And I am totally unbothered whether I have a marina berth or a on-line mooring as on a reasonably equipped narrowboat I will have all the facilities I need whichever I choose.

I just couldn't cope with looking out of my window and seeing someone, on the other side of the pontoon, looking back.

I just couldn't cope with looking out of my window and seeing someone, on the other side of the pontoon, looking back.

When I bought my previous boat, I had to stop in a marina for a few weeks whilst waiting for my mooring. I was amazed by how many people would come down to their boats at weekends and not go anywhere. Why have a boat? You might just as well have a caravan - it would be a lot cheaper. But perhaps a caravan doesn't quite have have same kudos as being able to say "we went to our boat at the weekend".

And on the low cost housing argument, if people really are buying boats to live on as cheap accommodation without having any interest in the canals, boats or boating, why don't they choose the even lower cost option of a caravan?

And on the low cost housing argument, if people really are buying boats to live on as cheap accommodation without having any interest in the canals, boats or boating, why don't they choose the even lower cost option of a caravan?

Have you seen the state of some of the "shed city" residential parks?

Even I'd rather be in a marina.

On the subject of new marinas just a quick look at the winter stoppage I found 8 stoppages caused by work being done on new marinas that I guess will be opening within the next couple of years.

Many of the stoppages for marina connections have been cancelled.

And your point?

...............is probably that plans for some new marinas have been put on the back burner. For several reasons I imagine. One, there is already mooring availability in many existing ones, as I pointed out in an earlier post in this topic, two, the lack of money available to borrow and fund their construction since the banking crisis took hold, and three, the sharp decline in real estate values - which I am sure will have affected marina freehold values substantially.

...............is probably that plans for some new marinas have been put on the back burner. For several reasons I imagine. One, there is already mooring availability in many existing ones, as I pointed out in an earlier post in this topic, two, the lack of money available to borrow and fund their construction since the banking crisis took hold, and three, the sharp decline in real estate values - which I am sure will have affected marina freehold values substantially.

Could you just tell which ones where closures are or were planned have been put on the back burner?

register for bw stoppage updates and you will be told as each one is cancelled.

Sorry maybe I did not post very well. I was just trying to establish out of the closures that had been cancelled was due to the new marina plans being put on the back burner or simply because they were no longer necesary or the build was behind schedule.

I am registered for BW stoppage updates for the areas that concern me, but have yet to see one that stoppage cancelled due to Marina being put on back burner. By the time a new Marina is at the stage that it requires a stoppage most of the work on the Marina has been done and monies invested so unlikely not to open. I know of Marinas that are well behind schedule due to the fact that the weather last summer means they are behind schedule.

Could you just tell which ones where closures are or were planned have been put on the back burner?

I should have added that I suspect this may be the case rather than know for certain. For example in this area a stoppage to create a marina entrance at Yelvertoft (on the Leicester Line), which gained planning consent from Daventry District Council earlier this year, has been cancelled. I don't know why for certain, but in an area where existing marinas are not full, if I were the potential investor, I would be pretty nervous about such a project at this point in time.

I happened to drive past the entrance to the proposed Hungerford Marina earlier this week - does anyone know what stage that has got to? I know they are looking to sell two development plots on the site - a proposed pub/restaurant and a hotel.

A marina for over 200 boats is being planned for Wrenbury Heath. This is just up the Llangollen from the new marina at Swanley which holds over 300 boats.

This is already a busy canal, with a number of locks in this part. Also there is the lift bridge in Wrenbury itself which can cause a lot of chaos to both boaters and road traffic.

There are the usual claims for boosting employment and tourism but I really wonder how many more marina can be supported in a relatively small area. As well as the one mentioned at Swanley, nearby there is one soon to open at Church Minshull for about 200 boats and another one at Tattenhall for 350 boats.

Anyone planning a trip up the Llangollen next year would be advised to stay away between June & September!

Just to go back to the original post I am in Wrenbury at present and talking to the locals in the pub last night I am told that the preposed new Marina is purely for ABC Liesure Group the marina is for 100 boats so that they can put the hire fleets of Viking Afloat (Whitchurch) and Alvechurch (Wrenbury) in one Marina. Makes sense to me.

Just to go back to the original post I am in Wrenbury at present and talking to the locals in the pub last night I am told that the preposed new Marina is purely for ABC Liesure Group the marina is for 100 boats so that they can put the hire fleets of Viking Afloat (Whitchurch) and Alvechurch (Wrenbury) in one Marina. Makes sense to me.

At certain times Grindley Brook would be a virtual no go area if they did that. :lol:

If I had a few million to spare I don't think I would invest in a marina,unless it was outside BW's (or indeed any Gov dept's) juristiction. The BW spin machine will no doubt still be seeking new investors by quoting overly optimistic growth figures, the reality is that most prudent investors will see beyond this.

Boating is being milked for all its worth and is rapidly getting much too expensive for its traditional customer base. A walk down any towpath and a chat with most boaters will confirm this. I reckon if it wasn't for the fact that owners are lumbered with a lot of money tied up in a boat they can't sell, many would give this hobby a miss.

Liveaboards,usually without proper planning permission, are probably keeping most marina's going, but that could easily change if councils starting flexing their muscles a bit more. Given that most local councils are also in the mire and facing cut backs there's a good chance they may do this too.

Will they be filling in the marinas that will have 100 empty berths, then?

I am told that the preposed new Marina is purely for ABC Liesure Group the marina is for 100 boats s

So why is the planning application for 300-odd boats and 100 car-parking spaces? Perhaps ABC are supporting it to put their hire base in, but presumably there will still be a number of moorings for private boats as well, as happens in many other marinas where hire fleets are based.

Will they be filling in the marinas that will have 100 empty berths, then?

Both viking afloat at Whitchurch and the Wrenbury operation moor their boats on-line (Wrenbury has room for a few, but most are moored on the towpath). Along with the other hire base at Bunbury, this storing of boats two or three deep renders the canal; almost impassable at times.

So why is the planning application for 300-odd boats and 100 car-parking spaces? Perhaps ABC are supporting it to put their hire base in, but presumably there will still be a number of moorings for private boats as well, as happens in many other marinas where hire fleets are based.

Dor I have not seen the planning aplication and as I said in my post was only reporting what I was told in the pub. As I am planning on staying here for a couple of weeks will try and find out what is happening.

Jeeez there's another one......

Another marina proposed, this one just south of Nantwich.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news...96135-22231851/

Considering the existing local marinas have spare capacity, where is this going to end, and how?

Not sure which marina has the spare capacity have just spent 13 days in Nantwich the only space at Nantwich Canal Centre is for a 45ft boat (was told this at there office) and NCC has no spare capacity and I am told Swanley has some space for 70ft boats. (told this by boater who has his boat moored at Swanley)

hi John - I'll certainly be interested in info about the Wrenbury marina. Pub chat is a notoriously unreliable source of factual information though!

I believe several boats at Swanley intend moving to Church Minshull as it is supposed to be cheaper, and to Tattenhall to be nearer Chester.