Baking Potatoes

Amwris

Featured Posts

One thing I have missed since living aboard has been a simple baked potato. The gas useage for just a baked spud is horrific and I dont have (or like) a microwave and wrapping a potato in tin foil and putting in the multifuel stove isnt an option as I dont fancy the taste of taybrite with my dinner.

But today (how sad am I?) I twigged a way of getting a perfect baked spud.

I took my spud pricked it all over, rubbed it with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt put it on top of a little oven proof ramekin on top of the multifuel stove and covered with an upside down pan creating an oven on top of my stove - perfection!

Well I was chuffed anyway - How sad - I'll get my coat.

Phil

One thing I have missed since living aboard has been a simple baked potato. The gas useage for just a baked spud is horrific and I dont have (or like) a microwave and wrapping a potato in tin foil and putting in the multifuel stove isnt an option as I dont fancy the taste of taybrite with my dinner.

But today (how sad am I?) I twigged a way of getting a perfect baked spud.

I took my spud pricked it all over, rubbed it with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt put it on top of a little oven proof ramekin on top of the multifuel stove and covered with an upside down pan creating an oven on top of my stove - perfection!

Well I was chuffed anyway - How sad - I'll get my coat.

Phil

Leave the coat. Not sad at all.

Double wrap your spuds in strong foil - we do and our spuds don't taste of Taybrite. I also bake bananas in the stove. Cut slots into them and post squares of chocolate into the slots. Double wrap in foil and bung in stove for a few mins. Lush!

How long do you leave them in for? When I tried spuds that way all I ended up with was spud charcoal!

How long do you leave them in for? When I tried spuds that way all I ended up with was spud charcoal!

Dont put them on the coals, kind of build your fire in one corner and put the spuds in the other corner. Turn them over during cooking. Can't remember how long they took - same as in an oven?

Double wrap your spuds in strong foil - we do and our spuds don't taste of Taybrite. I also bake bananas in the stove. Cut slots into them and post squares of chocolate into the slots. Double wrap in foil and bung in stove for a few mins. Lush!

wow! those banana things sound well worth a bash for the sweet toothed monsters amongst us.

The challenge of living aboard eh?

Phil

Just come back from a week on elan Valley, which has a boatmans stove. Decided to use the oven as much as possible, so a jacket potatoe took about 3 hrs, cornish pasty reheat about 1 hr.

great little stove. Only problem is that all our clothes now stink of coal dust, since the stove was adjacent to the wardrobe!!

blog of holiday to follow.

I do mine in the ash pan as well, i cook quite a lot on the top of the stove anything that needs long slow simmering.

Definitely. I cooked a beef casserole yesterday on the stovetop, a 5 hour simmer and well worth waiting for.

I've live aboard for 4 months now and am loving it more every day. The dog would agree but he's asleep in front of the stove

Dont put them on the coals, kind of build your fire in one corner and put the spuds in the other corner. Turn them over during cooking. Can't remember how long they took - same as in an oven?

It'll give that a try - if nowt else it's probably cheaper burning spuds than it is Taybright! :lol:

Now we've figured how to keep the stove in o/night :lol: we wake up to porridge that has been simmering in a double pan/porringer (see blog for pic) o/night, delicious.

I shall give the spuds a try, anything to save gas!

• 1 month later...

Would atop the stove still work with a back boiler I wonder? We struggle to boil a kettle these days, it takes about three hours from cold.

I think I'll go with Carl's idea (hungry now)

Anyhoo, :lol: pheasant stew for tea tonight, yum! The unstewed pheasants were pretty nice yesterday as well, made all the better for the Fearnley Whittingstallesque moment of preparing them.

Anyhoo, :lol: pheasant stew for tea tonight, yum! The unstewed pheasants were pretty nice yesterday as well, made all the better for the Fearnley Whittingstallesque moment of preparing them.

Pheasant stew worked well, I'm generally veggie as I refuse to buy factory farmed meat so it was a pleasant change to eat something wild.

I'll post a recipe if anyone is interested.

Edited by Bagpuss

I've a squirrel stove and I have 3 bricks inside to make the fire smaller. I have a piece of grill (from an old barbie) that sits on the bricks.

Wrap your veg in foil and place around the edges over the bricks and away you go.

Some of my favorites

spuds - of course

sweet potatoes

Carrot, swede, parsnip, spuds, onion - all cut to about the same size, drizzel with oil, but of salt, pepper and a few herbs and wrap in foil

Make sure that the fire is lowish or you may end up eating rather tasty charcoal!

• 1 month later...

I don't think I'd fit a jacket spud in the ash pan on our Boatman stove. I've tried spuds wrapped in foil and lobbed in the fire, and although they were perfect inside I could have drawn a still life picture with the skin.

I've used a deep baking tray covered in foil on top of the stove for baking chicken wings before and that worked well, but it did take a few hours to cook them through properly. We do like baking camembert on the stove top, by putting it in a shallow dish, covering with foil and sitting it on top of the stove for 45 minutes. Quarter of an hour before it's done, we wrap either a garlic flatbread or a ciabatta loaf in foil and pop that on top too. The bread will be warm and delicious just when the cheese is hot through and melted, then we just tear off bits of the bread and dunk in the cheese. Gorgeous!

I'd like to be able to use our stove more, especially as an oven.