Baking Potatoes

Amwris

Featured Posts

I've used a deep baking tray covered in foil on top of the stove for baking chicken wings before and that worked well, but it did take a few hours to cook them through properly. We do like baking camembert on the stove top, by putting it in a shallow dish, covering with foil and sitting it on top of the stove for 45 minutes. Quarter of an hour before it's done, we wrap either a garlic flatbread or a ciabatta loaf in foil and pop that on top too. The bread will be warm and delicious just when the cheese is hot through and melted, then we just tear off bits of the bread and dunk in the cheese. Gorgeous!

Wow. I've just had lunch, but you've made me hungry again :lol:

I think I know what I'll cook on payday....

I don't think I'd fit a jacket spud in the ash pan on our Boatman stove. I've tried spuds wrapped in foil and lobbed in the fire, and although they were perfect inside I could have drawn a still life picture with the skin.

I'd like to be able to use our stove more, especially as an oven.

Wrap spud in double foil, rake coals/wood to one side of stove leaving a clear spud sized space on the grate - sit spud on grate for an hour to an hour & a half - job done. :lol:

• 1 month later...
One thing I have missed since living aboard has been a simple baked potato. The gas useage for just a baked spud is horrific and I dont have (or like) a microwave and wrapping a potato in tin foil and putting in the multifuel stove isnt an option as I dont fancy the taste of taybrite with my dinner.

But today (how sad am I?) I twigged a way of getting a perfect baked spud.

I took my spud pricked it all over, rubbed it with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt put it on top of a little oven proof ramekin on top of the multifuel stove and covered with an upside down pan creating an oven on top of my stove - perfection!

Well I was chuffed anyway - How sad - I'll get my coat.

Phil

What a brilliant way, just got a boat, and love jackets, so will be trying this aswell

I don't think a Dutch oven has been mentioned, you can bake in them so clearly you can bake potatoes in them, and they work from a gas ring as well as coal fires camp fires. Good idea for boats without ovens and just a hob. There isn't much you can't cook in them. Ideal for stews / casseroles slow cooked on top of a stove.

Various different sizes as well to as small as a single potato.

Interesting site here.

http://www.troop68bsa.org/dutchoven.htm

I don't think a Dutch oven has been mentioned, you can bake in them so clearly you can bake potatoes in them, and they work from a gas ring as well as coal fires camp fires.

I thought a Dutch oven involved pulling the duvet over your other half's head and trapping her, after a particularly impressive fart.

Edited to say: Which really should be in the "Baking Brownies" thread.

Edited by carlt

I use my stove all the time for cooking, anything from baked spuds to lasagne and even frying chips in a proper chip pan! Its a really good way to save on gas. I burn only wood and never have a prob with my spuds tasting other than fab, if you have got a spare small steel saucepan, you can wrap your spuds in foil, put them in the pan then put the whole thing in your stove ontop of your nest of coal or wood, this keeps the spuds off the direct nest so they don't burn so quickly. After about an hour, spuds are ready to be drizzled in butter and gorged on! I also buy a lot of cheaper cut meats such as lamb shanks and brisket and cook those on the top in a cast iron casserole dish as well as doing the usual stews. After being on for most of the day the meat just falls off the bone - yum yum yum :lol:

Has any one mastered a way of baking bread or cakes on top of their stove?

One thing I have missed since living aboard has been a simple baked potato. The gas useage for just a baked spud is horrific and I dont have (or like) a microwave and wrapping a potato in tin foil and putting in the multifuel stove isnt an option as I dont fancy the taste of taybrite with my dinner.

But today (how sad am I?) I twigged a way of getting a perfect baked spud.

I took my spud pricked it all over, rubbed it with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt put it on top of a little oven proof ramekin on top of the multifuel stove and covered with an upside down pan creating an oven on top of my stove - perfection!

Well I was chuffed anyway - How sad - I'll get my coat.

Phil

Before this thread goes any further lets get one thing straight right now, baked jacket potatoes should NOT be done in foil, they should be crispy when eaten (with Lurpak butter and salt) thats all I have to say

Before this thread goes any further lets get one thing straight right now, baked jacket potatoes should NOT be done in foil, they should be crispy when eaten (with Lurpak butter and salt) thats all I have to say

Ours always come out crispy when wrapped in foil and done in the side the stove. Must agree though lots and lots of butter is the best, although beans and salami together make an excellent filling!

Well, I thought I'd try putting the potatoes into the ash pan as we came back up the Marsworth flight today. I knew that the 7 locks would take at least an hour, so I was hoping that they would be ready when we reached the summit. The first problem was that although the potatoes were not very large, it was very hard to cram the foil wrapped potatoes in, under the fire. Then, although almost all the locks were against us, so that we took well over an hour to come up the flight, all I had at the top was some completely uncooked, but hot, potatoes. They went into the fire on top of the glowing coals, and were turned regularly. As we got back to the marina, an hour later, the potatoes were ready.

In fact, they were delicious, and they were crispy on the outside. So, the ash pan potatoes do not work with our fire.

I've been looking at Julynian's idea of a dutch oven - I quite like the idea of things slowly cooking, and have done stews and soups on the stove in the past. I notice that there is a supplier of dutch ovens in our home town, so I may well wander over sometime and have a look.

cheers

Cath

I've been looking at Julynian's idea of a dutch oven - I quite like the idea of things slowly cooking, and have done stews and soups on the stove in the past.

Since spotting these we're going for one too, they seem ideal and on the boat in winter could save a lot of gas, and we love stews and casseroles :lol:

This site gives all the info and tips on what to look out for when buying. They're not cheap, but would last a lifetime, and probalbly your grand kids life time also LOL

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/beattie47.html

I reckon baked potatos would cook in one but possibly not from the heat of a stove, might need finishing off on a gas ring to get them crispy.

We successfully roasted a joint of sirloin beef and new potatoes with garlic and herbs in our Boatman stove t'other week. Have done it twice now and it worked a treat. (Used to using the top of the stove to cook but new to roasting inside the stove)

Just took the ashpan out and put the foil wrapped goodies under the grate instead. The second time we did it the joint was more challenging to get back out and much of the foil got torn off leaving a puddle of beef juice in the bottom of the stove which made the fire smell delicious for two days :lol: . But all in all very successful and of course we saved on gas. And in an hour and a half both were cooked to perfection. Definitely gonna experiment more with that next winter.

We successfully roasted a joint of sirloin beef and new potatoes with garlic and herbs in our Boatman stove t'other week. Have done it twice now and it worked a treat. (Used to using the top of the stove to cook but new to roasting inside the stove)

Just took the ashpan out and put the foil wrapped goodies under the grate instead. The second time we did it the joint was more challenging to get back out and much of the foil got torn off leaving a puddle of beef juice in the bottom of the stove which made the fire smell delicious for two days :lol: . But all in all very successful and of course we saved on gas. And in an hour and a half both were cooked to perfection. Definitely gonna experiment more with that next winter.

Sounds good, do you burn wood or coal? I'm a bit sceptical about taking the ash pan out, we burn only wood so get quite a bit of ash. Do you find loads of ash on top of your goodies when they are done? Obviously it makes sense to riddle the stove before you start to eliminate as much ash as possible. Think I may give this a go!

Sounds good, do you burn wood or coal? I'm a bit sceptical about taking the ash pan out, we burn only wood so get quite a bit of ash. Do you find loads of ash on top of your goodies when they are done? Obviously it makes sense to riddle the stove before you start to eliminate as much ash as possible. Think I may give this a go!

Hi Canalbabe,

I'd cleared the ash out before starting so there was only a tiny bit of ash on top of the foil. We burn wood to get the stove going then smokeless fuel.

Hi Canalbabe,

I'd cleared the ash out before starting so there was only a tiny bit of ash on top of the foil. We burn wood to get the stove going then smokeless fuel.

Thanks for that. My main prob is that our stove is an Arrows Beckton Bunny and the ash pan hole is quite small so not sure what I can squeeze in there! Noticed on Squirrels that the ash hole is bigger...........prehaps i need to change my stove.................... :lol:

Will have a go at doing some chops and see how we get on.

I have heard of "Trout au Manifold" cooked on a car exhaust manifold

Take one trout, lightly rub with butter, wrap well in foil, lie along exhaust manifold, drive 25 miles, stop, remove and eat, seasoning as preferred..

:lol:

Nick