Josher Bows

Featured Posts

This is a Mike Christian shell isnt it floating at Lymm?

So why would this cost 6k more than than this http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_mJxWaNVdT...uD9vjdSbcWUdg==

because it has been assumed that there might be someone who will pay the extra £6k and if there is someone willing to pay there will generally be someone willing to take their money.

Its interesting as when I spoke to the guy selling the Mike Christian there was liverpool semi trad and I asked ''so why is the Mike more?

He said its built on a jig for starters and things like the cabin walls on the semi trad back are double skin which are two reasons why its worth more.

Out of interest do Liverpool still make boats for jo public to buy?

Yes Carl you are perfectly right.

IM sure anyone who owns a boat knows its a hard thing to decide especially when you have enough money but no quiet enough money.

Would I be better of buying a nice looking second hand boat that may need some work than buying a cheap new sailaway?

Hi again

It's all aquestion of aesthetics to me. A basic shell will get you from one end of a canal to the other and you'll doubtless enjoy the trip, but the thrill of handling a boat that swims well and looks good (and sounds good if fitted with a vintage engine) is worth extra money every time. I still get a kick out of simply looking at my boat (I know, sad old git) from the towpath and she's by no means new.

Similarly, I was walking the Staffs and Worcs yesterday, between jobs. A restored working boat, unconverted, was tied close to a gaggle of modern mid budget boats. The lines balance and grace of the old boat set it in a different class from modern counterparts...to me, it looked absolutely right. There are few builders working who achieve similar pleasing lines and, sadly, few punters who appreciate them.

Cheers

Dave

IM sure anyone who owns a boat knows its a hard thing to decide especially when you have enough money but no quiet enough money.

Would I be better of buying a nice looking second hand boat that may need some work than buying a cheap new sailaway?

If looks are important to you, I'd say yes...and if you don't take to boating, it should be easier to sell a handsome boat on. Again, the shell is pararmount.

Dave

Ive actually seen a Hancock & Lane thats 13k and looks better than the new sailaway.

It was built in the seventies and will I assume need some plating below the waterline.

Would this be a better direction to consider perhaps?

Where can I look other than apollo duck and boats and outboards?

Hi

The waterway magazines, Canalboat (November issue just out) and Waterways World (due next week for November issue).

Both available at W H Smiths and other outlets.

They have many advert's for brokers.

try google for "narrowboat brokers" and "narrowboat brokerage" include quotes.

The other thing is, if you're looking to getting a new one built, a really nice one will take extra time as well as money which is another factor you might want to consider. There's over a thousand narrowboats on the second hand market at any one time - one of them might be perfect for you.

Hi

I'm on a learning curve on narrowboats I'm quite an expert on vintage motorcycles and feel happy to answer questions on that subject, however my learning curve coupled with my age gives me a suspicious mind, Dave Moore has just said something brilliant about the curve and look of older boats, they are like the curves of a woman.

These cheap sailaways are really crap !! The thing is I want to purchase my 1st boat within the year or restore/build one, I have visited quite a number of Companies selling sailaways (I live in Cheshire) and to be frank the ass holes are all selling the same shell (don't wish to say the name but I hate the football team and the river) then they all say that they build boats..Boll*cks they are all Tw*ts.

I suggest you carry on with your homework and look for the small boatbuilder who only do 5 a year plus repairs, I stumbled across one just off the A5 near Brownhills, Staffs, I don't have the name but the guy there was as honest as they come, and he had a semi built shell which was up for sale, I think he said a shell would cost £350 per foot so a 50 ft shell only would be £17,500.

It's a mine field and there seems to be plenty of your Arthur Dailey's so take care and use your noggin...good luck :lol:

These cheap sailaways are really crap !!

I'm not being funny, but really, what else do you expect? As the old saying goes, "You pays your money".

There are plenty of higher end shell/sail away builders out there. If you want a better shell then that obviously requires more money.

Hi

I'm on a learning curve on narrowboats I'm quite an expert on vintage motorcycles and feel happy to answer questions on that subject, however my learning curve coupled with my age gives me a suspicious mind, Dave Moore has just said something brilliant about the curve and look of older boats, they are like the curves of a woman.

These cheap sailaways are really crap !! The thing is I want to purchase my 1st boat within the year or restore/build one, I have visited quite a number of Companies selling sailaways (I live in Cheshire) and to be frank the ass holes are all selling the same shell (don't wish to say the name but I hate the football team and the river) then they all say that they build boats..Boll*cks they are all Tw*ts.

I suggest you carry on with your homework and look for the small boatbuilder who only do 5 a year plus repairs, I stumbled across one just off the A5 near Brownhills, Staffs, I don't have the name but the guy there was as honest as they come, and he had a semi built shell which was up for sale, I think he said a shell would cost £350 per foot so a 50 ft shell only would be £17,500.

It's a mine field and there seems to be plenty of your Arthur Dailey's so take care and use your noggin...good luck :lol:

Thanks mate I know exactly who you are talking about as ive been to see them myself.

I am going to look at the second hand market.

I also have a motorhome for sale part ex if anyone is tempted lol. :lol:

Our advice, for what its worth is "YES !"

But then, we would say that because we HATE seeing lots of boring, near identical boats....

(Seriously though, its like cars or anything else, it is riskier but - as long as you do your checks properly and don't mind a bit of work perhaps - you can get much more 'bang for the bucks' second hand and buy something that will give you a lot more enjoyment and satisfaction in the long run)

Hi

Hi Sideway

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you appreciate the finer things on water! Part of the problem is that the majority on modern boats are fabricator built, as opposed to boatbuilder. The former are highly skilled in the business of pulling steel and welding, whereas a boatbuilder has a feel for attractive lines and pleasing proportions..and has a fabricator's skills. I work in the boating business as a signwriter and boat decorator, I've seen a lot of yards and their output; few pass the "hard on" test, as another long time boating friend described it.

The yard at Brownhills you called at was CTS ,run by Matt Cooper. His father Denis started the business in 64 and they are indeed highly respected builders who produce fine work, one of the few who know and care.

Dave

I have seen a few and as said by someone else the shell is the one thing that cant be replaced.

I would like a Josher bow but the extra money would go a long way on a standard shell so to say.

When I walk up to my boat I want to feel excited and say ''just look at that'' and feel really happy about how it looks.

I dont want to be like oh I got what my money could get me as opposed to what I really wanted.

Am I being daft?

Definately go and put some life back into a second/umpteenth hand boat, theres some real beauties to be had. Just cos you got the cash, don't get carried away; haggle hard and save plenty of dosh for all the hidden nightmares experiences and improvements, as decent labour for restoration is hard to find let allone afford!

Where would I get this experience from Carl?

I have one suggestion to help you gain an eye for a good replica josher bow. If you take photo's of an original josher bow or alternatively of a replica built by a boatbuilder of proven ability then use these to compare with any boats you contemplate buying you will see more easily any shortcomings. To start you off I have included a picture of the bow of "Grace" which was built by Roger Fuller. Roger is widely accepted as amongst the best of the replica builders.

IMG_0299.jpg

I must say Rob I like the portholes as well as the bow very nice looking boat.

For me this is a major point I like boats Im not trying to save money or looking for a so called cheap lifestyle that dont really exist.

Internally for me portholes dont work but thats just me.

I dont think i can afford a josher frankly lol.

Although I have found some rather nice looking boats that are second hand and one that really makes me say ''Thats a nice boat''

Where as someone else may think shock horror but thats life some of us like fords some like vw.

I must say Rob I like the portholes as well as the bow very nice looking boat.

For me this is a major point I like boats Im not trying to save money or looking for a so called cheap lifestyle that dont really exist.

Internally for me portholes dont work but thats just me.

I dont think i can afford a josher frankly lol.

Although I have found some rather nice looking boats that are second hand and one that really makes me say ''Thats a nice boat''

Where as someone else may think shock horror but thats life some of us like fords some like vw.

Portholes don't need to mean dark inside, Iris has quite small ports (6") and only one small skylight. Depends how much you like varnished plywood walls..... :lol: