Three Mobile Broadband

Biggles

Featured Posts

What can I say about Three mobile Broadband.

Wholly dissatisfied.

I was told on a call to David Dass in your sales team that i would be able to roll over my £10 if i didn't use it within a month, when I get the device you small print says not.

He also said that the area i wanted to use it in has excellent coverage for March in Cambridgshire and in particular the postcode PE15 0AU. That also is false as I was only at best able to get on 1 occasion a 2 bar 3g signal which was so slow it took 6 minutes to get 1 email and reply to it. That was my only successful connection, the rest of the time is was a low 2g and then it wouldn't stay connected long enough to do any trials with.

The Dongle:- What on earth is the point of sending out a device that can't display the text messages it receives. This is a know problem with that model I was eventually told, so how the hell can one get a password to set up the web portal?

The call centre:- On-line chat support. After 20-30 minutes of explaining the problem and eventually being told the device has a know problem with displaying texts I was told >>>> now wait for this>>>>>>> to "access my password from my laptop and paste it into the web site and create my account to further try to solve the problem". The screen only showed a series of small squares instead of text.

Returns:- They have now issued a returns package to be sent out to me.

Phone customer services:- After spending another 20 minute £2.00 i was told on 15/9/08 that I should leave my number and a supervisor will call me back within the hour. Well guess what>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Nadda.

Credit refund policy:- In order to try my device it was necessary to get past the 3 portal to have credit on my device and I was told to also receive the password text I would need to have credit. Initially I was told the device had encoded the message until there was credit available. I purchased £10.00 credit and converted it to the necessary package for data. With that £10 credit I received 1 email which I replied to. I am now being told I can't have the £10 credit back or what is left of it. That I am afraid is simply not good enough. I have no objection to paying for what I am getting but I'm not giving you £10 for nothing. So I want that back as well as the estimated £3 i have spent on the phone to you. As I said I don't mind paying for what I am getting, but I got nothing but false information and the run around from customer services for my money.

What next:- Well hopefully I will get a call or an email to tell ask me where the refund should be sent. I did eventually get the refund for the dongle, but nothing for the wasted credit, not even a letter.

So its reasonable for you to assume I am not even remotely impressed.

Biggles

After nearly 2 months of dealing with the technical call centre in India due to speeds so slow that the service was unusable and also being cut off every two minutes, I finally lost patience, cancelled the direct debit and sent the dongle back to them. Complete waste of time!

My bank told me that because I authorised the direct debit arrangement over a one year period, that 3 can actually reinstate the arrangement and continue to debit my account. I didn't realise that.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

No experience of the broadband but.......

I will not even begine to bore people with the total nightmare I had with 3 phone service.

The contact centre is a nightmare to get through to/find someone who speaks English well enough to hold a conversation with. When you do finally get to speak to someone they tell you they need to transfer you to another department and dump you back in a queue for another 15-20 minutes.

They say they will ring you back and don't then send you a text about your problem to the phone that is broken which was why you were ringing in the first place. Then wonder why you have not responded to the text!

I will never, ever as long as I live use 3 again and would never recommend them to anyone.

I have since switched to Orange and I am thrilled witth the service and thrilled with the customer service as well (even if occasionally I do find my call answered by someone who is quite plainly in a county where it is cheaper to employ staff........ they have a good command of the language and actually want to be helpful)

I have since switched to Orange and I am thrilled witth the service and thrilled with the customer service as well (even if occasionally I do find my call answered by someone who is quite plainly in a county where it is cheaper to employ staff........ they have a good command of the language and actually want to be helpful)

I suggest you don't try calling them on a Fridaaay night then....and don't get me started about Virgin!!!

I have Orange moble, and Virgin broadband....they're virgin on the bloody ridiclulous....!

Janet

I've been getting a phone call every day, from 3, since june, about my unpaid bill, despite my bill being paid, immediately, by direct debit. I tell them it's paid and they "apologise for the inconvenience" and promise it will never happen again....until tomorrow, of course.

They've disconnected my service 7 times now, due to my "outstanding" bill and have reconnected me saying that they "apologise for the inconvenience".

I went into the 3 shop to have a rant and they assured me that the customer seervices is returning to the UK, after xmas.

The problem is I have an unbeatable package, guaranteed for life. There isn't a phone/broadband package available that comes close and coverage has improved immensely, lately. I think I'll put up with the calls until January and then dump them, if the English complaints dept can't sort it out, then I'll dump them.

I have a 3 dongle, have done since around May of this year but I only use it during weekends on the boat, and maybe the odd time when I am out and about generally.

I've used it in quite a flew places... round the Four Counties, on my moorings and along the Bridgewater and also at home and in the car and I have only had 2 problems with it. Once I could not get a signal at all from it inside the boat when I was moored up at Dutton. It's in a hole and the weather was awful so that can't be helped. I did try sitting out and it did work, sort of, but then rained so I had to abandon that! Last weekend I was moored up at Dunham and had to point the dongle a certain way but not a problem, as it still connected at the usual speed.

I suggest you don't try calling them on a Fridaaay night then....and don't get me started about Virgin!!!

I have Orange moble, and Virgin broadband....they're virgin on the bloody ridiclulous....!

Janet

Dear Janet....... when one works in a contact centre full time when am I supposed to call them?

I have Orange now and they are great but as for Virgin broadband......... don't start me on that rant!

I recently got a call from Orange offering me completely free broadband! Has anyone any experience of Orange Broadband (via the phone lines) I might go for it yet but it is such a pain to have to change email addresses.

I might go for it yet but it is such a pain to have to change email addresses.

Buy yourself a domain. Even if you dont actualy use it for a web site you can then have your own email address that you can access via any ISP. I think .co.uk domains are running at about 99p for the first year & £2.99 / year after.

Justme

Had Orange mobile phone for about 19 years and free broadband for nearly as long.

When needed to contact them, always answered by someone in this country with a Yorkshire accent (I think, not good on accents).

Contacted by them about two months ago, contract coming to an end, got new phone, reduction in monthly cost (£10 less) and more minutes as well.

Buy yourself a domain. Even if you dont actualy use it for a web site you can then have your own email address that you can access via any ISP. I think .co.uk domains are running at about 99p for the first year & £2.99 / year after.

Justme

or a FREE gmail address

Had Orange mobile phone for about 19 years and free broadband for nearly as long.

When needed to contact them, always answered by someone in this country with a Yorkshire accent (I think, not good on accents).

Contacted by them about two months ago, contract coming to an end, got new phone, reduction in monthly cost (£10 less) and more minutes as well.

I love Orange. I have tried others unfortunatly.

Sue

Someone suggested 3 to me as a 'really good' provider with no problems at all. I've not yet tested the USB broadband dongle but I'm worried now that I've wasted £50 on it!

I wish I'd gone with Orange now and I've not even tested it yet - how confident do I sound about it working huh? Zip! At least its PAYG and I've not got a contract or anything...

Kay

x

Someone suggested 3 to me as a 'really good' provider with no problems at all. I've not yet tested the USB broadband dongle but I'm worried now that I've wasted £50 on it!

I wish I'd gone with Orange now and I've not even tested it yet - how confident do I sound about it working huh? Zip! At least its PAYG and I've not got a contract or anything...

Kay

x

Dont worry too much kay my 3M Dongle works fine on our boat although I have bought an extention lead from Maplins for when the signal is a bit weak. However Biggles is right I enquired whether I could use their Broadband in Jersey (you cant !!)and the reply came from a person obviously foreign who was almost impossible to understand.you need to telephone them if you have a query as you will only get an automated reply from the internet site which is also impossible to understand.

Dont worry too much kay my 3M Dongle works fine on our boat although I have bought an extention lead from Maplins for when the signal is a bit weak. However Biggles is right I enquired whether I could use their Broadband in Jersey (you cant !!)and the reply came from a person obviously foreign who was almost impossible to understand.you need to telephone them if you have a query as you will only get an automated reply from the internet site which is also impossible to understand.

Thanks Billy

I have no intentions on speaking to any offshore helpdesks EVER again! They just read from crib sheets and basically try to pick out certain words you're saying and compare them to a predefined list of answers for those particular words they hear you say - they have no idea about the services - they simply read what they're told to say in response to certain words they hear you say... its terrible... its not their fault, its the cheap ass companies! I hate them for introducing offshore help! I will give it a try and possibly get a long USB cable if the signal is yuck - which I'm guessing WILL BE! ;-)

Kay

x

I have no intentions on speaking to any offshore helpdesks EVER again!

When my phone died 3 (who I had a contract with) offered to send me a new phone if I signed up for a further contract period with them. I wanted to check the phone they were offering me and went into a shop to look at phones the next day and realised the phone they were suggesting was no use to me at all.

I rung them back to ask if I could get a different model on the same or similar offer they had made and was told that I had another 16 months to run on my contract before I could upgrade again! It turns out that the conversation the previous evening where I had been offered a phone was taken as an agreement and the phone had been sent, I would get it by courier the next day. I was told that the phone would arrive "asap" that is she said to me "aysap" as in a word not A.S.A.P. I queried what she was saying and she obviously had no idea what it meant other than quick!

I told them I did not want the phone and I was not going to be at home to take delivery so they would need to recall it. They said they could not do that, I would need to take delivery of the phone and then return it to them. It was impossible as there would be no one at home to take delivery. I could not get them to upgrade to the phone I really wanted because they were saying I had already upgraded.

2 days later no phone had arrived and I called again to be told I had taken delivery of the phone and they had my signature for it! Eventually after hours and hours on the phone, being passed from pillar to post and being cut off after an hour and a half on the phone I gave up!

I went to Carphone Warehouse and got a good deal!

When my phone died 3 (who I had a contract with) offered to send me a new phone if I signed up for a further contract period with them. I wanted to check the phone they were offering me and went into a shop to look at phones the next day and realised the phone they were suggesting was no use to me at all.

I rung them back to ask if I could get a different model on the same or similar offer they had made and was told that I had another 16 months to run on my contract before I could upgrade again! It turns out that the conversation the previous evening where I had been offered a phone was taken as an agreement and the phone had been sent, I would get it by courier the next day. I was told that the phone would arrive "asap" that is she said to me "aysap" as in a word not A.S.A.P. I queried what she was saying and she obviously had no idea what it meant other than quick!

I told them I did not want the phone and I was not going to be at home to take delivery so they would need to recall it. They said they could not do that, I would need to take delivery of the phone and then return it to them. It was impossible as there would be no one at home to take delivery. I could not get them to upgrade to the phone I really wanted because they were saying I had already upgraded.

2 days later no phone had arrived and I called again to be told I had taken delivery of the phone and they had my signature for it! Eventually after hours and hours on the phone, being passed from pillar to post and being cut off after an hour and a half on the phone I gave up!

I went to Carphone Warehouse and got a good deal!

Can't blame you for that, that's just terrible service with a capital T! As soon as they've got your money, that's it these days with most places. I notice it with how fast it takes them to answer the 'sales' lines compared to how fast they answer the 'help' lines - its a joke, it really is, and don't get me started with 0845 numbers and queuing systems. I'm sure you automatically go into a queuing system even if lines are available so they can get at least a few minutes out of you before they answer - I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Glad you got a good deal in the end and stuff them all !!!

Kay

x

I BOUGHT the 3 dongle so I could use pre-pay (there is no way a utility company gets t direct debit me until they are subject effective policing) in July. I then made up a bent coat hanger holder to hold it against the inside of the window hopper. I have used it on and off all summer South Oxford, Thames, Wey & GU. I doubt I was unable to receive a signal and do my work on more than 5 nights out of about 50 nights. I expected problems in Braunston, but did not expect it at Shiplake. The other times could usually be explained by the topography.

Basically I am happy enough with the cost of £10 per month and reception.

I am far from satisfied with the info from their shops. I was told if 3g was unavailable they switched to the Orange network for ordinary reception. When I had 5 bars on my Orange phone and no 3 reception I challenged the shop manager and was told I had misunderstood. I had not because I made the sales bod repeat the Orange bit.

It is a swine to set up the ability to pay by credit/debit card but I eventually managed it. This may be related to my wanting to use my laptop & their service when travelling and BT when at home.

Their payment system using a card is very odd - they know from my phone number its a so called "broadband" modem yet they insist on a two stage process which I found very confusing and seems to me to be a way of extracting expensive "off plan" payments from customers. You first of all pay them and they then hold the payment in some kind of account. If you do not then go to another screen and use your payment to "buy" a unit of airtime.

Having been done for nearly £4 of charges for a few emails on ONE evening I contacted customer services by phone. The chap had good English and tried to help in as far as he could. He refused to escalate my call and refused to admit that they need to look at the design of their payment system pages and booklets.

At least their system seems to work and I found the helpdesk far easier to understand and apparently over a proper telephone line than BTs appalling efforts.

This message was posted using a laptop with Vista which has been slated by some as being slow and not as good as XP.

My 3 mobile broadband is currently showing 5 on the signal strength bar using an extention aerial rather than a long USB lead as it can be left out in the rain.

My 3 contract only costs £7.50 per month and has been no problem and never got near 5Gb download allowance.

I use Google as homepage and googlemail. (Also still have an active Virgin web mail account though I canceled my landline broadband, so not sure if it will keep going indefinitely).

So perhaps its just luck of the draw.

I BOUGHT the 3 dongle so I could use pre-pay (there is no way a utility company gets t direct debit me until they are subject effective policing) in July. I then made up a bent coat hanger holder to hold it against the inside of the window hopper. I have used it on and off all summer South Oxford, Thames, Wey & GU. I doubt I was unable to receive a signal and do my work on more than 5 nights out of about 50 nights. I expected problems in Braunston, but did not expect it at Shiplake. The other times could usually be explained by the topography.

Basically I am happy enough with the cost of £10 per month and reception.

I am far from satisfied with the info from their shops. I was told if 3g was unavailable they switched to the Orange network for ordinary reception. When I had 5 bars on my Orange phone and no 3 reception I challenged the shop manager and was told I had misunderstood. I had not because I made the sales bod repeat the Orange bit.

It is a swine to set up the ability to pay by credit/debit card but I eventually managed it. This may be related to my wanting to use my laptop & their service when travelling and BT when at home.

Their payment system using a card is very odd - they know from my phone number its a so called "broadband" modem yet they insist on a two stage process which I found very confusing and seems to me to be a way of extracting expensive "off plan" payments from customers. You first of all pay them and they then hold the payment in some kind of account. If you do not then go to another screen and use your payment to "buy" a unit of airtime.

Having been done for nearly £4 of charges for a few emails on ONE evening I contacted customer services by phone. The chap had good English and tried to help in as far as he could. He refused to escalate my call and refused to admit that they need to look at the design of their payment system pages and booklets.

At least their system seems to work and I found the helpdesk far easier to understand and apparently over a proper telephone line than BTs appalling efforts.

I agree with all you say Tony. Their payment system is just too complicated. I too was told to use Orange in France but could not get any connection. I have given up on their helpline as I cannot understand them. One last complaint is that if you "buy in" too much Broadband useage this expires in 28 days and you lose what's left. In the boat it all seems to work fine nearly all the time but I have to say this company seems very difficult to deal with.

Hmmm....

I've just been severely messed around by Orange. I had a Livebox contract when I lived in a flat, but then my flatmate moved out and I couldn't afford to stay there on my own. I'd wanted a narrowboat for ages, so I thought "now or never" and went for it. But this meant I needed to terminate the Orange contract early. First shock: no middle ground on the settlement. If you have a 2 year contract, the settlement figure is exactly what you'd have paid them over the full 2 years, minus your payments to date. The settlement figure should have been £180.

So then I thought, well, if I've got to pay for it anyway, maybe a friend or someone in my family might like a Livebox for a year? But sadly no-one needed one.

So then I phoned them back and asked if we could strike a deal, because I was skint from moving home. Or if not, could they supply me with a waterproof 40 mile telephone cable? Or even, possibly, a USB dongle? The call was "escalated" a couple of times, to someone who could actually make decisions, and they eventually said I could settle for £140. Which was still a lot of money, but I was fed up with it by then, so I said ok.

This was early June. In mid-August I started getting threatening letters from them, forwarded on from my old address, saying my account had been suspended due to non-payment. Which was odd, because I thought I'd cancelled it. So I spent 45 mins on the phone only to discover that they had no record of my previous call and hadn't taken the £140. Furthermore, because they had no record of the call, and it was company policy never to give discounts, I still owed them £180. They said they'd remove the non-payment fee... which was nice.

After 45 minutes (of my company's time) we weren't getting anywhere, so I asked them to reconsider and phone me back. Oh no, they said, we're Orange Customer Services: we can't make external calls. Genius. You obviously don't want the money that much, then, I said, and hung up.

Eventually I felt guilty so I posted them a cheque for £100. Which was £140 minus £40 for messing me about. I put my phone number on the letter, too, just in case they fancied ringing it.

The nice lady phoned me up yesterday, to say I still owed them £80. I said, well, we agreed £140 and you didn't take it, and now I've paid you £100. It's not my fault you can't keep your records up to date. Honour your promises. Plus, I live on a boat, so I could have cleared off into the sunset and not bothered ringing you at all, but I thought I'd be honest.

And she said yes, that's all very well, but it's £80.

Alright then, I'll give you the remaining £40.

No, my manager says that would leave £40 outstanding on the account, and he's not prepared to remove it.

Ok, I won't bother paying you anything, then - what's the point? Tell him he's just lost £40. And note on my file that I offered to pay £40 as final settlement and this was refused. Oh, and by the way - I'm on a boat - come and find me.

Tw@ts.

The moral of this story is.......................................read the contract.

Except, when they are not providing the service they are contracted to but they still want £400 to terminate it early.

There is nothing in the call centre script that acknowledges they have breached the contract therefore the customer is within their rights to terminate, without penalty.

Sorry Carl

You lost me there.

The contract was for two years, the small print would have said that if you terminate early you still have to pay, (or words to that effect).

The length of time for the contract to run would cost £180.

Where this started to go wrong is that the first phone call agreeing to £140 was not actioned (? Orange mistake)

Sorry Carl

You lost me there.

The contract was for two years, the small print would have said that if you terminate early you still have to pay, (or words to that effect).

The length of time for the contract to run would cost £180.

Where this started to go wrong is that the first phone call agreeing to £140 was not actioned (? Orange mistake)

Sorry, I was referring to my situation with 3. Even if you are not being provided with the service they agreed to, in the contract, they still will not allow you to terminate early, without a penalty which, in my case, actually exceeds the sum I'll pay them, if I let my contract run to the end.

They did generously offer me £5 compensation, for my inconvenience.