Cray Fish - Grand Union Canal at Greenford

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm not yet a boat owner but have used boats and fished many venues.

I am about to apply to the Environmental Department for a FR2 licence giving me legal permission to fish for and take away Signal Cray Fish for my own consumption.

My home is close to the Grand Union Canal at Greenford and I would be obliged if any of you good 'boaters' can confirm whether or not this part of the canal, or close by, contains loads of cray fish.

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

Hi all,

I am about to apply to the Environmental Department for a FR2 licence giving me legal permission to fish for and take away Signal Cray Fish for my own consumption.

My home is close to the Grand Union Canal at Greenford and I would be obliged if any of you good 'boaters' can confirm whether or not this part of the canal, or close by, contains loads of cray fish.

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

There are certainly plenty of crayfish a bit further up the GU between Batchworth and Watford. I was moored at Hunton Bridge a few years ago and two chaps caught several buckets full in less tha an hour. I rather doubt that they had a licence to do it though.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

Last time I saw a cray fish from a canal was about 20 years ago at leats That was on the Oxford canal near Banbury Gave me a bit of a shock pulling that oout on the end on my line

just caught a bit on the news tonight apparently the crayfish now have an enemy Chinese crabs coming up the rivers to do battle with the crayfish :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7575744.stm

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/...nese.4526759.jp

Edited by denboy

just caught a bit on the news tonight apparently the crayfish now have an enemy Chinese crabs coming up the rivers to do battle with the crayfish :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7575744.stm

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/...nese.4526759.jp

Cray fish and crabs battleing in ou canal..... can sse that BW will price them out of the water like ther rest of us lol

• 3 months later...

Crayfish swarming in Hampstead Road Lock (also known as Camden Lock) in London,busy market with lots of edible litter/rubbish. Good luck to you if you eat them to us they are creepy-crawley verrmin,big up the Chinky food chain,how long til Sweet and Sour Mitten Crab,if they are an alien invader you will be doing your bit for native species of water cockroaches,try them and let us know regards Jerry.

• 4 weeks later...
Last time I saw a cray fish from a canal was about 20 years ago at leats That was on the Oxford canal near Banbury Gave me a bit of a shock pulling that oout on the end on my line

:lol: There are loads on the Oxford and they r yummy

hi guys right as a keen fisherman on the canals .there is loads at kings lanley my two year old nearly jumped off of the boat when he hooked one on his poundland pole.quite big as well ,croxley river has loads and croxley canal ,but make sure you have a licence as bwb always up and down .watford down too near ricky .never caught any at slough arm or uxbridge though .were we first caught them years ago was stanmore ponds untold there .the only thing is im a bit doubtfull of any one taking anything from our rivers and canals .dont mind as long as people can tell alien invaders from english .but what gets really on my goat is foreigners coming over and netting whole areas of canals and rivers of all fish and eating them. and using rods and catching pike too eat them ,need more bayliffs on boats going along the waterways and i might add the odd imigration officer

hi guys right as a keen fisherman on the canals .there is loads at kings lanley my two year old nearly jumped off of the boat when he hooked one on his poundland pole.quite big as well ,croxley river has loads and croxley canal ,but make sure you have a licence as bwb always up and down .watford down too near ricky .never caught any at slough arm or uxbridge though .were we first caught them years ago was stanmore ponds untold there .the only thing is im a bit doubtfull of any one taking anything from our rivers and canals .dont mind as long as people can tell alien invaders from english .but what gets really on my goat is foreigners coming over and netting whole areas of canals and rivers of all fish and eating them. and using rods and catching pike too eat them ,need more bayliffs on boats going along the waterways and i might add the odd imigration officer

Up on the Lee, there are millions, up around Stanstead Abbots and Roydon on the Stort. I know someone who went up there and caught 48!

I'm with you on the fish thieving, though, we used to have several enormous carp and pike in this pound. The last one was taken last summer, so sad.

Edited by Lady Muck

Up on the Lee, there are millions, up around Stanstead Abbots and Roydon on the Stort. I know someone who went up there and caught 48!

I'm with you on the fish thieving, though, we used to have several enormous carp and pike in this pound. The last one was taken last summer, so sad.

[/quote

does make you mad when i go fishing and have caught carp at the same spots for years .and then you get a load of europeans just thinking they can knock anything on the head and half the time dont even have a rod license ,have you ever noticed how they say cant speak english when you ask too see their rod license but if you shout out hey who has lost a tenner they shout out me mate .

We know most of the genuine fishermen round here, they tell me they've been offered money by these guys to catch carp for them. It might calm down a bit now as many are going home because all the work has dried up. We've had quite a few rough sleepers round here, there's no work then they run out of money and can't afford a flight home or to pay the rent. We've had 40 unemployed immigrant men living under a railway arch with no sanitation, getting into fights and causing untold mess and rat infestations, then men living in a disused pub, murdering each other and then causing fires. Then this It's no picnic! the fish are only the tip of the iceberg!

well if it was me i would phone up the immigration and get them to go down there or complain too local councill mp .made me laugh though with the strikes english people for english jobs ,what a bloomer for gordon brown .but this is the way it is now .i remember when i had my own shop council would send traffic wardens everyday and nick everyone parking, then we had gypsys move into carpark .the traffic wardens only gave me a ticket ,phoned council too complain they said it was too dangerous for the wardens too issue tickets too gypsies.but as they knew my address i would get ticket i think it was at this point i said that if all the shop keepers got rounders bats and chased the warden up the road would it also be too dangerous too issue tickets .lets just say after that my ticket was dropped and free parking till gypsies moved on .

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

I sent away for the application for a licence to take cray fish. It was more hassle than it was worth. You had to give loads of info where exactly you were going to fish, land/water owner etc. I just wanted to catch a few for tea as I made my way round the system which to My eyes the licence wouldn't allow, if it was just like a rod licence it would be fine.

no its not that they want too protect the american crayfish its that a lot of people tend too forget we have an english crayfish and this is whats protected .and if crayfish trapping was allowed by everyone the british type would be wiped out .hence why they have too apply for a license too trap.also with the traps eels would get caught .and its bad enough now with are fish getting eaten everywere you could always use a rod too catch crayfish .

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

I have a licence to set traps on the K&A canal & a day of setting 10 traps nets me about 2 dozen mini lobsters!

some tips!

1. use traps that have a 60mm hole so you don't pull traps with dead Otters, Mink, Rats etc inside.

2. Pilchards are cheap oily & they love em, or you can use Lidl dog food as it's cheap.

3. Let your catch sit for a day or 2 in fresh water (in a bucket with the tap running) & they will poo out lots of rubbish.

4. Boil a pan with water & drop in 1/2 a dozen at a time, you only need to cook for 4 minutes.

5. Melt some butter & Garlic & a dash of Tabasco.

6. Claw meat is worth the effort use a small sharp knife to split them.

7. Traps can be had from e-bay I use the wire mesh ones as they sink well & stay put.

8. use some bambo canes & tie the line to the bottem so no one can see them or you will loose pots & tags.

9. use a boat hook to snag the line & or push the line into the mud so it is under the water.

10. watch for lines in places boats moor or you may end up trying to remove a squished pot that's been round some ones prop from you a**

11. Stuff em down with some dry white wine...... YUM

they look like this:

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/nig...nt=DSC00017.jpg

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/nig...nt=DSC00016.jpg

I even have one at home in my fish tank that I have been feeding on stuff to see what he likes & they do make cool pets!

as soon as ANY meat, cheese in fact any food hits the water he's out of his hole under a rock & grabs it.....

as soon as he is big enough I'll eat him :lol:(

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance,

geoff

Don't know about crayfish but have seen Terrapins in the canal st Greenford!

Tim - who has caught Crayfish on the Walsall Canal with a grappling hook - if they can live there they can live anywhere.

Are there cray fish in the trent and mersey ? got a pot to put out and put kippers in it for some reason but never caught any!

Use a net with Bacon, or meat bones in the evening, you will find cray fish all over the river and canal systems.

• 2 weeks later...

group of kids caught 8 large crayfish outside our marina on monday night -

they rejected my kind offer to look after them,,,, citing a preferenc eto eat them...

was impressed to to see them go netting and get these result... all were under 10yrs...

which make me think that if they can get 8 in an hour or so in a 50 metre stretch then there will be many more !!

where the white wine, parsley garlic an d butter......