Port hole covers/ curtains??

Tribalmaya

Featured Posts

not sure about metal ring clippy ones, but most upholsterers will make up "bungs" for ports, ie spongey fabric covered cushion type covers that slot into them.......covered in something suitable, also make good seat pads for lockers during the day! Several advertise in the boat mags.

(Off topic) Were you moored at Marsworth at the weekend? Saw a boat with that unusual name moored right on the junction for a couple of days.

Have you thought of a pad of foam covered in material?

Cut a disc of foam the same size as the porthole liner and cut two pieces of material to a slightly larger diameter. Sew the two pieces of material together inside out, at a diameter that is the same as the porthole liner plus about half the thickness of the foam. Don't sew all the way round, leave yourself about 25% of the circumference unstitched. Turn the material out so that the stiching is on the inside and push the foam into the enclosure. Complete by tacking the open section by hand so that the stitches can be removed if ever you want to wash the cover. These will be held in position by friction and can be pulled out (by simply pinching the material) and laid on the bed, or wherever, when you want to let the light in.

They're not hard to make - I'm no machinist and I made ours, although I left SWMBO to do the hand stitching.

(Off topic) Were you moored at Marsworth at the weekend? Saw a boat with that unusual name moored right on the junction for a couple of days.

Have you thought of a pad of foam covered in material?

Cut a disc of foam the same size as the porthole liner and cut two pieces of material to a slightly larger diameter. Sew the two pieces of material together inside out, at a diameter that is the same as the porthole liner plus about half the thickness of the foam. Don't sew all the way round, leave yourself about 25% of the circumference unstitched. Turn the material out so that the stiching is on the inside and push the foam into the enclosure. Complete by tacking the open section by hand so that the stitches can be removed if ever you want to wash the cover. These will be held in position by friction and can be pulled out (by simply pinching the material) and laid on the bed, or wherever, when you want to let the light in.

They're not hard to make - I'm no machinist and I made ours, although I left SWMBO to do the hand stitching.

Hi, thanks for that i think i may give it a go myself now then! I used to be good a sewing when i was a kid..... No i wasnt at marsworth, i went to Thrupp ( oxford ) on the weekend tho... for a moment there i thought you may of seen me fall in... :lol:

Ive just bought her last week... its so gorgeous... im the happiest ive ever been!

It was named after the last owners dog pedigree name.

Here are a few pictures of mine. I made 14 of these from medium density polyethylene foam stuck to ply. I had to use a special glue from 3M as the PE has a 'slippery' surface and ordinary contact adhesive didn't work for very long.

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

This is where they live when not in use.

DSC00542.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Hi, ive just moved onto my new narrowboat and i am finding it hard to track down some port hole covers. Anyone know of anybody who makes them or and good web sites? Im looking for the type that clip inside on a metal ring.

Many thanks! :lol:

Do you want total black out or lace type

Do you want total black out or lace type

Black out would be good. but not vital. i have metal shutters for replacing when going away for any lengthy period of time, plus the added security. but i dont want to use these for daily use as im more likely to end up breaking the glass when storing.

When we got Gamebird some 10 years ago, Iain made port hole covers from ply with a hole in the middle. When we had gamebird repainted in 2004 and the lettering etc done in vinyl (no boat painters up here) we got permission from Grouse (as in Grouse Whisky) to use the grouse on the label for the sides. We also had a vynil "picture" done for the port hole. Here it is hammock It always raises a smile when we put it in the port hole at night.

Haggis

Hi

I think your best bet is first do the charity shops for doilies The lace kind) then find some wire that is just bendy enough to make a ring one and a quarter times the dia. of your porthole. Feed the wire through the lace holes around the edge (I promise it gets easier as you go) and bingo your done. If you can't find any doilies ring the chandlery at Kings Lock Middlewich

not sure about metal ring clippy ones, but most upholsterers will make up "bungs" for ports, ie spongey fabric covered cushion type covers that slot into them.......covered in something suitable, also make good seat pads for lockers during the day! Several advertise in the boat mags.

We have the fabric covered sponge type. They stay in OK without any stiffening and have no handles or pulls so they store flat.

The sponge can be bought from Dunelm Mill Shops.

(fortunately the Derby branch is next to Screwfix so I can go there while Madame looks at all the boring stuff in Dunelm)

For lace and doylies to put in portholes:

These are available in a range of diameters from Rowells, 22 High Street, Long Eaton. 01159 732724

I think ours were about 50p each.

Probably less than a charity shop would charge........

Rowells is worth a visit anyway as it's like going back in a timewarp to an old haberdasher's shop.

They have old hardwood counters, piles of all sorts and wrap your stuff up with brown paper and string.

Hello we have the most wonderful wooden shutters on our lovely Amber boat which actually won best boat builder ( the Lionel Munk Prize) for best boatbuilder award at the IWA

on bank holiday monday ,I would put up a picture but none of the miserable gits on this site would tell me how to do it, and I have asked loads of times, I find it all a

bit cliquey actually, so unless I get some decent replies I,m not coming on here anymore, anyone got any tips for more friendly sites ?

I would put up a picture but none of the miserable gits on this site would tell me how to do it,...........

Charming!

...................and I have asked loads of times, I find it all a bit cliquey actually, so unless I get some decent replies I,m not coming on here anymore, anyone got any tips for more friendly sites ?

Sorry you think that.

Lots of people will try and help if they can, but a lot of people have been boating, or away generally.

This is the usual starting point for picture posting, I believe.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3201

My preferred place to actually host the pictures is Photobucket, (which has got better over time), but there are plenty of others.

Regards,

Grumpy git.

Charming!

Sorry you think that.

Lots of people will try and help if they can, but a lot of people have been boating, or away generally.

This is the usual starting point for picture posting, I believe.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3201

My preferred place to actually host the pictures is Photobucket, (which has got better over time), but there are plenty of others.

Regards,

Grumpy git.

:lol::lol: Yeah but no but your o.k Alan I've always said that, but them others right, they wouldn't help me with that what to do on a rainy day game they were playing with out me (sniff ), I had a picture for number 15 ;);) sniff

and not no one told me how to put it on, anyway me and Richie found a much better game to play :lol::lol:

so I will stay with this sight cos I might have to ask a favour of someone next week, so apologies to all the miserable gits, we had much more fun anyway !!

Just because they're portholes doesn't mean you can't have curtains. That'd be the way I'd go (and have gone on Warrior). A single curtain for each porthole, and extend the rail a little way to the side so that the curtain can be pulled completely clear of the porthole when open. I know it's purely subjective but I think those 'bungs' are an abomination aesthetically - and severely impractical as well, as you have to store them when not in use (and they're not small or foldable).

Just because they're portholes doesn't mean you can't have curtains. That'd be the way I'd go (and have gone on Warrior). A single curtain for each porthole, and extend the rail a little way to the side so that the curtain can be pulled completely clear of the porthole when open. I know it's purely subjective but I think those 'bungs' are an abomination aesthetically - and severely impractical as well, as you have to store them when not in use (and they're not small or foldable).

Yeah our right there... they would be a pain to store. Ive been thinking it over and i think ill try a padded one first and see how it goes or maybe over the winter ill take up wire crocheting as im not keen on lacey ones, Ive tried knitting yogurt but i didnt like the flavour!! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Hi, ive just moved onto my new narrowboat and i am finding it hard to track down some port hole covers. Anyone know of anybody who makes them or and good web sites? Im looking for the type that clip inside on a metal ring.

I design cross-stitch charts which can then be fixed into frames and placed in port-holes......my website isnt done yet but send me an e-mail as I do commissions too......

Storage isn't always a problem. we have some bungs for our portholes (material covered foam) and they have a loop on them and they can be hung on a hook by the window when not used so don't get in the way or take up cupboard space.

On the whole though I would agree that curtains or even blinds are more useful especially if the porthole opens for ventilation as ours do. With a bung if it is in the window then you can't open it or at least to do so would have no effect as the bung negates the open window where a curtain does not. At some point we may change to curtains.

I've got some circles of foam that match the diameter of exposed glass in the porthole, and I've just got a loop of gaffer tape which is replaced when it loses its stick!

The "Narrowboat Builder's Book" has some step-by-step guides to making far more aesthetically pleasing porthole stuffers, with details on how to do neat folds and everything.

I posted this several months ago, have to say that porthole bungs are the best idea IMO especially in the winter, we now have 1.5" thick foam covered in material. and they are great insulation in the winter, something worth thinking about as it's getting pretty chilly here LOL

For our portholes we came up with this idea.

Portholepadlongview.jpg

PortholepadinOakliner.jpg

It's a foam disc 1.5 inches thick upholstered in a fabric. They Black out the windows really well, good for keeping the light out early mornings and some good insulatory effect especially in the winter, but they keep your boat cooler if you leave them in where direct sunlight hits.

• 1 month later...

I am able to hand make those covers for you. If you would like them cushioned, covered in your own fabric or what, just let me know.

Thank you,

Pam

I posted this several months ago, have to say that porthole bungs are the best idea IMO especially in the winter, we now have 1.5" thick foam covered in material. and they are great insulation in the winter, something worth thinking about as it's getting pretty chilly here LOL

I am able to handmake these covers anyway you like.

Pam

Yeah our right there... they would be a pain to store. Ive been thinking it over and i think ill try a padded one first and see how it goes or maybe over the winter ill take up wire crocheting as im not keen on lacey ones, Ive tried knitting yogurt but i didnt like the flavour!! :lol:

I would be glad to hand make them for you. I can make the usual, cushioned and/or room darkening. Let me know what you like.

Pam

I am able to hand make any porthole covers that you like. Let me know what you need and I am sure that I can accommodate you.

Thanks,

Pam

I am able to hand make any porthole covers or bungs that you need, be they cushioned or darkening. Just let me know.

Thanks, Pam