Crossing the Pontsystllte

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

I once crossed it in very very strong winds - at the half way the boat was at a frightening angle leaning towards the drop. I was very close to stepping off onto the towpath. It was so frightening I expected to see a BW official screaming at me to get off!

Pontsystllte?

Seems to have some of the letters but not necessarily in the right order, Which part of Inglund are you form?

Take a set of scrabble tiles, remove all the vowels, throw them up in the air and a Welshman will still claim they have landed to read a sentence, in his native tongue.

Take a set of scrabble tiles, remove all the vowels, throw them up in the air and a Welshman will still claim they have landed to read a sentence, in his native tongue.

Providing of course that you first remove the K, Q, X, and Z, and then add the other letters ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh, th, in order to get the 29 letters that make up the Welsh alphabet. Which is unlikely really :lol:

Edited to add: Oops, forgot "V". So that's 37 points down the drain before you start playing.

Edited by Dominic M

Pontsystllte?

Seems to have some of the letters but not necessarily in the right order, Which part of Inglund are you form?

Ah yes, er, I can spell but I can't trype (and the forum won't let me edit it either)

I shall remember the first (and only time up to now) that I crossed the Ponty for a good few years yet...

I was out with another boating friend for a drive around the Llangollen area and stopped in at the wharf there just before time to grab a bite to eat. We had a wonder up and down the canal and, with it being a week day, the day hire boat was tied up. After a bit of haggling we managed to hire the boat, for half a day and half of the usual price.

We set off towards Hurleston and eventually came to the aqueduct. We moored up just before it to have a walk up and a look around. Me, being scared of moving up more than the first few rungs of a ladder was a bit put out about it all, as you can imagine! My mate was trying to get me to walk across first and after my first few steps realised the bank dropped away quite quickly. I couldn't walk backwards or turn around for a few minutes but eventually found the courage from somewhere and backed off.

We then went to get the boat to go across... by this time I was sat in the cabin (on the floor actually) looking down with my arms folded. I didn't like it at all. We moored up on the other side and visited the pub (absolutely crap, beer was like old engine oil).

On the way back I had bucked up slightly and decided I would drive back over for the once in a life time oppurtinity. I also wanted to boast to my friends I'd done it!

I took the tiller and went straight across with no problems, I actually quite enjoyed myself, well, I was until my friend, who had a camera decided to take a picture of me on the tiller... he must have forgotten where he was as he walked down the gunnels, without holding on, whilst pointing the camera at me as he was leaning against the cabin side. The look on my face must of made him realise where he was. After going a nice shade of white, and then green he crawled back along the gunnels to the back deck and let out a big sigh.

Memories, eh? :lol:

I feel dizzy just looking at that picture. I'd love to go across, but it would have to be a total non windy day and me with the back cabing doors shut around just in case I fainted. I do not do heights!

After getting caught in bad weather going to the top of snowdon and having to hang on to the little monument there to stop from being blown off, I am not great with anything that hasn't got lots of fencing and things to hold onto!!

I do not do heights!

I don't do heights either - I'm not even that comfortable with standing om a fairly low step ladder.

But somehow the aqueduct just doesn't feel scary.

I have walked across it, and boated across it, and it doesn't trouble me at all.

I was tempted to cycle across it, but large numbers of people, and many no cycling signs persuaded me we had better push the bikes instead.

I recall we had to push the bikes back and forth across disinfected mats as we came on to the canal, as it was in the height of the foot and mouth incident.

If you have some particularly nervous passengers on the rear deck it's a good wheeze to stand on the roof and take some photo's of them, they always enjoy that.

Or even better is when they are sat in the front well deck get off the boat and walk alongside them saying things like" oh look at the drop " !!

I wouldn't/did I............. :lol:

Apparently not. Whilst abuse directed at certain minorities would not be tolerated on this forum, the Welsh and "Pikeys" are so far not afforded the same level of respect :lol:

That's definitely wrong....

I think "Pikeys" should be afforded the same level of respect :lol:

Boating over wasn't too much of an issue even though the first time I went over I came off the other side with such a death grip on the tiller that my knuckles were white! (Coming back over was a case of 'tiller strings' and trying to look cool ... I think I got away with it ... )

Walking, however, I just couldn't do! FIVE times I tried to walk across and failed after a few yards.

Going back over again this weekend with a passenger this time - so listen for the screams of terror on Saturday afternoon :lol:

Is this a racist remark I wonder?

( :lol: :lol: )

If a comment about the incomprehensible nature of a language spoken by a region of our nation (Wales is a principality, not a country) is racist then guilty as charged, your honour.

There was nothing derogatory, or insulting towards the Welsh, in my post (finding their language confusing is a comment on my language skills, not their language), so I think I got away with it.

SheepBoots.jpg

Edited by carlt

As for that Welsh sort and her proper/put on accent.........................

And best of all no Welsh tart...

If the IT is on the shore then this problem goes away (it is replaced with the problem of Pikeys stealing the IT)

Pikey bait, How can we wire it so Pikey gets an unpleasent shock?

I think comments like these speak for themselves.

If a comment about the incomprehensible nature of a language spoken by a region of our nation (Wales is a principality, not a country) is racist then guilty as charged, your honour.

There was nothing derogatory, or insulting towards the Welsh, in my post (finding their language confusing is a comment on my language skills, not their language), so I think I got away with it.

SheepBoots.jpg

I thought your Scrabble comment was funny actually.