LOCKING FILLER CAP

wotnot

Featured Posts

GREAT NEWS

Denham Yacht Station have just ordered me an ANTI SIPHONING DEVICE.....

Denham Yacht Station, Hundred Acres, Sanderson Road, Uxbridge

01895 239811

Tell em Paul from Tafelberg Sent you....

What happens take a mooring pin and lump hammer (As founded on any boat)?

Either bottom of ANTI SIPHONING DEVICE breaks off when hit. Or break off at the join

with tank, when the pin is used as a lever. Both methods have been used locally to break in to tanks

as well as punching a hole in the bottom of the tank

Firesprite

Either bottom of ANTI SIPHONING DEVICE breaks off when hit. Or break off at the join

with tank, when the pin is used as a lever. Both methods have been used locally to break in to tanks

Firesprite

Take the same implements and you can probably also break into 90% of boats and steal all the stuff onboard (if that's your thing).

Fitting good locks and other anti-theft devices does not necessarily make it impossible for a thief, but it may deter them if it seems like too much trouble, or that the risk of being caught is higher due to the time spent getting past the locks as well as the increased noise levels.

Nothing is going to be completely secure, anymore than your boat is secure. Like most anti-theft devices all you are doing is trying to create a deterrent; make it easier to rob your neighbour than you.

Of course this might change when everyone has some sort of locking device, then it will come down to how good your is.

Nothing is going to be completely secure, anymore than your boat is secure. Like most anti-theft devices all you are doing is trying to create a deterrent; make it easier to rob your neighbour than you.

Of course this might change when everyone has some sort of locking device, then it will come down to how good your is.

On a boat with a traditional engine room in may be a good idea to have a small intermediate tank with the in and out pipes offset so that all they can syphon away is a few litres . . .

On a boat with a traditional engine room in may be a good idea to have a small intermediate tank with the in and out pipes offset so that all they can syphon away is a few litres . . .

Why not just put a ball valve in the line inside the boat. Open valve for fll flow when refueling, close the rest of the time and you can't even pee into the tank.

Hi

Fitted this at a cost of nil for cover except my time and lock cost £40 odd, high security grade 9, but came free as a left over from some other job, not as pretty as some but 19mm s/steel bar welded to spill lip with 25mm s/steel hinge parts welded to 4mm thick cover plate will be pretty resistant to hacksaw and drilling and will hopefull make thieves move on to easier target.

david

one.jpg

I've just modified my filler cap (1 1/2 inch screw on type) for the cost of a 12mm SS shackle (£2.75 off EBay) and 10mm stainless steel bolt, nut and washer I already had. I have a couple of ideas of how to secure this, but I'll wait until I get to the boat at the weekend to experiment with the next step.

2738630908_c6bb9f578d_o.jpg

OK - so I need to paint it!! :lol:

For those that want to do the same you might want to note the following: I used a 12mm shackle with a 10mm bolt as the top of the bolt I had has a square section and this allows it to recess inside the shackle hole. I've cut off the threaded end of the shackle such that it is a flush fit up against one of the flats. Make sure you drill the 10mm hole through the top of the cap offset, otherwise it would be easy to force the shackle round with a mooring pin or similar. Also don't drill it too close to the edge of the cap as you want space to be able to put a nut spinner onto the nut to tighten it up. //Mike

Edited by MikeV

Hi

Fitted this at a cost of nil for cover except my time and lock cost £40 odd, high security grade 9, but came free as a left over from some other job, not as pretty as some but 19mm s/steel bar welded to spill lip with 25mm s/steel hinge parts welded to 4mm thick cover plate will be pretty resistant to hacksaw and drilling and will hopefull make thieves move on to easier target.

david

Does the lip, where it's been drilled to take the padlock, still meet the BSS requirement to keep diesel from spilling inwards?

Does the lip, where it's been drilled to take the padlock, still meet the BSS requirement to keep diesel from spilling inwards?

Hi

Yes, as there is still 20mm below the bottom edge of the hole which constitutes an upstand (I have seen shallower ones and even boats with none) as the BSS only asks for =

Fuel overflowing from filling points must be prevented from entering

any part of the interior of the vessel. Accordingly, fuel filling points

must be positioned so that…

* the camber or configuration of the deck; or,

* the boat’s coaming; or,

* a diverter arrangement;

…causes any overflow to discharge overboard.

therefore I still have a diverter, also any spilt fuel running onto the deck would in any case run off through the side drains before it came over the door jam which is 45mm high so covered under * item 1, so I really do not need a diverter anyway.

david

Sorry Gary...Midland Chandlers have a similar locking fitment already available but they have not had it labled "water" or "pump out" yet.

We have a screw on cast iron cap and I drilled a hole in the top and fixed a stainless eye bolt with an extra lock nut inside. I then used a strong cable type cycle lock to fix it to my seat pedestal leg. Of course this diy solution wont work unless you have something to loop the cable onto.

I did all this after loosing about £115 worth of diesel over winter on the Witchurch Arm (and that was at 42p a litre !....work that out Mr Pedantic)

In response to the locking filler cap problem I got my brother in law to stock them- then I can get mine at cost!!

http://www.mikesdiving.co.uk/

Hopefully it will save me worrying about having all my fuel nicked...and affordabel!

How do you find it amongst all the diving gear

I've got a lead on proper locking fuel fittings. Available in two types, and two sizes. Flush type - similar to standard deck fittings - in chromed Brass, or an even more secure version where the cap covers the fitting screws - slight 'mushroom' look - in polished stainless. At the moment it looks as though the first will be about £40 - £45, and the second £50 - £55. Both available with either 38 or 50mm pipe. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow .

I've got a lead on proper locking fuel fittings. Available in two types, and two sizes. Flush type - similar to standard deck fittings - in chromed Brass, or an even more secure version where the cap covers the fitting screws - slight 'mushroom' look - in polished stainless. At the moment it looks as though the first will be about £40 - £45, and the second £50 - £55. Both available with either 38 or 50mm pipe. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow .

I spoke to someone at Beeston Marina today, after looking up the entry from Gypsy Rover's blog (see posts 36 and 37 above). He said their early ones had been in chrome plate and had been about £40 but had all bar one been sold now. They will be getting some new ones in soon, in stainless steel, but they'll be about £50. The cap covers the screws when it's locked. I wonder if they're the same

He said the biggest problem is you have to make the hole in the tank bigger, so I got him to measure the one thay had there. He reckons it's 2" plus a small shoulder about 1/16" all round so you'd need to have a hole about 2 1/8 inches. I took my filler cap off today and guess what, it's 2" plus a small shoulder about 1/16" all round with the hole in the tank being just over 2 1/8 inches, so it would probably just fit straight in. The only difference is it's a 3 hole fitting and my present one is 4 holes - but that's not too big a problem.

It's under roof racks and boat bits, looks good, says it fits 1 1/2 bsp pipe.

You can buy direct from fuelock - http://www.fuelock.co.uk/

The product is nice, just what I thought was appropriate. Only thing is that my filler is 1.5" diameter across threads, 1.5" BSP is actually 1.88" so it did not fit *#*^#*!!! Next time I can get to a chandlery I want to measure up filler caps and see what is common. Is mine unusual or is this just a difference between the yachty market and the narrowboat market? Any one know?

The guy at fuelock is a boater albeit of the yachty kind, pleasant to deal with, has a no guibble refund policy. He has told me that he may make them in another size if there is demand but is having a few problems working out what the narrowboat market uses. I don't blame him, I am equally confused but then Croydon is a bit shy on chandleries ...

If the common size is 1.88" then I will look at changing my deck filler as I like the fuelock product. If not then Fuelock simply say send it back to them for a full refund

--

Richard

http://indigodream.wordpress.com/

Hi Richard.

I fitted mine yesterday and it was just the right size- my boat is new though and maybe a modern standard fitting? I certainly feel a lot happier leaving the boat for a few days now the fuel is more secure; all I have to do is get a dip stick so I know how much of the damn stuff I have :lol:

Sally

I wish some of these payment portals would make at least one reference to whether they are a secure method of payment. I've never used Google Checkout before, but I was always told that before entering your card details online you should look for a small gold padlock at the bottom of the window. I can't see that or any other reference to secure payment.

I see Midland Chandlers website now offers a choice of two locking caps, both in chrome: a 2" one marked "diesel" and a 1.5" one not marked, both at £35

I've emailed them to ask the exact hole size required, plus how many screw-holes it has and whether or not they are covered when it is locked.

I wish some of these payment portals would make at least one reference to whether they are a secure method of payment. I've never used Google Checkout before, but I was always told that before entering your card details online you should look for a small gold padlock at the bottom of the window. I can't see that or any other reference to secure payment.

Hi

I ordered one from Fuelock yesterday and I hadnt used Google checkout before either, but I did see the padlock and the site was also "https" (s=secure)

/Geoff

Any further news or pictures Dave?

I see Midland Chandlers website now offers a choice of two locking caps, both in chrome: a 2" one marked "diesel" and a 1.5" one not marked, both at £35

I've emailed them to ask the exact hole size required, plus how many screw-holes it has and whether or not they are covered when it is locked.

Midland Chandlers have confirmed that the 2" ones fit into the same size hole as the standard 2" fitting, but the 1.5" ones may need the hole to be enlarged. They are both flush fittings, so the screw holes (of which there are 3) are NOT covered by the cap; some sort of one-way security screw would have to be used.

Hi Richard.

I fitted mine yesterday and it was just the right size- my boat is new though and maybe a modern standard fitting? I certainly feel a lot happier leaving the boat for a few days now the fuel is more secure; all I have to do is get a dip stick so I know how much of the damn stuff I have :lol:

Sally

Interesting, thanks. Will have a look if I can change my filler then - if there is 1/3" clearance then it should be easy....

--

Richard

http://indigodream.wordpress.com

Your 1.5" is probably 1.25" BSP, daft innit?

I wish! I am sure I get 1.5" across the threads. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_228 1.25" would be 1.65" so I have got something perhaps like an M38 fitting?

--

Richard

http://indigodream.wordpress.com

Nantwich CC have developed a new lock which looks promising. It is built of stainless steel and is fitted in conjunction with the standard diesel type filler. Should be available in a couple of weeks and be about £35 - £40. I'll put up a pic when it's available and having seen the prototype I'm pretty certain I will be buying one.

Any further news or pictures Dave?

The stainless one is the one in the blog (from Beeston Marina). The flush ones (obviously) don't cover the screw heads but caphead bolts (or shear screws) would fix that. I'm trying to establish if I can get them in Brass - I'm told it MIGHT be a possibility, but a 120 day lead time might be likely - but unconfirmed as yet