River Thames

saltysplash

Featured Posts

looks quite exciting for boating, saw afew boats go though chertsey lock yesterday afternoon.

not a bad flow on, only plastic palaces though, no ditch crawlers :lol:

one nearly hit the bridge downstream, but just missed (disapointed the lockies as they had a moan at him for speeding)

Just to add to our problems Waterscape has just announced that the lower River Kennet is closed - Guess where we are moored!

Tim

We have decided not to risk it this weekend - lets hope its gets better for next weekend.

Tim

was my first thought when i went to check on my potatoes today to see them under six inches of water! :lol:

Winter's come early, then??

only slight problem is that the allotment might flood in winter. - ah well, it's only £22 a year.

Water was still pouring over the lock gates at County Lock at lunchtime today. The Thames at Pangbourne looked too fast to safely navigate last night.

I wouldn't move unless you have to for the next couple of days. Should be OK by the end of the weekend though, I'd have thought...

Winter's come early, then??

ah yes - well it would seem so!... But Generally the allotment might flood in the winter (due to excess rain). And it would see it also floods when there is close to a months worth of rain in a few days. ah well, it's cheap!

I have been out on the Thames every day this week - its not that bad. Went to the pub last night in a motor launch!

I have been 'in' the thames every day this week....

Apparently the river is just about holding its own, and we should be off red boards by monday.... Not sure whether that depends on the rain or not though...........

The Thames in Oxford and Abingdon is tanking along and on Red boards, lock keepers at Iffley and Osney locks are not letting boats through. From my local knowledge of the river in Oxford I am reckoning that it will definetley stay on Red until Monday at the earliest... possibly longer as I reckon they are going to keep the flow fast dropping all the levels in case of July flooding like last year!! Having worked on the river every day this week though it certainely makes for interesting times, with some big pulls from weirs being about!!

Had a drive down to Chertsey Lock this evening to see for myself. It is rather fast and the flow through the bridge was at a fair rate plus nasty looking eddies from the bridge piers so ive made the executive descision to turn right at Cowley peachey tomorrow and hold fast at Norwood Top Lock for the night, Then down to Brentford during Sunday and catch the evening tide to Teddington where hopefuly things will be starting to calm down...a bit. We only intend to go as far as Hampton Court for the Monday stop by which time according to the EA site things, (if the forecast remains the same) should be getting back to normal.

So its all fluid and if the weather changes for the worse we will turn at Brentford and head North

I'm intrigued about the Iffley and Osney lock keepers 'not letting boats through'. I thought there was a basic right of navigation. i guess maybe they are unwilling to work locks but couldn't stop you going through if you did it yourself. The river has dropped a few inches at Bourne End/Cookham overnight. Yesterday was a lovely day but the river was quiet, like a ghost town.

I'm intrigued about the Iffley and Osney lock keepers 'not letting boats through'. I thought there was a basic right of navigation. i guess maybe they are unwilling to work locks but couldn't stop you going through if you did it yourself. The river has dropped a few inches at Bourne End/Cookham overnight. Yesterday was a lovely day but the river was quiet, like a ghost town.

Apparently they really do give you grief! Quite right too - they aren't fun those locks....

Water has risen a bit here in Abingdon, we didn't get the rain we were expecting last night, and today is blazing sunshine....! Hurrah!

Arrived Teddington this evening. Red Boards still showing but according to the lockie they fully expect to be showing yellows by 10am tomorrow.

Are you planning a stop in Abingdon on the way past?!

Lockie speak with forked tongue, Stll on reds with the guestimate of yellow sometime this afternoon.

Not stopping at Abingdon would be rude

Quite right! I look forward to your impending arrival.... fancy a BBQ?

Ah....

Fresh! :lol:

mmmmmmm sounds smashing......we got movement here at Tedders, The Nb's that have been here for the past 5 days are all off en masse ------> Hampton

I can feel my own movement coming on.....mustve been the currey last night :lol:

Quite right! I look forward to your impending arrival.... fancy a BBQ?

Fulbourne should be passing Abingdon tomorrow on its delayed trip to Oxford/Banbury, will prob be in too much of a hurry to stop (Doing Reading - Oxford on a one day license!

Tim

Fulbourne should be passing Abingdon tomorrow on its delayed trip to Oxford/Banbury, will prob be in too much of a hurry to stop (Doing Reading - Oxford on a one day license!

Tim

One day licence? Good luck even though its the same price for a two day licence

One day licence? Good luck even though its the same price for a two day licence

There is no such thing as a two day license, you can buy a one day, a fifteen day and a thirty one day license only.

The day you buy the license is free so if you buy it first thing in the morning you get get an extra day out of it.

Edited to add: See page 6 at:

http://www.erniesplace.com/CanalWorld/Thames_2008.pdf

Edited by Ernie