Do other folk find the snobbery in canal boating exasperating??

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

Isn't it time we had a nose-in-the-air smiley for up-their-own-bottom pedants like me?

Our usual pedant is not up his own bottom and he is called Moley. His nose is rarely in the air unless he has surfaced to sniff the surroundings prior to returning into his cozy burrow and a pint. :)

Is it time we called errors of spilling and grammer molehills? :lol:

Very true,

What I posted was definitely done tongue in cheek - well aware that I could be stirring up a hornets nest, but to be 99% accurate, we have only found 1 couple on a very desirable NB, with BMC (Boat Mans Cabin) and a very nice Russell Newbury a gleaming in polished brass, green and red paint, was 11 months ago, when we were returning through Braunston Tunnel and through the locks, they were very, very freindly, gave us plenty of good tips and pearls of wisdom, we even shared lunch with them. But! all the other "Superior Trads, with BMC, have all been identical, would NEVER look at us, never acknowledged our presence, until we become pains in their faces, by smiling and hailing cheery hello's

Jon, I love it! Our man who does for us - Chivers, always pushes common oikes and bounders away from our NB, by means of the barge Pole, and a super sharpened boat hook. When he is off duty, he is to be found in the butlers cellar ensuring that the bubbly is stored at the correct temperature!

Still chuckling!

Rob

I love the way you managed to cram in your boat, classic car and land rover into two paragraphs :)

psssst.........

Heather....... A series 1 Landrover IS a classic car!

in fact unlike the stereotype of classic car owners (E-Type Jaguars, Rolls Royce etc) very many people own "affordable classics" as an inexpensive means of motoring (especially if they are happy to tinker with them themselves)

I would suggest the ONLY reason a series 1 landy owner would wave would be to wipe the condensation from the screen as Carl suggests!

psssst.........

in fact unlike the stereotype of classic car owners (E-Type Jaguars, Rolls Royce etc) very many people own "affordable classics" as an inexpensive means of motoring (especially if they are happy to tinker with them themselves)

I would suggest the ONLY reason a series 1 landy owner would wave would be to wipe the condensation from the screen as Carl suggests!

Unless, of course, it is the toxic fumes being emitted from the drives woodbines, which, invariably fogs up the windscreen?

Is this a co-incidence, for today is the 60th birthday of the launch of the original LandRover

If it wasn't for snobbery, "in the old days it was much better" "bloody club committee" You'll never guess what so and so has done", "You don't want to do it like that" What else would I have to gossip about with the grumpy old men whilst at my mooring. Where else can you be referred to as you young un's when you are 46. I love only having to play at boating and do I care if someone does not smile and wave at me no matter what the size of their engine not a bit . No matter how smart your boat we all still have to empty our own toilet.

So lets make this weekend a "smile a canal world forum bank holiday smile" and really piss the miserable gets off. :):lol::wub:

long shaft

cabin shaft

Isn't it time we had a nose-in-the-air smiley for up-their-own-bottom pedants like me?

(and now I will no doubt be swiftly corrected in my nomenclature by carl et al)

Has someone have a "Shaft" fixation?

If it wasn't for snobbery, "in the old days it was much better" "bloody club committee" You'll never guess what so and so has done", "You don't want to do it like that" What else would I have to gossip about with the grumpy old men whilst at my mooring. Where else can you be referred to as you young un's when you are 46. I love only having to play at boating and do I care if someone does not smile and wave at me no matter what the size of their engine not a bit . No matter how smart your boat we all still have to empty our own toilet.

So lets make this weekend a "smile a canal world forum bank holiday smile" and really piss the miserable gets off. :lol::wub:^_^

Hear, Hear! I'll drink to that! :)

Edited by Byeckerslike

So lets make this weekend a "smile a canal world forum bank holiday smile" and really piss the miserable gets off. :lol::wub:^_^

It is guaranteed to be all smiles for my boating on Monday so please note all grumpy old bearded stereotyped men in the region.........

like it or lump it!

:)

:) I thought that the inland waterways of Great Britain to be peaceful backwaters, how wrong I can be, for I have discovered that the waterways are in-fact a hotbed of snobbery and envy!

At the top of the snob tree are the narrow-boaters, who have a boatman’s cabin, within which is installed an traditional, yet exotic and very expensive engine, such as a Russell Newbury, Bolinder (Bollinger?), National, Perkins, Lister-Petter (but not Alpha Series!!), Dorman, Fowler, Gardiner, Kelvin, Rushton and Hornsby, to name a few of the more exotic and esteemed engines, which surely must run purely on their fabled good names!

But more highly praised are those ancient engines which bark on a very low tick-over, and can never go slower than 3mph, thus disturbing the peace of the backwaters! Also found coupled to these engines will be the obligatory highly polished brass engine control wheels.

These snobs will invariably remain oblivious to any other more humble boater, but only to quick to covet the engine of an others “Traditional Engine” I always make a point of shouting a cheerily “Good Morning/Afternoon” to them and inanely smile and grin at them until the grudgingly acknowledge my mere presence.

At the other end of the Inland waterways hierarchy as the holiday hire boat, this is more than a little unfair, for we all had to learn boat handling craft at sometime previously, in fact, many are keen boaters, who simply cannot afford the investment in a narrowboat and are very good, experienced boaters.

A little above these despised wretches, are those part owners of syndicate / shared ownership boaters, for the very nature of the ownership of these boats, is the driving compulsion for the shareholder to get out and about, regardless of the weather.

Some may argue that the lowest of the low are those new age travelers, or, water way warriors, those of the great un-washed clan, who congregate together along private linear moorings, littering the banks of the canal with their litter and collection of exotic heritage junk. Some of the old historic boats that I have witnessed must be a social workers nightmare, for they often have a young, large family squatting down inside these damp rotting hulks, cowering under tarpaulin covers.

I never imagined that there would even be those who think that they are superior (by the fact that they have a permanent linear mooring on the GU at Cosgrove, to those poor souls who have the apparent misfortune to have a permanent mooring on the Buckingham Arm of the Grand Union.

I won’t even hazard to invite further wrath by mentioning the unmentionable (Tupperware craft), for there is far too much to get my head around the hierarchy on the narrowboat world!

Why oh why, cannot folk enjoy the bliss that the inland waterways haven exudes, without having to have envy spoiling what can be as close to paradise that we can find in these septic isles?

:lol:

OOOhhhh I do love a bit of engine snobbery dear - strange though how most of those makes you mention above are not considered very highly in circles outside of the marine environment (Gardners excepted perhaps). Have to say I'm quite happy with my Cruiser Stern and Perkins thank you very much and don't put it above or below anything else..

See! we do agree on something!

There's hope for that pint yet!

Edited to say:

If you click on "options" and then select "switch to linear+" you can see the original post, btw.

You would not want to have a pint with me Carlt. I didn't have enough diesel to get to the water point and have been unable to wash for a week. I squatted on a boat because it was safer than the streets. Do you have an address I might use to sign on? Floating out here, I'm singing to myself........Ground control to Major Tom. Can you hear me; My circuit has gone. Oh drat. I've ran out of electricity........I'm adrift....Tell the disconnected I love them very much you know....................Please contact Gordon Brown to tell him that I can't afford an enema from all the food I have had to scrounge that has bunged me up. Please also add that he is the only man I know that can have an enema and still be full of shit.....light is flickering now......Hope there is enough left to send this...............................

[

Unless, of course, it is the toxic fumes being emitted from the drives woodbines, which, invariably fogs up the windscreen?

Is this a co-incidence, for today is the 60th birthday of the launch of the original LandRover

Ummm Oh I see. Ummm I am glad that you have a vehicle that gets you from A to B I think the army uses landrovers so they must be fairly reliable. I think they may be used on Safari's too so I would definitely want one of those if I was being chased by a tiger.

I rather like the look of little electric cars that are easy to park. What's the snob value of those? Fogging up the windscreen is not a major problem, is it? I have a litte hand held fan that could de-mist it. Too much paraphernalia in those modern cars I say. Woodbines? My uncle used to smoke those. I know a lot of people who tinker with themselves but I would not discuss them in this forum. I am way too snobby to do that.

Dear Heather,

Many thanks for your courteous reply, I must stress, that the aims of my original posting was very much tongue in cheek, yet, at the same time poking earnest planks of truth into the eys's of hypocrisy that I sadly witness all too often. For me, I find the waterways the fifth dimension in these "Septic Isles" of what used to be called "Great Britain". I find sanctuary and peacefulness in these backwaters, and take humble thankfulness in what they have to offer, coupled together with a direct contact with the fawn and fauna, and the weather patterns that these Isles have to offer, is all too often blighted by what I simply observe. I am not a proud, or, envious man, I think that I am fairly affable. Maybe I yearn to get away form the rat race that life in England / UK throws at us, I sadly thought that I had found it on the waterways, but sadly have become to realise that humans callous nature of envy and greed is even reflected on these peaceful backwaters. Maybe I am showing, ,or simply reflecting the ugly greed and envy that mankind prevails in all walks of life?

Best regards,

Byeckerslike

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jxv0aY404E

Listen to the above and see if this is true, if I have managed to do the you tube link

I have the same birthday as you byeckerslike so we are fellow Aquarians,not snobby at all,

will be joining you on the cut in May, please dont think badly of us, no back cabin, no old engine, kitchen at the back, sorry

Galley at the stern, bedroom at front, sorry boudoise at bow, Rosie and Jim being knitted for us as we speak,

Who would live on a boat like this !!!

Chavs " no early retirees can't wait.

Regards :wub::lol::) not letting the captin wear a cap tho ^_^ " Oh and we'll speak to any one

Edited by Digitalis

<<<I would suggest the ONLY reason a series 1 landy owner would wave would be to wipe the condensation from the screen as Carl suggests!>>>

I'm sorry but your typos made me read this differently. I knew you meant lady owner though so I should not nitpick :lol:

Love it,

Although I expect to find you under attack from owners of those high end snob boats with vintage lumps, who's names you are not even worthy to spell correctly....

Russell Newbery ('e' not 'u', and only one 'r')

Ruston and Hornsby (no 'h', in first name)

God, I hope I've got those right, or I am going to feel so stupid!

I don't have any trouble spelling mine - BMC - well it's a damn sight older, (more vintage ??), than many of those Russell Newberys :)

Would that be lumps or lamps? :wub:

<<<I would suggest the ONLY reason a series 1 landy owner would wave would be to wipe the condensation from the screen as Carl suggests!>>>

I'm sorry but your typos made me read this differently. I knew you meant lady owner though so I should not nitpick ^_^

Would that be lumps or lamps? ;)

I never know whose who and who's Jock's Father sometimes

only a baby in its own private room :)

engine001.jpg

Luvverly Dennis.

And there's maybe room to sling a hammock across, corner to corner, if you have guests.

Edited by NBMike

I love the way you managed to cram in your boat, classic car and land rover into two paragraphs :) Given the amount of post that goes astray in my area, I can now print your post out and wave it in the face of customer services. They don't even provide parking spaces for my imaginary Porche to park directly in front of the apologetic little hovels that I have to venture into to complain to customer services. Now I see why Post offices are closing nationwide. They have overpaid posties!

Your assumption that only the wealthy can have hobbies is interesting.

What are tradesmen? Are they those minions we throw leftover cake to? * ducking the flames to follow this*

I see you are just as adept at spotting satire as you claim to be.

If heather brings her brasso, she can have the pint on my boat:

Now that's an altogether higher dimension of engine snobbery, having two.

When I go boating, I hate everyone. This is because they are all out to get me, the Daily Mail says so. Some of them are foriegners you know.

When I go boating, I hate everyone. This is because they are all out to get me, the Daily Mail says so. Some of them are foriegners you know.

I don't know why people don't like me - I always wave my Daily Mail, smile benignly and shout "Ha! Englischer dummer Dummkopf - GutenTag" in a most cheery fashion . . .