Do other folk find the snobbery in canal boating exasperating??

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

OK then, let's have the definitive hierarchy of 'vintage' (i.e. old) engines with sub-hierarchies based on year, model, no. of cylinders, marine or otherwise etc...

Different people like and admire different things and will be drawn to others on the basis of that; that's natural and nothing wrong with it UNLESS people start being nasty and hostile or rude or agressive. After all, snobbery is closely linked to aspiration, and we don't tend to think that's a bad thing.

I don't see how you can avoid judging by appearances and first impressions - what that actually is, is years of experience coming into play subconsciously, and 90% of the time it works. As long as you're prepared to change your initial judgement if it proves to be mistaken, again, no harm.

Very true,

What I posted was definitely done tongue in cheek - well aware that I could be stirring up a hornets nest, but to be 99% accurate, we have only found 1 couple on a very desirable NB, with BMC (Boat Mans Cabin) and a very nice Russell Newbury a gleaming in polished brass, green and red paint, was 11 months ago, when we were returning through Braunston Tunnel and through the locks, they were very, very freindly, gave us plenty of good tips and pearls of wisdom, we even shared lunch with them. But! all the other "Superior Trads, with BMC, have all been identical, would NEVER look at us, never acknowledged our presence, until we become pains in their faces, by smiling and hailing cheery hello's

I hate snobbery of all kinds, only the other day when mored up taking some tiffin we were we passed a gentleman and his family on another boat, I noticed then that the boat was painted in very much 'last years colours' and looking through the window it didn't even have a stainless steel galley thingy, also it must have been every bit of five years old, but live and let live I say.

We must maintain some standards though, this chap who actually wore a working mans cap pushed his way into the next lock before me, I sent my man over to remonstrate with the bounder and he had the affrontary to claim some form of quaint precedence, on the grounds that he was there first or some such pathetic excuse.

Like I say I'm all for equality but there must be limits.

Jon, I love it! Our man who does for us - Chivers, always pushes common oikes and bounders away from our NB, by means of the barge Pole, and a super sharpened boat hook. When he is off duty, he is to be found in the butlers cellar ensuring that the bubbly is stored at the correct temperature!

Still chuckling!

Rob

Edited by Byeckerslike

Your post exhibits unbelievable snobbery.

On the contrary Carlt, I think it displays someone who has observed and condensed snobbery into something that is the funniest read I've had since reading 'Narrow Dog of Carcassone.

I think your post displays a lack of a sense of humour and an inability to detect satire.

I think your post displays a lack of a sense of humour and an inability to detect satire.

Then you haven't read any of my other posts.

I think Narrowdog is rubbish, though.

Some may argue that the lowest of the low are those new age travelers, or, water way warriors, those of the great un-washed clan, who congregate together along private linear moorings, littering the banks of the canal with their litter and collection of exotic heritage junk. Some of the old historic boats that I have witnessed must be a social workers nightmare, for they often have a young, large family squatting down inside these damp rotting hulks, cowering under tarpaulin covers.

Having been a victim of this form of prejudice, I find it offensive.

Edited by carlt

Then you haven't read any of my other posts.

I think Narrowdog is rubbish, though.

It is true that I haven't read any of your other posts. I haven't logged in here for a long while.

You are perfectly entitled to find Narrowdog rubbish as I am perfectly entitled to have fallen for the daft mutt and adorably daft owners of the mutt and their adventures. I guess it is different strokes for different folks, and that ever vanishing common sensical phrase of "live and let live" still applies in my philosophy of life. I very much doubt that you and I shall ever share a pint on either of our respective narrowboats but happy boating nonetheless Carlt

Eh? :) Where's the scratching head icon when you need it?

If anyone found Narrowdog funny beyond the first couple of chapters, then they ought to get out more!

Janet

It is true that I haven't read any of your other posts. I haven't logged in here for a long while.

You are perfectly entitled to find Narrowdog rubbish as I am perfectly entitled to have fallen for the daft mutt and adorably daft owners of the mutt and their adventures. I guess it is different strokes for different folks, and that ever vanishing common sensical phrase of "live and let live" still applies in my philosophy of life. I very much doubt that you and I shall ever share a pint on either of our respective narrowboats but happy boating nonetheless Carlt

Blimey, I didn't have to work too hard to rattle your cage, did I?

Hi Byeckerslike,

Although I don't agree with everything you observed, I found your observations a hoot. They reminded me of Jilly Cooper's book on Class which I read way longer back than I care to remember.

I have also observed snobbery on the canals. It takes all sorts. I find boating life on the canals to be very British. In this current politically correct climate we have to endure, I am anticipating a barrage of replies calling me racist in daring to declare something British . I will deal with them as they arrive. I love the Britishness of canal life. I am not a live aboard so I will experience boating differently to those who are.

I don't know one engine from another. I just observe some boats passing that sound different. Some have hatches open to show off highly polished brass in the middle of the boat and I ponder to myself...............I wonder if he keeps the loo as clean as that?

I have issues about your comments on those you describe as the great unwashed but shall deal with this in a seperate post.

I hate the software that Canal World is using which is why I seldom bother to log in here. I like to see the original post in front of me when I reply. This software is so unuser friendly that I prefer the primitive interface on Facebook. At least I can have the poster's post visible there.

Anyway Thanks for the belly laughs Bikers like. I enjoyed your take on it all.

I have issues about your comments on those you describe as the great unwashed but shall deal with this in a seperate post.

See! we do agree on something!

There's hope for that pint yet!

Edited to say:

If you click on "options" and then select "switch to linear+" you can see the original post, btw.

Edited by carlt

Eh? :) Where's the scratching head icon when you need it?

If anyone found Narrowdog funny beyond the first couple of chapters, then they ought to get out more!

Janet

LOL Well I for one don't want to get out more on the Channel in a narrowboat. I am very happy to read the adventures of those who do push narrowboating to its limits though. I guess I'm a sucker for dogs, eccentrics and accounts of their personalities and adventures. I certainly don't judge anyone on the basis of having enjoyed any book as being an indoors type or an outdoors type though I probably should get out more. I do read a lot :lol:

So far I've found most to be perfectly friendly - even when their shiny boat is sharing a lock with my old bucket.

Ah but your old bucket makes them feel so good about their slightly newer buckets. I'll bet you have problems finding an exclusive mooring spot without being crowded by posh boats. Hyancinth Bucket is currently trying to locate your boat and will stalk you when she locates it

Hi Byeckerslike,

Although I don't agree with everything you observed, I found your observations a hoot. They reminded me of Jilly Cooper's book on Class which I read way longer back than I care to remember.

I have also observed snobbery on the canals. It takes all sorts. I find boating life on the canals to be very British. In this current politically correct climate we have to endure, I am anticipating a barrage of replies calling me racist in daring to declare something British . I will deal with them as they arrive. I love the Britishness of canal life. I am not a live aboard so I will experience boating differently to those who are.

I don't know one engine from another. I just observe some boats passing that sound different. Some have hatches open to show off highly polished brass in the middle of the boat and I ponder to myself...............I wonder if he keeps the loo as clean as that?

I hate the software that Canal World is using which is why I seldom bother to log in here. I like to see the original post in front of me when I reply. This software is so unuser friendly that I prefer the primitive interface on Facebook. At least I can have the poster's post visible there.

Anyway Thanks for the belly laughs Bikers like. I enjoyed your take on it all.

Dear Heather,

Many thanks for your courteous reply, I must stress, that the aims of my original posting was very much tongue in cheek, yet, at the same time poking earnest planks of truth into the eys's of hypocrisy that I sadly witness all too often. For me, I find the waterways the fifth dimension in these "Septic Isles" of what used to be called "Great Britain". I find sanctuary and peacefulness in these backwaters, and take humble thankfulness in what they have to offer, coupled together with a direct contact with the fawn and fauna, and the weather patterns that these Isles have to offer, is all too often blighted by what I simply observe. I am not a proud, or, envious man, I think that I am fairly affable. Maybe I yearn to get away form the rat race that life in England / UK throws at us, I sadly thought that I had found it on the waterways, but sadly have become to realise that humans callous nature of envy and greed is even reflected on these peaceful backwaters. Maybe I am showing, ,or simply reflecting the ugly greed and envy that mankind prevails in all walks of life?

Best regards,

Byeckerslike

I thought everyone was lovely to each other on the canals but to be honest in our two week trip we did meet some very rude people. I got completely ignored by a few. (this may have been my terrible steering) I have to say the old boat owners with there big loud engines seem to be the worst. One same guy was rude to me a couple of times, and one woman ignored me not cause her engine was to loud but her stereo was!

I also had a lady on a hire boat take a dislike to me. Maybe it was the tattoos or because i caught my finger while doing locks and swore infront of her children or maybe it was because we had to tell them that two boats would fit in one lock im not sure.

Since i got to Saul though everyone has been lovely. I did get told off by a bridge man for not keeping up with the speedy boat in front though.

I take everyone in all walks of life as i find them. I think having lots of tattoos may make me a little intimidating but i try to make up for it by being extra nice. I just wish some people would get to know people before making judgements. Maybe thats what i have done with the coments above but least i gave them a chance first. Maybe i'm talking out of my arse now.... :)

I think you cracked it Chickadee. Take everyone as you find them. I for one would never submit to having a tattoo but I do like some of the artwork on skin. Heavily tattood people to me, give me a first response of bohemian. I rather like bohemians so I am more likely to be friendly towards them. Tattoos are a statement and I can also understand why they might repel those who are more conservative.

You were very tolerant at only swearing in front of the children. I'd have more than likely sworn at them for not assisting with the locks ^_^

You see Allan, it is like this........

Prior to me visiting Chris he gave me cause to believe his boat was fitted out with fully equipped dungeon and a sploshing pool. You will of course understand my reluctance to visit the boat when this came to light! :wub:

He now feels the need to consistently misspell this item and call it a spoosh pool to try and make every one believe he knows nothing about this pastime. :lol:

In fact, Chris being the private person he is I never even got a glimpse of his liberty bodice let alone his power tools

ROFLMAO I think Chris deserves at least 50 lashes with a wet noodle for that!

Pah!! Again! All fibs ... I've even got the pictures Dave ... er ... took ... er ... said too much, haven't I .... COAT!!

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH! Fibber! I've never met either of you, and why would I take photos of yours when I've got.........well....yes......anyway.........

Ah but your old bucket makes them feel so good about their slightly newer buckets. I'll bet you have problems finding an exclusive mooring spot without being crowded by posh boats. Hyancinth Bucket is currently trying to locate your boat and will stalk you when she locates it

But I prefer to moor up out in the wilds on my own........

7) Age (or rather degree or grey-hairedness) I bought my first nb when I was 28 - a few people were downright obnoxious about that! But the worst experience of canal-related ageism I've ever encountered involved a 72-year-old woman taking her little nb (it was tiny, mind you, so was she!) out for a week's holiday. The previous three boaters she'd met at locks had refused to let her share the lock with them because she 'couldn't pull her weight'. Made me really angry.

8) Saloon: aft or not?

Makes me angry reading this. A civilized society and civilized people show respect for elderly people. Disgusting arrogant twats! Grrrr

Where's the scratching head icon when you need it?

Bottle - everything is found at the bottom of one, t'is said. I have the evidence, I asked for a smiley with a halo in another post and [the] Bottle provided me with two. Bring on the wine, I say!

I realise this is :) but I've always found drink a great leveller - most apt in a post about snobbery, me argues!

Very nice engine - as a matter of :) interest, where did you get your Kelvin green paint?

Oh dear! Does that make me a snob too? 

Knowing absolutely nothing about engines, I would not think that yours is a sign of snobbery. The knobs on top of the engine are not co-ordinated in shape. I would have given a verdigris finish to the green on the pipes. Of course this is just my humble snobby opinion on the aesthetics of an engine :lol:

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH! Fibber! I've never met either of you, and why would I take photos of yours when I've got.........well....yes......anyway.........

I won't say a word if you promise not to Dave :)

It has struck me that unless we have been aboard a particular boat it can be very difficult to know just how well appointed it is inside.

There are many boats which are overdue a lick of paint but that part of the restoration is due later.

The people with the floating gin palaces may like to leave no one in any doubt about how well appointed their boat may be inside but I suspect many a NB that looks a bit tired round the edges may be beautifully fitted out inside and include all manner of fixtures and fittings.

When I get back from a few weeks on the boat I find myself smiling and waving to strangers on the street ... who look at me as if I'm mad. Whatever petty jealousies there may be on the water there's still a far greater tradition of friendliness to strangers than there is in 'normal' life.

I'm a naturally surly person who has been unwillingly transformed by boating into a chererful, outgoing and friendly type (if you have the right sort of boat of course.... :lol: )

I'm in entire agreement with you Warrior. Where I might disagree with you is on a minor point. Normal life is the smiling and waving. Dissociated people don't smile and wave. OMG I am becoming a canal snob :)

*waving and smiling at ya*

Jon, I love it! Our man who does for us - Chivers, always pushes common oikes and bounders away from our NB, by means of the barge Pole, and a super sharpened boat hook. When he is off duty, he is to be found in the butlers cellar ensuring that the bubbly is stored at the correct temperature!

long shaft

cabin shaft

Isn't it time we had a nose-in-the-air smiley for up-their-own-bottom pedants like me?

(and now I will no doubt be swiftly corrected in my nomenclature by carl et al)

As a boater, classic car and land rover enthusiast I spent more time than the average person waving and nodding to my fellow traveller (though there is a theory that series land rover owners aren't waving, they're clearing the mist from the windscreen).

It was a relief to go to work and revert to type (grumpy yorkshireman) and just ignore everyone. And then I went and did a year as a postman!

Everybody greets the postie and expects cheeriness, at 7am after 2hours of sorting! Bah Humbug!!

I love the way you managed to cram in your boat, classic car and land rover into two paragraphs :) Given the amount of post that goes astray in my area, I can now print your post out and wave it in the face of customer services. They don't even provide parking spaces for my imaginary Porche to park directly in front of the apologetic little hovels that I have to venture into to complain to customer services. Now I see why Post offices are closing nationwide. They have overpaid posties!