mobile internet

SarahB

Featured Posts

Ray, If your device has the facility for an external antenna to be plugged into it then (as long as there is an adaptor available ) you can attach an external antenna which will mount on the cabin top. You are still not guaranteed to get perfect reception but it will be much improved. Have a search on the internet for adaptors and antennas as there is quite a lot of kit out there for this very purpose.

Good luck

Giles.

Just checked my Vodaphone price plan and call charges and it seems I can now get 15Mb for £1 a day. Doesn't seem too bad if you just want to check emails occasionally while out and doesn't commit you to anything. Easy to connect too using Bluetooth & Nokia Suite.

Hiya

I'm on T Mobile "web and walk" for £20 pm. means I can shift my laptop between the pub that I run and the boat that I hope to be on within the month. When TV started to be available for download I was chuffed and thought the whole thing was an ideal package (due to the hours I work I dont get to watch telly at normal times - so saving an episode for later was brilliant) However downloading TV eats up the gigabytes and I got a letter warning me to slow down or they would slow down my service as I had got through 40 gig in a month.

cheers

Phil

Just checked my Vodaphone price plan and call charges and it seems I can now get 15Mb for £1 a day. Doesn't seem too bad if you just want to check emails occasionally while out and doesn't commit you to anything. Easy to connect too using Bluetooth & Nokia Suite.

Seem a gnat's pricey, my Vodafone is £15 per month for 4Gb

As an existing 3 mobile customer I've been offered that 3gb deal at half price for an 18 month contract. The question is - is it any good? I think they give you a few days to use it in which you can return it if you're not satisfied.

hi sarah

i just got a T-Mobile modam for my laptop, 2 year contract at £15 a month with free modam 3.2gb.... works wll round the Barbridge area

even had the webcam going on it, you occasionally lose a signal yes...just re-boot it

Regards lockgateman

I'm with 3 on 'pay as you go', I top up once a month, this costs £10.00. This is for 1GB, I've never got anywhere near using a GB in a month, the downside being you lose it if you dont use it! The costs are as follows;

1GB of data lets you: Send 650 plain text emails AND surf the web for 30hrs AND download 30 two minute videos AND download 60 music tracks.

3GB of data lets you: Send 2000 plain text emails AND surf the web for 100hrs AND download 100 two minute videos AND download 200 music tracks.

7GB of data lets you: Send 4500 plain text emails AND surf the web for 200hrs AND download 200 two minute videos AND download 400 music tracks

1Gb costs £10, 3Gb costs £15 and 7Gb is £25

The only other cost was the dongle, got that on ebay for £49.00

Tiger.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd open this one up again instead of starting an identical thread.

I have been thinking its about time I signed up to one of these mobile internet providers, and get "honest" access to the Internet... I have decided to go with Three as a couple of people on my moorings have one and they get pretty decent speeds. I have decided to go for the 3Gb for £15 / month option. Went to sign up but got stumped.

Why on earth do they insist that the billing address is the same as the delivery address? I work 8.30 - 5.30 so won't be here during the day to sign (they send it recorded delivery) so what the hell am I to do? Tried Live Chat but they were busy and I hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes... that was sales so I wouldn't like to try tech support!

Am I making the right choice?

Thought I'd open this one up again instead of starting an identical thread.

I have been thinking its about time I signed up to one of these mobile internet providers, and get "honest" access to the Internet... I have decided to go with Three as a couple of people on my moorings have one and they get pretty decent speeds. I have decided to go for the 3Gb for £15 / month option. Went to sign up but got stumped.

Why on earth do they insist that the billing address is the same as the delivery address? I work 8.30 - 5.30 so won't be here during the day to sign (they send it recorded delivery) so what the hell am I to do? Tried Live Chat but they were busy and I hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes... that was sales so I wouldn't like to try tech support!

I had a similar problem when I ordered my vodafone one. My postal address is in Surrey (mum's address) and I'm in Leics. Mum is a superstar though she missed the delivery and because it needed a signature it got taken to the post office. Is this an option for you? Miss it and pop to the post office on a Saturday? Mine got to mum's within 2 days so it was only 5 days before I actually got it as she posted it on to work for me.

S

I had a similar problem when I ordered my vodafone one. My postal address is in Surrey (mum's address) and I'm in Leics. Mum is a superstar though she missed the delivery and because it needed a signature it got taken to the post office. Is this an option for you? Miss it and pop to the post office on a Saturday? Mine got to mum's within 2 days so it was only 5 days before I actually got it as she posted it on to work for me.

S

Can't you just go into one of their shops and get one, thats what I've always done.

Hi Sarah,

I suppose the sensible thing would be to order it online and then, as you say, go on a Saturday morning and pick the booger up, even that does mean missing out on quality boating time :D

LM, another good idea... I'm going to the hell hole they call the Trafford Center later so I will check to see whether they have a shop there and if they do, get it there and then.

Edited to add: Yep, they have a store in the Trafford Center so will be able to pick one up later on with a bit of luck.

Edited by Liam

We swapped from T mobile to 3 several months ago as we were getting poor reception with the data card we were using, went with the usb dongle and reception was much better, have been out cruising since end of march, mostly in the midlands area, have had no problem with reception except one mooring where we had to stick the dongle out of the mushroom vent to get a good signal. Mostly 3g reception but have HSDPA nearer any towns we have been past. Not bad at £15 a month.

If you're not already a customer with any of the networks, it might be worth doing a bit of haggling :D I.e. if you're in a shopping centre with several mobile shops, go to T-mobile and get a quote, then go to 3 and say "T-Mobile have just offered me 4GB a month for £15; can you offer me anything better?"

As an existing 3 customer, you can apparently also get deals on the dongle, as it were. I need to go into the shop and have a chat...

Ah yes, haggling, I like the sound of that especially when you get to play one against t'other! :D

I have just been on the Three.co.uk website again and have noticed that they're doing a "refer a friend" scheme. Refer two friends and each of you receive £30. Not bad really as it'd pay for the first two months of the 3Gb package or 3 months of the 1Gb Package. If there are others thinking of signing up I'm sure somebody with a current Three account wouldn't mind referring people for £30 a pop!

Three is great but I wouldn't bother buying off them, use Ebay its cheaper and easier. I paid £49.00 for the whole kit on Ebay.

Tiger.

Three is great but I wouldn't bother buying off them, use Ebay its cheaper and easier. I paid £49.00 for the whole kit on Ebay.

Tiger.

But what was the £49.00 for? Surely that can't include the contract?

Just got back from the Three store. £15 per month for 3Gbs usage and a free dongle with a 12 month contract. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

But what was the £49.00 for? Surely that can't include the contract?

Just got back from the Three store. £15 per month for 3Gbs usage and a free dongle with a 12 month contract. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

If you buy the 'dongle' for £39 or £49 you're not tied into any contract. You just pay as you go. The cost and service is exactly the same, contract or no contract. When you buy the £10 or £15 top up it lasts 30days and cannot be carried forward.

Without a contract you can decide how much you want to buy each month or if any at all. ie if, like us, you go to the US for a few months each winter you're not committed to buy monthly via a contract.

In case it is of interest, I recently got a '3' on pay-as-you-go. I have landline at home, so just wanted something to use on the boat. I've only been using it for a couple of days, but so far no problems.

I'm currently en-route from northampton to crick - I was getting about 750kbps last night at Bugbrooke, and am presently getting 1Mbps at Norton junction.

Modem currently £49.99 on PAYG, free on contract (so long as you are happy with it in black!) Other colours seem to cost more?!?

Peter

When checking out the offers, check and check again.

The limit of download allowance at the the moment 'unlimited' means 3Gb.

Check the charges when exceeding this allowance.

Also check the download speeds they vary from about 1.8 Mb to 7.2Mb.

When checking out the offers, check and check again.

The limit of download allowance at the the moment 'unlimited' means 3Gb.

Check the charges when exceeding this allowance.

S' true. I am on T Mobile WaW 3gb @ £20 pm and have consistantly exceeded my download limit according to their fair usage policy (watching BBC i programmes) they have slowed my connection down to 64kbs for a fortnight which is, I think, the digital version of the naughty chair :-)

Also remember that the quoted speeds are also 'up to' (i.e. that is the fastest you will ever get) The norm will usually be somewhat slower.

As example, the standard '3' quotes 'up to 2.8Mb' - Whilst I haven't had it very long, I have yet to see more than 1Mb.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
We have the T-mobile 3gb £15 a month deal. Brilliant. Often connecting at 7.2Mbps. I wouldn't go with 3 - their customer service is SOOOOO bad. Absolute sods.

Same as me.Good old T moblie

Had 3 for a day but didnt work. :lol: Took it back to the shop and told them about not getting it connected.

I was told i couldn't have my airtime money back top-up £25 but they would give me my £99 toggle money.

When i asked why i wouldn't get my top-up money back they said that there was coverage in my area.So no refund on the airtime.

When i asked about the coverage the day before thay said there was coverage in my area.

YES there is coverage but you can't open the web pages.The guy in the shop (phones F*** U)said

"errmmmm yeah we know about that"

Why the bleep bleep bleep didn't say.

"ermmmm you didn't ask"

Have asked 3g for my money back but to no avail.

Bunch of robbing naughty people

Peace

Just started using Voda's 3 gig for £15 deal. Straight on to ebay for a USB extension lead, taped the dongle to a pole (inside a plastic bag) and stuck it up on the boat roof!

Plenty quick enough, even video downloads are not too slow and the 3 gig seems enough for my needs. Had to tell a few porkies to the man in the shop when it blew in the river last week and stopped working.....! They eventually replaced the dongle for a new one thankfully.

Only moored about 100 yards from you Sarah, so at least you know it will work!

Andy.