Rats ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Soon to be boating more I hope but one thing I have been wondering about is rats... I don't like them but SWMBO is seriously phased by them.. I have seen devices that go over mooring lines, to stop them tightroping up from the bank, but frequently have been moored up tight to a bank when it would be possible for one to literally stroll on board if it so chose.. :huh:

So, what do people do, if anything, is it a totally unfounded concern, or something we should always be aware of and keep doors shut when not active by them ? And if one does get aboard, is it likely to want to get off when it realises its not alone, or try to resist attempts at eviction - I have read they fly at your throat if cornered (inadvertently ?) :)

Thanks,

Nick

hold on....

I've just tried an experiment, and cornered one for you. As you can see, it just looked a bit peeved, and demanded tasty treats to make up for the indignity. :huh:

millhousecrop.jpg

there was absolutely no attempt to go for my neck.

My 2nd experiment was also a failure, it just went back to sleep

IMGP0014-1.jpg

my 3rd attempt just ignored me

IMGP0005-2.jpg

Edited by fuzzyduck

So, what do people do, if anything, is it a totally unfounded concern, or something we should always be aware of and keep doors shut when not active by them ? And if one does get aboard, is it likely to want to get off when it realises its not alone, or try to resist attempts at eviction - I have read they fly at your throat if cornered (inadvertently ?)

gcdanger.jpg

'GC' says that rats have never been a problem on 'Alnwick' - sometimes they are quite tasty!

'GC' says that rats have never been a problem on 'Alnwick' - sometimes they are quite tasty!

just hit it with a shovel. that's what I do if a cat gets in.

the cat is actually a good idea, rats have an innate fear of the smell of cats, and will not go anywhere near em, just smear a dead cat round your doors and windows. or if you can stand the vile creatures, keep a cat.

Edited by fuzzyduck

You see loads of rats on the canal, they are just a part of it, they say there's one within so many feet of you all the time. The closest I have got to a wild rat is when sat fishing on the back of the boat... it didn't see me as I was sat there quite still for some time but as soon as I moved it legged it. There have been loads more times when they have been disturbed and all they do is run in the opposite direction. We have a dog so in our situation it may be different but although I rarely hear the patter of feet on top of the boat late at night we have never, to our knowledge, had a rat on the boat, and I think it wouldn't be too long until we found out anyway. I wouldn't go over the top either, with keeping doors and windows/side hatches shut.

It's okay saying this as people have fears which can't be helped but you will not get them jumping at your throat, that's just an old wife's tale. You will probably go for weeks or even months at a time without seeing one.

the cat is actually a good idea, rats have an innate fear of the smell of cats, and will not go anywhere near em, just smear a dead cat round your doors and windows. or if you can stand the vile creatures, keep a cat.

Beware 'GC' like's duck as an occasional treat!

It's okay saying this as people have fears which can't be helped but you will not get them jumping at your throat, that's just an old wife's tale. You will probably go for weeks or even months at a time without seeing one.

Try emptying a spud stack of bagged spuds, and see if they don't go for the throat.

huh?

Not a country boy then? When we had to load a lorry with bags of pre packed spuds.Two of you would use a cosh ( a cosh being a stick similar to a baseball bat) to throw the bags up on to the lorry. The loading would disturb the rats, and at times they would launch themselves at you, you would use the cosh to try and hit them in mid air. believe me you didn't want to miss. This wasn't a common occurrence, but it did happen, just one of the perks of the job. :huh: Where was the health and safety brigade then? this is what came with the job and you just got on with it, and I was only a school boy at the time.

Our old jack russell Katie is a great rat catcher,

Only time i have ever been visted by uninvited guests is on the south Oxford when moored at Clatercote Wharf, and the tiny field mouse, enjoyed making a nest in one of our cushions.....we finally released it in the cushion near fenny

You're unlikely to get rats climbing up your mooring ropes unless perhaps you left food on the decks.

Or moored anywhere near human habitation. They come on board looking for food, not because they've seen it through their binoculars.

If they find a way in, they go and get their mates.

gallery_518_1_11733.jpg

Lucy's Anti-vermin boards, in the 70s.

Don't leave food lying about, empty your bin regularly and they won't bother you. Rats are pretty shy and they'll soon peg it if they see a human, especially if you've got a rifle. Try baiting them and you'll see what I mean, you could leave food right under their noses but they won't touch it if they know your there.

There have been loads more times when they have been disturbed and all they do is run in the opposite direction. We have a dog so in our situation it may be different but although I rarely hear the patter of feet on top of the boat late at night we have never, to our knowledge, had a rat on the boat, and I think it wouldn't be too long until we found out anyway. I wouldn't go over the top either, with keeping doors and windows/side hatches shut.

I had a rat on the boat when I moored at Camden lock market one Saturday night. He jumped on the roof, grabbed the mooring pole and ran off with it. Later the same night we had another four drunken rats sitting on th back deck, singing "what shall we do with the drunken sailor?" and then they threw the life ring overboard.

IMHO these rats are much more trouble the the furry kind.

Mike

The going for the throat thing is just not true, if you trap a rat in a corner the rat will appear to go for the throat but in fact they are aiming for the light behind you to make an escape.

ps: have got the hangover from hell as I was on the Spitfire last night :huh:

Agreed.. The neck is the narrowest part of "most" peoples bodies. If a rat is cornered they just try to get past where they see the biggest gap. Just like you would if a monster 30 times your height was tryin to pin you in to hit you with a bat.

You could always swing the cat to hit the rat..... :)

Our old jack russell Katie is a great rat catcher,

We have Jack Russells too. They love rats and are not fussed which meal that they have them for.

I've never had a rat problem on a boat (that is so far, I've never had a rat problem).

Those rat boards are a good and simple idea too.

Those rat boards are a good and simple idea too.

and what about cycle clips or string round the trouser ankles, a vital precautionary measure, shirley. mind you if they do get in just drop a ferret in from the top :huh: