going wireless

soffy

Featured Posts

Help.....

Ive got all confused about how to get connected to the internet without a landline in tow.

I am about if get my website going....Ive been saying this for years but the techno stuff keeps changing and as I am about to retire I want to get going with it all. Im hoping to run a small business. I have a imac something or the other and am about to get an iphone....but in the shops, as soon as I say I live on a boat - I get the usual response...Oh ere Mrs....and.... do boats run on electric - etc.

If any of you techno boaties out there can help or push me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I can then earn millions of pounds and keep the old man booze and comfort for the rest of his life.......

:wub:

I assume you're crusing then and not on a resi mooring?

Look at Vodafone, O2, and 3 and look at their Wireless 3G packages and that should point you in the right direction.

Also TMobile web n walk fingy

Edited to add:

Other mobile internet providers are available

Edited by Baldock

Hi Soffy

Have a look here Orange (this is not a recomendation as I have not used it) it is for business use and I believe cost betweeen £25 and £29 a month. also check whether it will work with imac.

I would expect your local Orange shop could help.

Hi Soffy

Have a look here Orange (this is not a recomendation as I have not used it) it is for business use and I believe cost betweeen £25 and £29 a month. also check whether it will work with imac.

I would expect your local Orange shop could help.

Around here Oxfordshire, Orange is painfully slow, 3 works well.

Help.....

Ive got all confused about how to get connected to the internet without a landline in tow.

I am about if get my website going....Ive been saying this for years but the techno stuff keeps changing and as I am about to retire I want to get going with it all. Im hoping to run a small business. I have a imac something or the other and am about to get an iphone....but in the shops, as soon as I say I live on a boat - I get the usual response...Oh ere Mrs....and.... do boats run on electric - etc.

If any of you techno boaties out there can help or push me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I can then earn millions of pounds and keep the old man booze and comfort for the rest of his life.......

:wub:

If you buy an iPhone you'll be on o2 unless you hack it. You can't use the iPhone as a modem unless you hack it. You wouldn't want to anyway as it's only got EDGE connectivity and you really want 3G to connect your imac to the internet, EDGE will be like going back to the days of dial-up access using a modem. The iphone will be fine for picking up e-mail and some limited web-browsing, and it even works as a phone when there's a decent signal.

If you are within range of a wifi hotspot your iphone will use it and if your imac has an Airport card you will also be able to use wifi but you'll probably have to pay to connect your imac, it's free (from certain providers) with the iphone.

If you really are going to get an iPhone and you're not going to hack it then you'll need to adopt another solution for your imac to do anything serious with it. I've not used any of the others so I can't recommend a provider. I don't think you'll enjoy carrying the imac round to Weatherspoons or Macdonalds every time you want to use their wifi to connect to the internet but if you have a laptop it's not too much of a problem.

Stewart

Been with Orange for three years using one of their Business Everywhere datacards. I bought a plug in external/magmount antenna from Boatersphone, and can now get 3G out here in the sticks. £25 a month,unlimited use..

Andy.

Orange eve and weekend unlimited £5 a month. I'm happy

Sue

However you make the connection, subscribe to Onspeed - around £19 pa. Accelerates the download speed by up to 4 times through file compression, which helps the cost if you are on a tariff that depends on volume of traffic.

Note that some stuff like photos, graphics etc, in .jpg format, cannot be compressed further as they are already in a compressed mode. So downloading these kind of items will not be any faster using additional compression software.

Chris

How often does this question get asked! Can we have a sticky post with the answer in once and for all ???

Things change too quickly me thinks and there alot of differing views depending on service provider and location etc.

Does anyone have a pay-as-you-go internet connection, I only want mobile net for a fortnight on the Llangollen, any ideas?

Kev

Things change too quickly me thinks and there alot of differing views depending on service provider and location etc.

Does anyone have a pay-as-you-go internet connection, I only want mobile net for a fortnight on the Llangollen, any ideas?

Kev

Hi, Check this site out........ http://www.aardvaak.net/

It sounds very like waitrose.com who I have been using for years for Free. It is also an after 19.00 hrs call for me on my Orange plan for 50 mins then 1p min till 07.00 ( I think you can no longer get that plan )

I am also now using the NEW Orange Anywhere dongley thingy. 20.00 per month Seems to be great but not been ever where with it. It has 3 gb per month but they assure me I will not use that much for surfing the net and even if I do they do not charge !

Regards Patrick.

How often does this question get asked! Can we have a sticky post with the answer in once and for all ???
You could do but offers come and go (i'm tempted by the vodaphone one atm) and it does no harm reviving the subject, does it.It's better than bloated stickythreads.
Things change too quickly me thinks and there alot of differing views depending on service provider and location etc. Does anyone have a pay-as-you-go internet connection, I only want mobile net for a fortnight on the Llangollen, any ideas?Kev
I have Orange and t-mobile on payg. £1 a day, unlimited, t-mobile is quicker (much) but orange seems to have better coverage.