Recycle Centres near the canals. Your help needed

Kingken

Featured Posts

Hi,

Several visiters to the UKCanals website have asked about recycling centres near to the canals. I have decided to add a list of recycling centres that are in easy reach of the canal to the website.

This of course is a time consuming job, I am now searching through Council websites to find as many as possible.

I am sure that many visitors to this forum will be aware of centres near to the canals, if you do could you e-mail me with the details. i.e. Exact location, how many minutes walk from the canal, any restrictions and where to moor.

Your help will be most appreciated and all contributers to the list will be acknowledged.

Please e-mail me at ken@ukcanals dot net. if you can help.

A very comendable thing to do.

- I hope you get some good responses, because if nothing else, i would be interested in having access to the infomation myself.

- I'll have to wrack my brains and try and contribute myself. Usally the best ones are at supermarkets which of canalside themselfs.

Daniel

Recycling can be a problem for boaters. It is not just the location of "recycling" points that is the problem, but on smaller boats, like mine, storage space is a premium, and space for segregated rubbish is practically impossible. Some legislation for storage of segregated rubbish for new builds or boats over a certain size may be necessary. I do not see how small 'plastic' cruisers could ever comply!

Can you envisage a boater bringing his bag of mixed rubbish to the recycle centre, opening it up and segregating on site?

Edited for typo's

Edited by Radiomariner

We usually discard all unecesary packaging before we leave the supermarket - perhaps one day they may get the lesson. Having said that, we also happily burn a lot of paper and card packaging on our stove - it helps to keep us warm! :)

We also try to buy items that are not glamorously packaged - the only exceptions being bottles - we wouldn't want to manage without them!

As a general rule, boaters are not always the best re-cyclers - a quick nose through the nearest BW rubbish point will provide sufficient evidence to support that theory . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

g bottles - we wouldn't want to manage without them!

As a general rule, boaters are not always the best re-cyclers - a quick nose through the nearest BW rubbish point will provide sufficient evidence to support that theory . . .

Probably for the reason I gave above.

Not all boats have stoves to burn rubbish. Plastics burn wonderfully, put they do produce serious air pollution.

Fully support this.

Pendle Borough Council are particularly proactive (possibly something to do with the chair of the council being a boater....) There is a purpose built mooring next to their main recycling facility at Scotland Road, Nelson on the L&L - waste oil and all the usual stuff. Wonder if this is unique across the network?

Hi,

Several visiters to the UKCanals website have asked about recycling centres near to the canals. I have decided to add a list of recycling centres that are in easy reach of the canal to the website.

There was a list on a website somewhere, split north and south. Typically i can't find it at the moment, have to see how busy lunch is.

simon.

Ta Da....

recycling clicky

:)

I hope that saves you some effort as you can just publish the link rather than duplicate the resource,

Everyone, please keep it up to date.....

Edited by bristol & argo

Hi,

This of course is a time consuming job, I am now searching through Council websites to find as many as possible.

I am sure that many visitors to this forum will be aware of centres near to the canals, if you do could you e-mail me with the details. i.e. Exact location, how many minutes walk from the canal, any restrictions and where to moor.

Your help will be most appreciated and all contributers to the list will be acknowledged.

Please e-mail me at ken@ukcanals dot net. if you can help.

If you walk down the road south of Fobney Lock (Reading end of K&A) you will very quickly come to the main Reading recycling center, however the last time I was there it was mandatory to come by car - pedestrians are specifically excluded - so not much use.

They have just opened a plush new undercover facility on the same site, but I bet its still cars only.

Recycling can be a problem for boaters. It is not just the location of "recycling" points that is the problem, but on smaller boats, like mine, storage space is a premium, and space for segregated rubbish is practically impossible. Some legislation for storage of segregated rubbish for new builds or boats over a certain size may be necessary. I do not see how small 'plastic' cruisers could ever comply!

Can you envisage a boater bringing his bag of mixed rubbish to the recycle centre, opening it up and segregating on site?

Edited for typo's

I do that quite often. Am I weird? :lol:

Because we are utter piss-heads hen we boat, I'm getting very familiar with recycling points on the Lee and Stort :)

River Lee

There are recycling facilities opposite Springfield Marina in the park (adjacent to the cafe) they take glass, cans and paper and I think Plastic but not card. Further up the Lee before Tottenham Lock on the left, where the old pub (closed down) is, there are bins through the metal gates (on the Ferry Lane Estate) for glass, paper and cans. If you leave the River Lee and walk West anywhere from here to Chalk Bridge, any council estate you see will have black bins that take glass, paper, cardboard, cans, plastic (no need to sort them out).

Dobbs Weir (carpark on the right, before you go under the bridge towards the Weir) has recycling facilities for cans, glass.

Anyway, we use the Recycle-Now website to find out where we can recycle when we're on the move.

Recycle Now

Edited by Lady Muck

New Re-Cycling Centre a few hundred yards down the A426 towards Southam, from the Boat Inn at Birdingbury Wharf (just above Stocktom Locks) on the Northern G.U.

West Wiltshire Re-Cyling Centre on Canal Road 1/4 mile from Hilperton Marina on the K&A.

Pendle Borough Council are particularly proactive (possibly something to do with the chair of the council being a boater....) There is a purpose built mooring next to their main recycling facility at Scotland Road, Nelson on the L&L - waste oil and all the usual stuff. Wonder if this is unique across the network?

My local authority, North Kesteven DC are the top recycling council in the country. However, nowhere on their patch does a navigation come within sight of civilisation as we know it. However, I visited Germany and Denmark last summer and every public waste bin, urban and rural had 4 compartments for 'glass' 'paper' 'metal' and 'other' We have yet to take recycling seriously in this country.

What I have noticed though is that recycling sites at supermarkets have declined to virtual extinction as the council recycling collection rounds increased. Not sure what those that live on boats in the district (like Purple Fairy) do with theirs.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Hi,

Two on the Shroppie

1. Norbury Wharf (Norbury Junction) Glass, Paper, Cans - at the boatyard

2. Brewood - Glass, Paper, Cans - in car park of "Bridge Inn" adjacent visitor moorings.

Jim

I do that quite often. Am I weird? :)

Recycle Now

No Lady Muck, you are not weird. I have done it myself, but I do not enjoy it much. Because of the lack of on-board facilities for rubbish segregation, each sack contains a mixture of tin cans, (With sharp edges) plastic bottles, plastic and carboard containers, sweet wrappers, used tissue papers, sheets of used kitchen roll, the paper in which the fish and chips came in, food scraps, and something that the dog hoiked up in the middle of the night wrapped in newspaper. Sticking your hands into that lot is not nice.

I do manage to keep the bottles and newspapers (Handy if the dog hoiks up), seperate.

Early last year there used to be segregated rubbish skips at the bottom of Stoke Bruerne locks, however last time I was there al the "segregation" signs had gone and all the skips were full of boaters general rubbish.

In addition to rubbish, I also have to carry a container for bags of dog poo collected in public areas where there is no disposal facility. (In more rural areas, the doggies 'little air freshners' get shoveled into the hedgerow!)

Hi,

Thank's to everyone who has replied to this post, and to the many contributions both here and by e-mail; the list should be on line next week-end and as with the 'Launderette List' it will be available to download in 'PDF' and 'Word' format.

Someone here mentioned that there was already a list available; I looked at this site and it does not appear to have been updated recently; I will contact the owner of the web site as I do not want to step on anyones toes. But thanks to the good people of this forum I now have more than double the amount of centres than are listed on that site.

Thank's again to everyone who has contributed, but if you want your name to be added to the list of contributers please add your name or e-mail me at ken@ukcanals dot net. Replace the dot with a .

We offer recycling of plastic, glass, paper, cardboard, aluminium cans adjacent to lock 13 (bottom of Buckby Locks, by Whilton Marina)

It's our little bit to avoid the canals being used as landfill! (maybe I shouldn't write this - it might give our government ideas!!!)

Wakefield - Calder and Hebble Denby Dale Road Bridge. There is a Household Waste Recycling Centre canal side.This has all disposal facilities. It does not nor will ever be possible to have moorings with direct access to it because of Health and Safety issues - it is a very confined multi functional site operated at present by Wakefield MDC.