Cratch cover fabric/material for a soon-to-be cratch cover newbie

Featured Posts

So finally, after nearly nine years of owning the boat, I've taken the plunge and arranged to have a framed scratch cover made and fitted by AJ Canopies of Braunston. Measuring is due to take place at the end of May, fitting mid-June.

I suspect I will probably like the look of the front of the boat less after it is covered over. However, I'm fed up with being frequently unable to use my well deck due to rain, wind, cold etc. It's of a good size and makes up a significant proportion of the length of my 45 foot boat so I want to start using it in all weathers. 

My dilemma is what type of material to go for.

I've read through numerous threads discussing canvas and PVC. I've also read through this article on AJ's website https://ajcanopies.co.uk/what-is-the-best-material-for-a-boat-canopy/ and I still can't make my mind up. They discuss three materials, all of which I assume must be available from them. These are canvas, vinyl and polyester. I'm not sure which of these, if any, is the same as the oft-mentioned (on the forums) PVC.

I'm wondering if polyester is the one to go for as AJ seem to suggest it is a good compromise between the other two. On the other hand, maybe it's the worst of both worlds?

I want something that doesn't require too much maintenance but will also last a long time before it seriously degrades.

All opinions welcome, especially from anyone who has had experience of the pros and cons of more than one type of material.

Thanks in advance.

Canvas soon looks aged and if in trees it grows moss and goes green.

PVC is durable and easy to care for. After many years of sun it can go stiff and then easily cracked.

Polyester  I know nothing about but it must have some drawbacks.

The boat spends most of its time in a marina, plenty of sunshine, no tree shading. When we're out we try to moor in the open for the solar so again sun, not shade/trees.

I suspect this means the effect of UV light will be more important than the effect of mould/algae inducing trees/shade.

But it's all new to me so advice appreciated.

I had a new cover put on two winters ago. 
I opted for PVC very easy to clean and keep looking tidy. 

Like you OP, I like to maximise my space My boat’s only 48’. 
It’s very comfortable to sit out front through the winter with the cabin door open and the stove lit. Plus it’s a decent space to sit with friends. 

A key thing to ask about is the attachments. 
Will they be press studs, bungees or them turn key type things?

It didn’t take long to crush and knock my pressstuds on the gunnel.  

If you’re having windows then also have drop down covers on the outside for privacy and it offers a little security if opportunists can’t see what’s on offer to steal. 

Before they come to measure do some sketches of how you think you want it look. Where you want the zips and windows etc. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

We have an AJ Canopies cratch cover made in canvas, it has been repaired by them a couple of times and is at least 11 years old as it was on the boat when we bought it.  It does require annual cleaning as even though we have an open berth in the marina the winter still ends up leaving the shaded side green.  Generally it either gets taken home and pressure washed or scrubbed in situ.  Then treated with colour restorer and water proofer.

31 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I had a new cover put on two winters ago. 
I opted for PVC very easy to clean and keep looking tidy. 

Like you OP, I like to maximise my space My boat’s only 48’. 
It’s very comfortable to sit out front through the winter with the cabin door open and the stove lit. Plus it’s a decent space to sit with friends. 

A key thing to ask about is the attachments. 
Will they be press studs, bungees or them turn key type things?

It didn’t take long to crush and knock my pressstuds on the gunnel.  

If you’re having windows then also have drop down covers on the outside for privacy and it offers a little security if opportunists can’t see what’s on offer to steal. 

Before they come to measure do some sketches of how you think you want it look. Where you want the zips and windows etc. 

I'm definitely going for 3 window covers, £70 a pop but I expect I'd regret not getting them.

• Greenie 1

I’d also consider weathermax 80. I have a tonneau made of it 5 years old. It has kept its shape perfectly and waterproofness but the big advantage is that you can fold into quite a small package and store it below without it taking up much room if you fancy going “naked” again during the good weather. I store mine for 2 months when we cruise.

its a relatively new product but excellent quality in a range of colours. To clean it’s easy to soak in a large bucket of canvas cleaner for 24 hours.

My options are limited to whatever AJ offer. I assume it's the 3 types mentioned in their blog article, no more, no less. Haven't checked though. I'm also swaying towards dark green rather than black as that's the colour of the front of the boat and also outside the coach lines and up and over the handrail section.

I prefer the look of canvas but I’ll stick with the PVC for ease of cleaning. 

damp cloth is all you need, I use some anti bacterial spray too on the inside. 
Trading I have to show some awareness to hygiene and the PVC is so very easy and quick to keep in good clean order. 

Out of interest what do the working boats use these days?

oh the other advantage with PVC is it generally comes with a lighht/white reverse side making the inside space much lighter 

When they come to measure they ought to bring some samples for you to look at. 

all going to be expensive but you’ll have a lovely new space, so well worth it. 

I spend a lot of time in my cratch including during the winter. Whilst PVC is easy to clean I was told that condensation could be an issue with the underside dripping on you. I opted for a Polyester based fabric which seems to be a combination of the two in that it is predominantly canvas, it looks and feels like canvas, but has an element of synthetic material in it. 

I've had it for 18 months (made and fitted by the excellent Kinver Canopies) and although it's reletavely early days I've been very happy with it so far. I've also found that cleaning it is much easier than with my previous purely canvas cratch cover.

21 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I spend a lot of time in my cratch including during the winter. Whilst PVC is easy to clean I was told that condensation could be an issue with the underside dripping on you. I opted for a Polyester based fabric which seems to be a combination of the two in that it is predominantly canvas, it looks and feels like canvas, but has an element of synthetic material in it. 

I've had it for 18 months (made and fitted by the excellent Kinver Canopies) and although it's reletavely early days I've been very happy with it so far. I've also found that cleaning it is much easier than with my previous purely canvas cratch cover.

that’s a good point with the condensation. 

it has been heavy with condensation but only on some of those bright sunny winter mornings,

fortunately the drips tend to run down the angled sides and off the gunnel. 
A quick wipe around with a cloth sorts it til next morning 😃

I have quite a broad and perhaps 6’ long piece of ply as a ‘ceiling’ which has its own condensation issues since I painted it,

but yes, condensation is something to consider with the PVC

So I'm in Braunston at the moment and I've just been in to see Kathy at AJ Canopies. She loaned me a samples card showing the material and all the available colours.

She told me that 95% of their customers have Sauleda acrylic canvas from Kayospruce Ltd, more specifically, "Acrylic Canvas: PU Coated". The price I was quoted is for that material.

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

My options are limited to whatever AJ offer. I assume it's the 3 types mentioned in their blog article, no more, no less. Haven't checked though. I'm also swaying towards dark green rather than black as that's the colour of the front of the boat and also outside the coach lines and up and over the handrail section.

Agreed, black looks very smart of course, but I think it may fade and weather a bit more obviously. Green should still look fine for longer.

Have a look at other boats for fabric choice, I like the canvas,  anything that looks a bit shiny weathers unevenly.  

The fitter should advise, but best to keep it free of grease and  grime with a soft brush and maybe wash up liquid every so often then a quick reproof.

Edited by LadyG

The cratch cover on my boat was originally polyester with a PVC lining. After 15 years it had shrunk so much it no longer reached the gunwales.

I had Kinver Canopies replace it with a canvas cover, which hopefully will last at least as long as the original Wilsons cover, but without the shrinkage.

19 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

She told me that 95% of their customers have Sauleda acrylic canvas from Kayospruce Ltd, more specifically, "Acrylic Canvas: PU Coated". The price I was quoted is for that material.

I'm pretty sure that's what I have. Admittedly I've only had it for 18 months but so far I've been very pleased with it.