Advice on Widebeam

TheFrog

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone.

I'm desperately in need of accommodation, and decided that for my needs a moored widebeam is the way forward.

The only thing I really know about widebeams from reading on here, is Collingwood boats aren't particularly respected.
I was looking at this boat, but the builder's website doesn't reveal too much and I can't find much else about them - would much appreciate any thoughts on this boat.
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/bluewater-boats-65-widebeam-for-sale/760193

Many thanks

Looks very attractive, from the engine usage it seems to have moved around rather than being sat in a marina.

I'd get in the car and go and have a look, looks to me like "first to view will buy" as estate agents used to say.

I dont like Vetus engines, other than that it looks good.

Have you got a mooring yet.?

I would not like to c9ntinuos cruise London in this "beast"

Edited by LadyG

32 minutes ago, TheFrog said:

Thanks, well spotted - I hadn't noticed that 3,000 hours, that is a lot.

No it is not, not in terms of diesels that actually work, maybe it is for one that spent a lot of that time running not far off idle for battery charging.

Vetus engines tend to be Mitsubishi based and there is not much wrong with them, Any problems seem to be with the odd thing with the mairnisation and, more importantly, the idea Vetus seems to hold about what is value for money spares wise, but many spares do not have to be sourced from Vetus.

Thats a big boat so a mooring would make life a lot easier.

Engine hours no problem but a much bigger water tank would have been nice.

Don't be taken in by the "top end fit out by master craftsmen", this is pretty standard speak in most widebeam adverts.

Price looks quite good, but such a big boat could be a liability which might make it harder to sell.

The big issue is that buying the boat is the easy bit, finding a mooring might be much harder than just popping down to Brentford and finding one, you might get lucky, or might end up spending years on a waiting list. There are loads of people doing the same as you and only a finite supply of moorings.

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I wonder what the cost of a widebeam mooring at Brentford is -- any guesstimates, anyone?

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I wonder what the cost of a widebeam mooring at Brentford is -- any guesstimates, anyone?

image.png.994a5afb4fcaa8e8c6f672ece24986bf.png

25 minutes ago, TheFrog said:

So that works out on say a 20m boat around £5.5k p/a?

That's not the (residential) londonmooring site which was quoted though -- and it's leisure-only not residential (not even under-the-sheets...)

"Please be advised that these are leisure moorings and that you are entitled to stay on your boat for not more than four nights in any 7 day period."

The cost difference between the two is likely to be rather large...

Edited by IanD

And the harbour-master is very hot on the staying aboard stuff - the marina is surrounded by flats and they don't want it to become residential by stealth.

Also you will only get a boat >30' in there when the lock is on free-flow at high spring tides, which rather restricts access.

My advice is to get the mooring sorted before you buy the boat. Tidal moorings on the Thames are often uncomfortable and many dry out at low tide. Easy to buy a boat almost impossible to get a decent residential mooring in London at reasonable cost. Nothing more stressful than having a large expensive tin box and nowhere to put it safely.

• Greenie 2

Why don’t people just be honest, @TheFrog where are going to moor your £140K massive widebeam?

Are you just going to sail around London?

Have you any experience apart from watching “YouTube” London boaters?

How old are you? 
 Don’t get carried away with London boaters, most are kids living off the bank of Mum&Dad and are clueless, prime Youtube example @https://www.instagram.com/twocrewandcockapoo?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Oh! Banished, Reality isn’t Instagram or YouTube, but question the kids and your removed, just like most Social Media dreamers😂😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

What an odd comment. I’m looking to moor as close to Central London as possible as I need a place to stay when working in London. 
Not sure why you imagine anyone would be dishonest about that??

57 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

My advice is to get the mooring sorted before you buy the boat. Tidal moorings on the Thames are often uncomfortable and many dry out at low tide. Easy to buy a boat almost impossible to get a decent residential mooring in London at reasonable cost. Nothing more stressful than having a large expensive tin box and nowhere to put it safely.

Thanks Mike for the advice regarding the tidal Moorings.
Now having spoken to a few people today and browsing further on here, can see mooring first, boat thereafter!

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, TheFrog said:

What an odd comment. I’m looking to moor as close to Central London as possible as I need a place to stay when working in London. 

So maybe only being on board 4 nights a week would suit you

5 hours ago, IanD said:

"Please be advised that these are leisure moorings and that you are entitled to stay on your boat for not more than four nights in any 7 day period."

That could work for someone who lives  elsewhere but works in London  5 days a week and just wants somewhere to sleep.

eg Travels to London Monday morning and works then stays overnight Monday to Thursday leaving after work Friday to return to their out of town home.

10 hours ago, TheFrog said:

Not sure why you imagine anyone would be dishonest about that?

I’m on about people asking honest questions, so here they are again:

where are going to moor your £140K massive widebeam?

Are you just going to sail around London?

Have you any experience apart from watching “YouTube” London boaters?

So you’ll be moving the boat after work and weekends? To comply with Continuous Cruising.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

10 hours ago, TheFrog said:

Because there are far more people wanting to do the same as you than there are affordable moorings close to Central London.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

from the engine usage it seems to have moved around rather than being sat in a marina.

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

maybe it is for one that spent a lot of that time running not far off idle for battery charging.

3000 hours is fine as long as the engine has been serviced at the appropriate intervals. I'd want to see some evidence. 

Edited by blackrose

This is the only residential mooring listed on watersidemoorings, big enough to accommodate that boat (or a much bigger boat) in the London area.

https://www.watersidemooring.com/320-blackwall-basin-l1/Vacancies#berth7231

And that has a current auction price of £31,299.22 per annum!

Or a slightly too short widebeam residential mooring at £10,700:

https://www.watersidemooring.com/367-atlip-road-l1/Vacancies#berth7680

If you restrict yourself to a narrow boat you get a bit more choice.

Edited by David Mack
  • Horror 1

20 hours ago, TheFrog said:

I'm desperately in need of accommodation, and decided that for my needs a moored widebeam is the way forward.

Don't let your desperation allow you to spend up to £150K without getting the boat surveyed.

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, IanD said:

I used to live & moor my widebeam on the long-term moorings in the basin above the gauging lock. Not all of the moorings at Brentford are tidal. That was 15 years ago and I used to pay £4K which was the same as a narrowboat as it was on one of the outside pontoons. I imagine it's at least double that cost now - if one was available which is doubtful.

Edited by blackrose