Morso stove issue

Featured Posts

Smoke has started to sleep out of the secondary damper at the rear of the stove for no apparent reason when the ash pan door is open. It's in the closed position and rarely used. Has a seal gone inside or.....??

If you mean the flap at the back (top left looking from the rear), I'm sure ours hasn't got a seal.It's just a round disk operated by a lever that covers/uncovers the hole in the rear of the stove and provides an airwash system for the glass. Are you sure your baffle plate/backboiler, flue and glass are clean?

ETA. I spose its possible you have a hole/crack in the ducting (air conductor) that feeds the air to the glass that is venting smoke.

441448002.jpg

morso-squirrel-cleanheat-multifuel-stove-page-gallery.gif

Edited by rusty69
Edited to attach some pics.

Is you flue partially blocked? Crud can easily and quickly build up on the flat throat plate for instance. I suggest let fire go out and remove it for a proper look. Blockages force smoke and fumes out anywhere possible.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I never keep the baffle plate in place. It's fine for a house with a proper chimbley, but a trap for debris and gunk in a boat, as well as cutting the draw which is never enough on a boat anyway.

I’ll try taking mine out and see,

Im convinced it draws better with the baffle,

but willing to try,

does it still keep the glass clean(ish)?

I think the draft being drawn up in front of the glass is supposed to help keep it clean 🤷‍♀️

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

441448002.jpg

Baffling. 

I'm certain my ol' Squirrel didn't have anything like that inside when it fell to bits. 

Edited by MtB

6 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’ll try taking mine out and see,

Im convinced it draws better with the baffle,

but willing to try,

does it still keep the glass clean(ish)?

I think the draft being drawn up in front of the glass is supposed to help keep it clean 🤷‍♀️

Its not the baffle on the upper door over the air inlet but the baffle under the flue in the top of the combustion chamber that needs to be removed.

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its not the baffle on the upper door over the air inlet but the baffle under the flue in the top of the combustion chamber that needs to be removed.

Yea I understand which baffle he’s on about,

but with what you’ve said then Ive misunderstood how draft keeps the  glass clean. 

I thought it was a combination of the two baffles working together 

The baffle on the door is supposed to keep the glass cleaner because it causes a down flow of cold air on the inside of the glass deflecting the smoke away from the glass surface. It only works to any extent if the top door vent is substantially open.

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The baffle on the door is supposed to keep the glass cleaner because it causes a down flow of cold air on the inside of the glass deflecting the smoke away from the glass surface. It only works to any extent if the top door vent is substantially open.

Right ok,

my vent is seized open,

my problem is going to be replacing the fire brick inside,

but that’s a question for another day.