Narrowboat stove flue, coming out of sidewall.

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which implies the world would be a cleaner and lovelier place if we cut down all the trees and burnt them, rainforests and all. But I'm still unconvinced...

If we cut down all the trees and burn them maybe this will accelerate global warming and one day the requirement to heat oneself will be history. 

They do have a habit of growing back. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

If we cut down all the trees and burn them maybe this will accelerate global warming and one day the requirement to heat oneself will be history. 

They do have a habit of growing back. 

do you think Robin Hood would have stopped chopping down his neighbours’ trees to heat his own tree if the council had given him a grant for heat pump?

10 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

do you think Robin Hood would have stopped chopping down his neighbours’ trees to heat his own tree if the council had given him a grant for heat pump?

No. 

Heat pumps are a terrible scam.

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

No. 

Yes, of course he’d have known that of course, I obviously underestimate him,

also thinking about it he’d have revealed his location to the filth by being the only one with a big pump on the side of his tree

29 minutes ago, magnetman said:

No. 

On a radio phone-in last year, someone was complaining that, after having upgraded her insulation, putting in double glazing, and replacing  her gas boiler by a heat pump, she had been rewarded by her house being awarded a lower energy rating than it had had with the gas boiler. This was because the star rating reflects running costs and the cost of the electricity required to run the heat pump was greater than the cost had been to run the gas boiler.

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

This was because the star rating reflects running costs and the cost of the electricity required to run the heat pump was greater than the cost had been to run the gas boiler.

Star rating? 

Mine get "Letter" ratings i.e. A, B, C etc. But mebbe this still reflects running costs.

Nobody cares, they still want the house they want. Nobody ever rejected a cute country cottage because it was rated D and they wanted one rated C or better. The house you want is rated at whatever it is, take it or leave it. Most take it. 

The whole thing is a money-wasting job creation scheme dreamed up by that idiot Prescott. 

On 13/03/2024 at 11:32, 19Granny66 said:

I'm just looking for honest opinions.

My first thought when I saw the pictures was 'Which nob designed that, and which nob built it...'

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The whole thing is a money-wasting job creation scheme dreamed up by that idiot Prescott.

The most honest sentence I've read in a long time, well said!!!

On 13/03/2024 at 19:01, magnetman said:

All life that has ever existed on earth is and was solar powered.

Until relatively recently this was the general consensus, but hydrothermal vents were discovered thousands of meters under the sea supporting complete eco systems cut-off from everything else.  TBH the organisms that live there are often referred to as extremophiles due to the environment they thrive in previously though unable to support life....

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

the cost of the electricity required to run the heat pump was greater than the cost had been to run the gas boiler.

A heat pump typically puts out about three times as much heat energy to the house as it takes from the electricity supply. But domestic electricity is about three times the cost of gas or heating oil per unit of energy, so the running costs of a heat pump central heating system are about the same as one powered by a conventional gas or oil fired boiler.

12 hours ago, MtB said:

Star rating? 

Mine get "Letter" ratings i.e. A, B, C etc. But mebbe this still reflects running costs.

Nobody cares, they still want the house they want. Nobody ever rejected a cute country cottage because it was rated D and they wanted one rated C or better. The house you want is rated at whatever it is, take it or leave it. Most take it. 

And the Council Tax band which is hard to change doesn't have to be displayed on websites like rightmove 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

You can check the Council Tax band of any property at https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

yes i know, but you shouldnt have to go through that process. Surely the estate agents details should have to show it like thay do the EPC. Just heard of a case where a person has got rid their gas boiler and got an air source heat pump. The house now has a worse EPC rating because it uses more electricity

28 minutes ago, Tonka said:

yes i know, but you shouldnt have to go through that process. Surely the estate agents details should have to show it like thay do the EPC. Just heard of a case where a person has got rid their gas boiler and got an air source heat pump. The house now has a worse EPC rating because it uses more electricity

But it *shouldn't* do if it uses correspondingly less gas, especially since all the gas is fossil fuel and getting on for half UK electricity now comes from renewable sources.

If the EPC doesn't take this into account, it's out-of-date and fundamentally flawed... 😞 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

If the EPC doesn't take this into account, it's out-of-date and fundamentally flawed... 😞 

I don't know if this is still the case, but when EPCs were first introduced I read an article by a chap who had renovated an ordinary brick Victorian house to incorporate energy conservation measures which went way beyond what Building Regulations require. He had fitted internal insulation to the solid brick walls, but it was all now covered up with new plaster lining. His complaint was that although all the work done was well documented with photographs etc. the standard EPC methodology couldn't take this into account, and his house was still assessed as if it had the heat loss of normal solid 9" brick walls, and hence the resulting EPC grade didn't reflect its actual energy use. 

He commented that if EPCs were supposed to encourage energy efficient housing then improvements like his should be recognised in the grading, otherwise the whole process was a waste of time.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

But it *shouldn't* do if it uses correspondingly less gas, especially since all the gas is fossil fuel and getting on for half UK electricity now comes from renewable sources.

May be the surveyor is out of date