Below gunwale wall angle.

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Every boat will be different 😱

All the same, I think it is quite common for a 2m wide baseplate to be used. Once a 20mm sacrificial lip is incorporated, the 6ft 10in (2080mm) width at the top rubbing strake means that 120mm is the difference in width of the sides down at the base. 

Thats 60mm per side, and lets say the height from baseplate to widest part of the hull is 700mm. A bit of basic maths reveals the angle of each side is approx 95 degrees. 

Every hull varies in dimensions, even same design by same builder, one day they might be built by robots and computers, millimetre identical, then they could be mass produced. Not before I die though I think. 

One upon a time I was chatting to a diy fitter who had a "fantastic" idea to cut all his bulkheads in one go, "save time" he said, fortunately for him  someone  pointed out  the variations in a hull, the look on his face was classic. 

31 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The angle also changes as you start to approach the bow, or stern. The only way to be sure is to cut each piece to fit the angle where it is going to go, using on-site measurements.

Thats ok though; the OP asked specifically for the average angle.....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

One upon a time I was chatting to a diy fitter who had a "fantastic" idea to cut all his bulkheads in one go, "save time" he said, fortunately for him  someone  pointed out  the variations in a hull, the look on his face was classic. 

I like standing next to bonfires on boatyards, and when the ripped out bulkheads are well alight I ask if the keen novice boat owner used them as templates for the new bulkheads.

I usually learn some new bad words about then ...

• Haha 2

On most modern narrowboats the widest part of the hull is at the top guard, the upper part tapers in a little from there to the gunwale and the lower part tapers down to a 2m wide baseplate. The internal lining may follow that shape, or more likely just run straight from under-gunwale to chine.

A few builders build 'Brumagem square' with vertical sides below the top guard down to a wider baseplate.

Most working boats were built with vertical sides between the upper and lower guards, but tapered in above and below to the gunwale and baseplate. Modern boats built as faithful replicas of working boats may do the same.

Only thing you can do is measure your boat.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would they be the ones built in the city where car hub-caps had a habit of disappearing ?  Corrected that for you.

Yep.  Depends which side they were thrown over on to weld up first.