New boat to me

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

So, I think it's a 1980 Pedro, the interior is very similar to the link above, it's down on CRT site as fiberglass but it's not it's all steel, I paid 14.5k for it which I think is a bargain I will measure the lenght beam instead of relying on CRT, all the rails on the boat are stainless so that might be a give away?

I have got lots done today and we have had a little outside cruise which was lovely, will report back with more information 

That sounds like a very good price; I bought a very similar thing at the end of last year (Linssen 32) which cost me double that and still needs a bit of attention!

The Linssen has stainless rails (which I like) my previous steel cruiser (a De Groot 36) had painted mild steel which was fine but didn't have quite the same feeling of quality about it (and did get abraded in locks...)

BTW also - a bit of gentle work with a brillo pad will make a hell of a difference to the paintwork!

• Greenie 1

On 25/02/2024 at 00:47, peterboat said:

So yesterday I bought a steel Dutch cruiser, its a boaty boat rather than a corridor 🤣 I currently have a widebeam but I have lusted after this boat for a few years, it has a Sole 44 diesel engine with 146 hours on it. The previous to last owners can only be described as the artful Bodger! He didn't fix anything correctly ever!!!! The list of bodges he did are endless, as I sort them I will list them, i have fixed the water leak on the front hatch already. I only have until the end of may to do it as that's when the BSS runs out, pictures for perusal 

IMG-20240217-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240217-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240217-WA0003.jpg

They seem to be a very sensible robust type of cruising  boaty boat. 

I am sure you will get it looking very nice, and operating reliably.

Enjoy.

Are you keeping the wide beam as your residence and using the new acquisition as your recreational boat?

3 minutes ago, DandV said:

They seem to be a very sensible robust type of cruising  boaty boat. 

I am sure you will get it looking very nice, and operating reliably.

Enjoy.

Are you keeping the wide beam as your residence and using the new acquisition as your recreational boat?

No I think the widebeam will be sold, we have a bungalow so its maybe time to downsize. We are going on a short holiday next month for my birthday, if we enjoy the holiday we will keep her, if not she will be tidied up and sold. I really like her it's a shape thing, I am sorting things out as quickly as possible to make her comfortable and reliable as possible 

45 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

That sounds like a very good price; I bought a very similar thing at the end of last year (Linssen 32) which cost me double that and still needs a bit of attention!

The Linssen has stainless rails (which I like) my previous steel cruiser (a De Groot 36) had painted mild steel which was fine but didn't have quite the same feeling of quality about it (and did get abraded in locks...)

BTW also - a bit of gentle work with a brillo pad will make a hell of a difference to the paintwork!

I am going to give her a power wash first, then see what she looks like before I plan anything else. 

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Inded they did - I searched 70's and 80's models but no 34 x 10.

The one you linked to is 32'.

Maybe Peter is going by the sellers 'documents' rather than a tape measure.

License details say 34'5" 

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Correct with luck I will licence it today for next month, she is currently on a trade plate, I will move the trade plate onto Joyce and cancel the license on her. I am very taken with Dutch Lady when sold in York to the Artful Bodger she changed hands for 30K! Looking at the pictures she was in nice condition though, it shows that if boats don't get looked after they devalue quickly. I tried her out yesterday and the electric raw water pump is useless except at tick over, hopefully the proper pump will be here this week to sort it all out

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

That is exactly my point - the model you posted the link to is a 32 foot x 10'10" boat.

Peter says his is 34' x 10' and the licence details (how much can they be trusted) says 34' 5" so it cannot be as per your link.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I thought that you could get home made De Groots as it is a design of boat. Or am I wrong ?

They sold steel plate as kits to be welded up by you or your boat-builder, and plenty of sailaway type shells for home fitting (which is why some of them can be a bit... B and Q...). Mine was fitted by a narrow-boat company (fitter? builder? Hurst boats) so was nicely spray-foamed and fitted. The Linssen is definitely more yot though.

• Greenie 2

So my raw water pump should arrive this week,  I have found enough details about my boat to say it's a Altena 1050 family cruiser. Not sure if it will have a Hull Identification number as they wernt required until 88 I believe? I have a automatic bilge pump coming as the artful Bodger removed the bilge pump! I will need to acquire some steel ballast to replace bulky concrete ballast. I want to remove the fixed seating in the bow to make it a more comfortable place. We will see how it all goes. I also have 900 watts of flexible solar which I will fit to the roof of the boat after making good the surface. I also am going to fit a backboiler wood burning stove to the saloon to heat water and radiators rather than the Webasto air top which I have fixed. I am gradually removing all the bodges which really spoiled a nice boat. 

• Greenie 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

How's the new boat coming along?

Most of the bodges removed, I had a week off in the campervan last week so slowed down a bit. Both helms now work, instruments are all working as well. Split charging in and working, the old system removed and 3 x 300 amp on off switches installed one for the bow thruster which wasn't fused either! The rudder indicator installed but faulty, waiting for a reply from the seller. The raw water pump works great so does the Webasto. Water leaks sorted as well, we are going to try it out this weekend weather permitting 

• Greenie 3

• 4 weeks later...

We tried out the boat last weekend,  it worked well but was uncomfortable with the fixed seating. Also the bathroom doesn't have a shower and is very dated. So yesterday I removed the bathroom and part of a wall to make it 1300mm square, I will install a shower tray but make the whole floor waterproof. The sea toilet is removed and will be planted over. Some wiring needs sorting in there as it's to thin. I am removing a small porthole and fitting a 12 volts extractor fan. Also some more insulation will be installed as its 1 inch polystyrene currently! The walls will be wall board the plastic stuff, its 2 layers so provides some insulation. The toilet will be a composting one again as mine has been extremely successful in the big boat. She also passed BSS on Wednesday and will be getting pulled out on Thursday next week for hull painting etc and survey. I also bought 3 x 410 watt solar panels from City plumbing 60 squids each, so the windscreen will be removed and they will be fitted on the wheelhouse roof after its painted of course. I have also opened up the water tank to check it out, its actually in good condition. I have ordered paint and will be sorting it out this week. The boat also is due out on Thursday for hull painting and a survey so things are moving on.

I think this brings us up to date? I have a video of us cruising but cant post it which is a shame 

• Greenie 3

I hope it is worth it, I have also the extend the rudder, its designed for low drag speed not 4 mph canals, going on a straight line can be difficult! However at flat out speeds its straight as a die

26 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I hope it is worth it, I have also the extend the rudder, its designed for low drag speed not 4 mph canals, going on a straight line can be difficult! However at flat out speeds its straight as a die

You could always fit a Schilling rudder... 😉 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was waiting for that

It was an open goal... 😉 

For an unbiased comment about how well it works (or doesn't...), maybe @Up-Side-Down could comment -- he spent a couple of days on Rallentando with us last week when we were moving between marinas.

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

It was an open goal... 😉 

For an unbiased comment about how well it works (or doesn't...), maybe @Up-Side-Down could comment -- he spent a couple of days on Rallentando with us last week when we were moving between marinas.

The boat turns on a sixpence ... sorry 5p coin‼️

10 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

The boat turns on a sixpence ... sorry 5p coin‼️

See what I did there⁉️(without even realising it)

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

You could always fit a Schilling rudder... 😉 

I wonder what one would cost as a retro fit. I did consider it a few years back when Dan was talking about them, to late for me now, I will just go with what I have. Its hard enough getting someone to do a decent job of changing the bottom cup bearing

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what one would cost as a retro fit. I did consider it a few years back when Dan was talking about them, to late for me now, I will just go with what I have. Its hard enough getting someone to do a decent job of changing the bottom cup bearing

IIRC mine (made by Tim Tyler) cost about £1000 including VAT, but this was instead of a flat plate so presumably a replacement would cost more. Or maybe less, depending who the welder is... 😉 

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, a 5p is considerably bigger than a 6d coin

Are you sure?  The old 5 new pence was obviously larger,  but the new 5 pence is smaller diameter.

18mm (new 5p) vs 19.4mm (6d) if it matters.

The old 5p was 23.59mm or about the size of a shilling ;)

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you sure?  The old 5 new pence was obviously larger,  but the new 5 pence is smaller diameter.

Maybe that's where the name came from then... 😉 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I sit corrected.

You are absolutley correct - the size did change.

The material also changed from Cupro-Nickel to Steel (the same as the 1p and 2p coins)

So it is fair to say the boat turns well !