Advice please :-)

DGP

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am a very newbie to boating. I'm looking for some advice, please and apologies in advance for any incorrect terminology:

I'm trying to plan a narrowboat / canal midweek (three or four nights) trip in spring / early summer 2024 for a mate of mine, me and my dog. I've looked at lots of rental company websites, all of which look great, but I'm looking for some independent advice rather than these sites' insights to their own view of "best short trip with locks, nice countryside and pubs", which is inevitably based on areas close to their bases. Faced with lots of great info, I'm finding it difficult to choose, and maybe this request will help or make the choice more difficult, but here goes...

What am I loooking for is tricky to define given this will be a first trip for all of us (including the dog), but in my mind the boat will be straightforward to use (probably a narrowboat with 4 berths so my dog and I have a "separate" space near an access hatch) and the canals not too tricky to navigate, but with enough locks, countryisde, pubs and other canal users (maybe not too many) to make it a successful, relaxing, "bucket trip" type holiday / taster. There would also need to be fairly ready access to dog walking places - the dog is a spaniel and probably needs to stretch his legs a bit more than a jog along a tow path.

In terms of travel to and from the rental location we live in the M3 / M4 area to the west of London. Travel anywhere in UK would be ok in principle and we'd anticipated a shore-based stopover at the start or end of the 3/4 days on the canal to be able to fit in with boat rental start / end times.

Many thanks in anticipation,

David & Rolo (the dog)

Edited by DGP

I think that you would do a lot worse than the South Oxford Canal. College cruisers form Oxford or Oxfordshire narrowboats from Lower Heyford. A bit longer car journey and going south on that canal you have Calcutt Boats and Napton Narrowboats at/near to Napton/Southam.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you would do a lot worse than the South Oxford Canal. College cruisers form Oxford or Oxfordshire narrowboats from Lower Heyford. A bit longer car journey and going south on that canal you have Calcutt Boats and Napton Narrowboats at/near to Napton/Southam.

How is Calcutt & Napton south of Oxford or Lower Heyford

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

How is Calcutt & Napton south of Oxford or Lower Heyford

That’s not what was said.

The point was that if you hire from Calcutt or Napton you are “going south on that canal”. That canal in this case being the south Oxford.

For the OPs requirements I think the options given by Tony were very sound.

• Greenie 1

Look at Wyvern Shipping at Leoghton Buzzard.  Old established family  firm with really good boats and excellent in-person locking and boat handling tuition.

Routes go up into the Chilterns, or North through Milton Keynes,  which is really leafy, by canal,  to Stoke Bruerne, the Waterway Museum and, if you are feeling brave, Blisworth Tunnel. 

A good selection of  pubs either way.

N

Edited by BEngo
Schpeelinge
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Look at Wyvern Shipping at Leoghton Buzzard.  Old established family  firm with really good boats and excellent in-person locking and boat handling tuition.

Routes go up into the Chilterns, or North through Milton Keynes,  which is really leafy, by canal,  to Stoke Bruerne, the Waterway Museum and, if you are feeling brave, Blisworth Tunnel. 

A good selection of  pubs either way.

N

What he said. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DGP said:

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am a very newbie to boating. I'm looking for some advice, please and apologies in advance for any incorrect terminology:

I'm trying to plan a narrowboat / canal midweek (three or four nights) trip in spring / early summer 2024 for a mate of mine, me and my dog. I've looked at lots of rental company websites, all of which look great, but I'm looking for some independent advice rather than these sites' insights to their own view of "best short trip with locks, nice countryside and pubs", which is inevitably based on areas close to their bases. Faced with lots of great info, I'm finding it difficult to choose, and maybe this request will help or make the choice more difficult, but here goes...

What am I loooking for is tricky to define given this will be a first trip for all of us (including the dog), but in my mind the boat will be straightforward to use (probably a narrowboat with 4 berths so my dog and I have a "separate" space near an access hatch) and the canals not too tricky to navigate, but with enough locks, countryisde, pubs and other canal users (maybe not too many) to make it a successful, relaxing, "bucket trip" type holiday / taster. There would also need to be fairly ready access to dog walking places - the dog is a spaniel and probably needs to stretch his legs a bit more than a jog along a tow path.

In terms of travel to and from the rental location we live in the M3 / M4 area to the west of London. Travel anywhere in UK would be ok in principle and we'd anticipated a shore-based stopover at the start or end of the 3/4 days on the canal to be able to fit in with boat rental start / end times.

Many thanks in anticipation,

David & Rolo (the dog)

River Wey is very nice. Local which is helpful. Its a relaxing waterway not too busy with pubs, countryside, main town (Guildford), visitor attractions and a pleasant feel. 

A great holiday waterway for a short break. 

Have a look at these 

https://ontheweynarrowboathire.co.uk

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

River Wey is very nice. Local which is helpful. Its a relaxing waterway not too busy with pubs, countryside, main town (Guildford), visitor attractions and a pleasant feel. 

A great holiday waterway for a short break. 

Have a look at these 

https://ontheweynarrowboathire.co.uk

Another yard on the Wey is the "Farncombe Boat House" we have used their boats to explore the Wey and lower Thames.  Its certainly a pretty river.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure recommending wide/broad waterways for  new to boating customer looking for a narrowboat is the best of ideas.  I think the OP will find narrow locks easier for his first time.

So Wyvern have been suggested which is wide locks. You suggested Calcutt which is wide locks. But you say no the River Wey because of wide locks.

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

So Wyvern have been suggested which is wide locks. You suggested Calcutt which is wide locks. But you say no the River Wey because of wide locks.

As far as Calcutt in concerned, yes, just ONE wide lock where the yard staff assist those who need it up the wide lock, and then down again on return. In any case, I did not say no to anything. I just said that for a first time wide locks might not be such a good idea.

• Greenie 2

Another shout out for the South Oxford. A four day trip from Calcutt would include The Follie, Napton flight, Fenny Compton Cropredy and Banbury. According to Canalplan AC it's 45miles, 44 locks,  3 days, 4 hours and 45 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Then following that for a second holiday - 'The Rochdale' - beware of wolves!

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Another shout out for the South Oxford. A four day trip from Calcutt would include The Follie, Napton flight, Fenny Compton Cropredy and Banbury. According to Canalplan AC it's 45miles, 44 locks,  3 days, 4 hours and 45 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Then following that for a second holiday - 'The Rochdale' - beware of wolves!

And wide and sometimes horribly difficult locks, at least on the West side. Not good for a newbie, even though the summit and East sections are glorious... 😉

South Oxford -- great idea, easy narrow locks, lovely countryside, some nice towns/villages/pubs... 🙂

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

And wide and sometimes horribly difficult locks, at least on the West side. Not good for a newbie, even though the summit and East sections are glorious... 😉

Tch! you suvern softies  😆

Edited by Midnight
  • Haha 1