Duck Hatch & Pigeon Box seal

Featured Posts

I need some advice as I'm a newbie. My NB has two Duck Hatches and a Pigeon Box all three have external covers because, as I discovered they leak without the covers.

On further investigation I found that there is no seal between the frame and the movable section. 

Is this the norm?

Should I fit seals (adhesive backed type)

Any recommendation 🤔

Edited by Naartjie

31 minutes ago, Naartjie said:

I need some advice as I'm a newbie. My NB has two Duck Hatches and a Pigeon Box all three have external covers because, as I discovered they leak without the covers.

On further investigation I found that there is no seal between the frame and the movable section. 

Is this the norm?

Any recommendation 🤔

Yes, draught excluder tape works well.  Duck hatches are really side doors, unless you use them for egress then its duck or grouse when you bang your head.  Heard swan hatch  before but not duck.

• Happy 1

38 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Duck hatches are really side doors, unless you use them for egress then its duck or grouse when you bang your head.  Heard swan hatch  before but not duck.

Not a term I've come across, but in continuation of the bird theme they could perhaps be called nuthatch holes. 🤯

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naartjie said:

Is this the norm?

Any recommendation 🤔

Who built the boat. They should not need seals if built correctly and will not leak

13 hours ago, Tonka said:

Who built the boat. They should not need seals if built correctly and will not leak

Mine don't leak. But sure do let the wind in. You can see daylight thro them, helps keep the condensation down when the stoves on and it's nice and warm in the cabin. 😁

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

You have forgotten the coot flaps, never mind the duck hatch!

After reading @magnetman's post elsewhere I think I will give that one a miss. Even boat fitter and hull builders are calling them duck or swan hatches now so lots of new boaters think thats the correct name for them 

12 hours ago, MtB said:

I'm considering getting some kingfisher holes fitted, and some nightjar air vents. 

But nothing for them ring-necked parakeets. Noisy bustuds.

The great tits have returned to the country estate. I rather like great tits. I think a great tit hatch could be an idea. 

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

After reading @magnetman's post elsewhere I think I will give that one a miss. Even boat fitter and hull builders are calling them duck or swan hatches now so lots of new boaters think thats the correct name for them 

🥱

Edited by Naartjie
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How can you call an engine room door a duck hatch

• Greenie 1