"It's a contact sport, isn't it."

David Mack

Featured Posts

That only makes sense if there was some weird combination of control logic that came up with "boat set to forward, plus water depth less than so many metres, plus there is an R in the month, plus the captain is not wearing his lucky red underpants = boat goes backwards very fast". 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That only makes sense if there was some weird combination of control logic that came up with "boat set to forward, plus water depth less than so many metres, plus there is an R in the month, plus the captain is not wearing his lucky red underpants = boat goes backwards very fast". 

You ol' cynic, you....

We nearly had a similar incident bringing  the 23 ton 129 year old  cutter Waitangi with about 25 people onboard, stern first into her berth in the centre of the Auckland waterfront late last year.

The  bronze gear leaver broke off at the hub when the skipper attempted to take it out of reverse just short of the dock.

We were heading fairly decisively, to ride up stern first up onto the pontoon,  and put our 43ft long boom through the front window of a well patronised upmarket waterfront restaurant.

I jumped into the cockpit to at least be able to switch the engine off, and warn the party of pre teen school children and their minders, that were below, but instead was handed the tiller, whilst the skipper used both hands on the hub, and successfully got it out of gear. Whew!

A turn around the pontoon finger bollard with the aft spring succesfully  took the way off, before anybody else really realised our close call.

• Greenie 1

I have to say I was disappointed by the Brxit vote result but consoled myself with the thought of all the Brexit benefits we were about to get. 

I'm still waiting for even one.

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I have to say I was disappointed by the Brxit vote result but consoled myself with the thought of all the Brexit benefits we were about to get. 

I'm still waiting for even one.

You'll legally be allowed to buy English wines in smaller bottles (pints) if anyone bothers producing any.

That's more of a maybe than a full one though ...

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll legally be allowed to buy English wines in smaller bottles (pints) if anyone bothers producing any.

That's more of a maybe than a full one though ...

English wine. Very amusing! 

I'm still waiting for the EU ruling we must pay road tax on our diesel to be cancelled. 

Remember that this thread is in General Boating and isn't in the Politics and Current Affairs section. If it turns into yet another Brexit thread, then it will be moved there. Plenty of more appropriate threads there to recycle the Brexit arguments. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Remember that this thread isn't in the Politics and Current Affairs section. If it turns into yet another Brexit thread, then it will be moved there. Plenty of more appropriate threads there to recycle the Brexit arguments. 

How about the brexit impact (or lack of) on boating?

;) 

I would of thought the fact that we are still allowed to use red diesel was enough.

Most of the press were against so wouldn't publish the positives.

People around the world are dieing for independence yet we were going the other way.

Bought a third hand narrowboat at 5 years old that had the gear lever around the wrong way. Got a bracket made so as to convert it pretty quick

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

How about the brexit impact (or lack of) on boating?

;) 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/74-political-current-affairs/. It's what it is there for; to keep the acrimonious politics stuff in one place. If you have a brexit impact on boating then elsewhere is fine. 

From the forum rules:

Posting any material deemed to have a primarily political theme not strictly related to inland waterways and/or boating is prohibited unless submitted within the designated Political & Current affairs forum