Morse c33 gear Cable

Merrill

Featured Posts

Hi all and thanks for allowing me to join.

I have a small problem with the gear selector on my Commador 2.2 engine

The travel of the cable is just a little short and if I get it to go forward it is a little short to do the reverse. same if I change it around, if it is adjusted to get reverse it is about a cm short for the forward gear selection. Very difficult to get to in a Colvic Watson 28.6. Has anyone any idea if is there is  a cable that would have a slightly longer reach?

Cheers in advance for any help

As you say travel I don't see overall cable length is the problem.

Make sure that the outer cable is clamped tight at both ends, if not that will lose you travel.

First of all look at the levers inside the control. There are often two holes for the cable in the gear lever and if the cable is fitted into the inner one them move it to the outside one. That may be all it needs.

If that does no reach then what gearbox do you have because you might be able to drill a hole in the gearbox closer to the selector shaft.

Ensure that whatever is in the ends of the inner cable is tight and unworn. The trunnions that are used in may control levers tend to wear through f not kept well lubricated. However, with wear of less than 6mm would have allowed it to snap. That is an old boat, so if the gears in the control box were not kept lubricated, then they may be suffering from excess wear. The control lever usually operates the throttle directly, but the gears via gears.

1 hour ago, Merrill said:

Has anyone any idea if is there is  a cable that would have a slightly longer reach?

Cheers in advance for any help

Not sure if understood you right but is your cable right at the end of the arm in your control box? This will give you max travel.

If so then next step would be to move your (ball/swivel joint down the gearbox selector arm to reduce the travel needed.

Hi thanks for the help. It is the inner cable that is not quite traveling far enough both ways about a cm to short one way and the other. As to the fitting the control at the helm has been serviced and no play, the cable is new never used and it is tight at the mounting points. Very hard to get to not an easy job. I have put a new cable (Morse fitting) clip-on mounting on the gearbox so that it is secure, just not going far enough, if I get it going forward it will not quite get reverse gear 

Can be surprisingly awkward to get the travel just right. If you have a Morse Teleflex or something similar then as others have said you need to get at the underneath of it. In my case I have to remove a panel in the loo down below, in your case it will doubtless be somewhere just as awkward. There is a cover on the side which will expose the workings of the thing and with a bit of head scratching and watching the workings as someone shifts the lever you will see alternative positions to fix the gear cable. Other single lever controls will be broadly similar. If that doesn't work then you will have to get at the gearbox lever end and possibly drill a hole in a lever or the clamp fixing or both to slightly alter the 'throw' of the thing.

Is this a new fault on a previously working gear lever or a new to you boat?  How did it start to go wrong? 

Its not a longer cable that you want but more travel or less slop in the mechanism, same thing really.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 hour ago, Merrill said:

As to the fitting the control at the helm has been serviced and no play, the cable is new never used and it is tight at the mounting points.

Assuming that the new cable is a similar length to the old one everything points to faulty re-assembley following it's 'service'  

The two arms in the image each have two holes; using the outer holes will give longer cable travel than the inner holes. Yours will probably have a similar arrangement. You can sometimes get away with drilling new outer holes (or extending the arm) to compensate for excess wear, but the controller will likely be well past its best by then.

IMG_0071.jpeg

Edited by Eeyore

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

Assuming that the new cable is a similar length to the old one everything points to faulty re-assembley following it's 'service'  

It does sound like the ends are in the wrong holes at one end or the other.

• 5 weeks later...

Or the cable might be the right length overall, but the inner is too short in relation to the outer.

Have you still got the original cable? Try comparing it to the new one.

11 hours ago, manxmike said:

Or the cable might be the right length overall, but the inner is too short in relation to the outer.

Have you still got the original cable? Try comparing it to the new one.

Whilst not totally impossible from a manufacturing fault, I think that is extremely unlikely. Unless things have changed or the new cable is some fake thing - so not Morse or Teleflex - they come as sealed units and can not be altered.