1895 Thames Houseboat

mark99

Featured Posts

A lovely picture very much of it's time. 

Even as a houseboat I bet that thing was a beggar in any level of wind - and as it's not against the bank one must assume it moved a little, given those whites the two people clearly didn't swim aboard. 

And who goes on any boat dressed entirely in white? I think it was quite a fashion, but they would quickly look disheveled and the laundry bill must have been impressive.

59 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But who photographed the photographer ?

I was wondering if the camera was on that tripod and pointing at a large mirror set up on the bank.

I'd also take a punt on the boat being moved around with a pole. 

Looks like an early version of "The Love Shack" that used to be in Hambledon Marina. Believe LS was renamed Gypsy Willow a few years ago.

Having had a quick Google "Gypsy Willow" was indeed inspired by Henry Taunts boat.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was wondering if the camera was on that tripod and pointing at a large mirror set up on the bank.

I'd also take a punt on the boat being moved around with a pole. 

The wiki entry is  interesting and gives a clue to the picture- many of his pictures were lost as the new owner stripped the image off and used the glass for a greenhouse. In 1894 after bankruptcy he continued to explore the Thames but in a comfortable houseboat. The particular entry is   

Taunt had several staff. In 1885 he engaged a boy, Randolph Adams, who rose to be Taunt's assistant and became an expert photographer 

It would seem likely that the picture was taken by Randolph Adams from the bank? 

The houseboat Love Shack is still at Hambleden. The steelwork was done by RW Davis. Its got a special hull shape for stability in windy weather and a great big diesel inboard. Drives lovely but won't go above Oxford. 

Very nice article that is. All one level and the floors are thick wooden planks. 

A scaled down version more like Mr Taunt's Boat has been my dream residence all my life. One level all the way through is the way to go. 

Hambleden houseboat (image stolen from the www)

IMG_20231228_094515.jpg.f0912b012a06cdbd62f3e4ff1ca9c991.jpg

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Two books spring to mind; 'Three Men in a Boat', and 'A Caravan Afloat' by C. J. Aubertin.

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/2nd-september-1916/21/a-caravan-afloat-by-c-j-aubertin-sinapkin-marshall

I have that book, enjoyable reading especially about Harecastle tunnel

22 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

A lovely picture very much of it's time. 

Even as a houseboat I bet that thing was a beggar in any level of wind - and as it's not against the bank one must assume it moved a little, given those whites the two people clearly didn't swim aboard. 

And who goes on any boat dressed entirely in white? I think it was quite a fashion, but they would quickly look disheveled and the laundry bill must have been impressive.

I think the ladies top is coloured. Pink was popular back in the day apparently. 

When I see scenes like this I am more and more convinced there is an anomaly where I was born 100 yars too late. 

Looking at the sign the white background is slightly lighter. I would say the houseboat itself may be painted a very light green. 

Colour was popular on the River as is evidenced by the Boating blazers so often seen in old photos. 

These two are clearly of a certain class and immune to the rather garish appearance the masses.