"I hate these things", he said.

Willonaboat

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

I don't think canal rage is what's being discussed here, unless you mean the kind of behaviour shown by a possibly deranged narrowboater towards a wideboat in the video posted earlier.

The OP which describes a form of canal rage also .

50 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

22' beam will easily fit in the lock at Eastbourne marina. 24' beam is OK too 😉

It does - my Sister & BIL have a couple of apartments in Eastbourne Marina and we have stayed in the Marina on a couple of occasions when transiting to and from Plymouth.

Its not the entrance that is the problem it is the moorings - we can only fit in on the hammerheads (ends of pontoons) Its the same at most marinas, they can only fit us in if they have two side-by-side berths empty.

15 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Is that the waterways equivalent of https://yplac.co.uk/?

Yup. Full of photos of badly moored/obstructive boats, both narrow and wide. Doesn't accomplish anything except raising blood pressure, since the culprits won't see the posts...

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Yup. Full of photos of badly moored/obstructive boats, both narrow and wide. Doesn't accomplish anything except raising blood pressure, since the culprits won't see the posts...

At Least with Yplac it's possible for the offenders to view their transgressions. It's pointless if they can't.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It does - my Sister & BIL have a couple of apartments in Eastbourne Marina and we have stayed in the Marina on a couple of occasions when transiting to and from Plymouth.

Its not the entrance that is the problem it is the moorings - we can only fit in on the hammerheads (ends of pontoons) Its the same at most marinas, they can only fit us in if they have two side-by-side berths empty.

Same here. We moored either in front of the lifeboat or on the hammerhead opposite on the two occasions we've been there on a 46 x 24.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

because boating is so slow and monotonous with not a lot happening the smallest altercation get’s recorded in memory for years

Sounds like you need to do an offshore sailing passage when the weather forecast turns out completely wrong. They say there are only two stages of seasickness. 1) when you think you're going to die and 2) when you think you're never going to die. You'll look forward to "slow and monotonous" boating after that.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I did look once but didn't stay, there are several equivalents for road transport (had to watch the wording there)

I'm afraid to look in case I see my boat moored up somewhere.

1 hour ago, Willonaboat said:

Sounds like you need to do an offshore sailing passage when the weather forecast turns out completely wrong. They say there are only two stages of seasickness. 1) when you think you're going to die and 2) when you think you're never going to die. You'll look forward to "slow and monotonous" boating after that.

got me t shirt on that one,

point being little happens on the canals,

someone need only shout “Boo!” and it becomes a shocking tale to tell for decades,

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My 'other boat' is 38 feet long and 60+ feet air draft - it is also 22 foot beam which makes it awkward to use on the canals - it won't quite fit thru any of the locks (but it is fine on the 'big rivers')

It'd be fine on the ship canals ... 

22 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

got me t shirt on that one,

point being little happens on the canals,

someone need only shout “Boo!” and it becomes a shocking tale to tell for decades,

When I first went on the Oxford canal I remember seeing wanted posters for outlaws. Man with feather in hat, known to have a narrow Boat, reward a thousand dollars. Artist impression picture. 

It was quite funny. 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

When I first went on the Oxford canal I remember seeing wanted posters for outlaws. Man with feather in hat, known to have a narrow Boat, reward a thousand dollars. Artist impression picture. 

It was quite funny. 

Are you sure it wasn't a picture of Mr Finch

53 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It was quite funny. 

Could have been anyone of a number of boaters?

IMG_0298.jpeg.3cfe0222864efb3c9462c4de3c6c9b6f.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Happy New year folks.

I find a pad of post its and a sharpie in the car and boat very useful. You can leave helpful messages on offenders windows, my favourite being;"People like you make me sick".

Cathartic way to release the inner seething rage, and probably saved countless lives. 

Apologies to anyone whose found such a sticker on their badly parked, or over ostentatious car, or boat I took a dislike to in recent years. But comfort can be taken that guns are not so easy to get as post it notes. 

• Greenie 2

One must be a bit careful about the word 'sick'. All the youth mention my Boats are sick when I pass. 

'Hey man that boat is so SICK'. Happens all the time. 

What they are in fact expressing is that they feel it is very satisfactory.