GOODBYE CRT........

The Grey Goose

Featured Posts

There may be a perception that peoplr who buy wide Boats to live on are doing it because it provides space similar to living in a flat or a small house. If the option did not exist they would not live on a Boat. 

Someone who in fact does not want to live on a Boat may potentially bring behaviours with them (running engine all the time for power and hot water for example) which are detrimental to the peace and quiet of waterways. 

This happens because they arrr trying to emulate the comforts of a house rather than understanding that a Boat is different and requires modified behaviour. 

I've had lots of Boats small and large and do not currently own any narrow Boats. 

I also never run a generator or engine to produce power on my off grid Boat. Its solar and solar alone. If less power is produced then you use less power. 

So. 

what is the motivation for living on a Boat? Is it financial? 

Would you still live on the Boat if you could easily afford not to? 

To add a bit more explanation about motivation. 

Lets say someone had a wide bean canal Boat which is worth £65k. Just for sake of argument to get rid of the poverty problem.

Why did they choose to do this? Was it because it is very inexpensive to pay the housing costs? A short term option perhaps. 

One could understand how others, who either have no other options or would remain on a Boat could be a little suspicious. The person with the short term view can behave as conscientiously or as unconscientiously(?) as they like. Personality will rule the behaviour. Changes or increased costs later don't matter as the motivation is not to remain on a Boat. If it becomes less attractive do something else. Licence fee goes up by £200 maybe living on a Boat was not such a Good Idea? 

Group behaviour will form policies and cause change. If the group consists of a lot of people with a short term aim then when changes come (hassle and increased costs) the people negatively impacted arrr those who are already there and will remain whatever happens. 

Increased licence fee is a nuisance but something some people will deal with because they want to live on a Boat. 

9 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

They look < insert word that sounds like a 9 gallon barrel > ugly thats what.

There is the aesthetics situation but I don't think much can be done about that. There are plenty of other Boats which do not appeal in this regard and it would take a lot of Work to prevent this rather glaring issue from occuring. 

50 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

Well it doesnt , Im talking about NB's only opening 1 gate.

What is the beef with WB's from NB's other than jealousy?

I have a small car , I don"t hate everybody with a large car or caravan or motorhome or artic lorry we all share the same roadspace.

Its only a few canals that NB's have to share with bigger boats anyway.

😂😂😂Jealousy? Why should Narrowboater’s be jealous? You get the boat that suits your needs, as you say you have a car, why? Because you probably bought your boat to be like a house and not a boat, so you won’t travel far in it and you will use your car to travel. I bought a Narrowboat and sold my car and it’s a boat that I can travel around on and I don’t need a car. I’m not jealous, I just dont need one, like most that buy a boat because they want to be on the canals.👍 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

So boaters shouldnt have cars , I wonder who all those thousands of cars at Crick show every year belong to?

I suppose on that ethos you shouldnt have a boat if you require a car as well to get to work just incase there are no moorings outside your workplace.

You're being wound up, no-one really hates wide beams, ok maybe the odd one or two, but not hate in the real visceral sense, most people who encounter wide beams on inappropriate waterways are irritated by them, it's just an issue of space and of course any widebeam driven in a selfish or stupid way becomes an obvious and easy target.

No one cares about widebeams on appropriate waterways but where they mix on borderline wide canals they do create issues, much of which could be blamed on canal maintenance as much as anything else.

The aesthetic issue is just opinion and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, if you like your boat that's all that matters and let's be honest most narrowboats are not exactly things of beauty in the first place

• Greenie 4

27 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

So boaters shouldnt have cars , I wonder who all those thousands of cars at Crick show every year belong to?

I suppose on that ethos you shouldnt have a boat if you require a car as well to get to work just incase there are no moorings outside your workplace.

Non boaters, who are dreaming of buying a boat😂 most boaters don’t do Crick as they already have a boat.

Sorry I don’t need to work, that’s why I bought a Narrowboat and I don’t need a car. Your in a different position, you bought the boat to live in, you need your car to go to work to pay for your boat and car, I can travel on the canal any day and go anywhere and do anything I want.

You are restricted to be near your work, so will likely be moored up most of the time and you think People like myself who live on a Narrowboat are jealous of people like you on your widebeam and your car. Sorry I don’t think so and I certainly don’t hate you because you live in a widebeam.

• Greenie 2

Just now, tree monkey said:

You're being wound up, no-one really hates wide beams, ok maybe the odd one or two, but not hate in the real visceral sense, most people who encounter wide beams on inappropriate waterways are irritated by them, it's just an issue of space and of course any widebeam driven in a selfish or stupid way becomes an obvious and easy target.

No one cares about widebeams on appropriate waterways but where they mix on borderline wide canals they do create issues, much of which could be blamed on canal maintenance as much as anything else.

The aesthetic issue is just opinion and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, if you like your boat that's all that matters and let's be honest most narrowboats are not exactly things of beauty in the first place

I agree nobody hates anyone in this but quite a lot of people out Boating for pleasure do dislike it when well found moorings with access to pubs and shops are full of people not out Boating for pleasure. 

This is where the conflict arises even on waterways suitable for bigger Boats. Its not about the actual Boat it is about the way it is used. 

Boating (in a vessel you intend to stay overnight on) is much nicer if there is not the concern about all the moorings being full. 

I can moor anywhere. In a tree on an island whatever it makes no difference but a lot of people out for pleasure do like moorings where one can get orf the Boat without risking a ladder in the tights or a black eye wet left foot. And a sore hand the next day. 

And loss of hats. Loss of hats is shocking in a number of different ways. Loss of Boat even more so. 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Exactly, a boat is a boat, why should people hate them? “Hate is a powerful thing it can turn your heart black you can trust....”

It’s the owners, just like Narrowboat owners that are annoying, but not enough to hate. 

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I agree nobody hates anyone in this but quite a lot of people out Boating for pleasure do dislike it when well found moorings with access to pubs and shops are full of people not out Boating for pleasure. 

This is where the conflict arises even on waterways suitable for bigger Boats. Its not about the actual Boat it is about the way it is used. 

Boating (in a vessel you intend to stay overnight on) is much nicer if there is not the concern about all the moorings being full. 

I can moor anywhere. In a tree on an island whatever it makes no difference but a lot of people out for pleasure do like moorings where one can get orf the Boat without risking a ladder in the tights or a black eye wet left foot. And a sore hand the next day. 

And loss of hats. Loss of hats is shocking in a number of different ways. Loss of Boat even more so. 

You are incorrect. It is when the pub moorings are full and none of them use the pub

43 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Non boaters, who are dreaming of buying a boat😂 most boaters don’t do Crick as they already have a boat.

Sorry I don’t need to work, that’s why I bought a Narrowboat and I don’t need a car. Your in a different position, you bought the boat to live in, you need your car to go to work to pay for your boat and car, I can travel on the canal any day and go anywhere and do anything I want.

You are restricted to be near your work, so will likely be moored up most of the time and you think People like myself who live on a Narrowboat are jealous of people like you on your widebeam and your car. Sorry I don’t think so and I certainly don’t hate you because you live in a widebeam.

Well good for you but that doesn't give you anymore right to the lifestyle than someone else who needs to work or travel.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

Its not really about one person saving £200 per year 

The OP is now paying the EA while previously he presumably had a Gold  license where the license fee would have been split between  the EA and C&RT (please correct me if I am wrong)

So the C&RT are losing out in his case by part of the annual license fee . 

If lots of wide beam owners do the same by moving to EA waters  then C&RT will not see the increase in income that they might have expected.

Surely widebeams will become less popular on C&RT water due to the license fee increases (which will suit some folks). So, with time,and due to the reduced  numbers of widebeams the narrowboats that remain on C&RT waters will have to see corresponding license fee increases .

But how many wide beams have a Gold Licence I bet its not many, and if they want to Save £200 they could just have a CRT licence and stay on the canals. How many who shuffle around London would want to go out on that big river and if they did how much would they actually save, at the moneny they moor 365 days a year for free, if they paid £3 a night thats a grand

4 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

Well good for you but that doesn't give you anymore right to the lifestyle than someone else who needs to work or travel.

Is it a lifestyle if someone only does it because of the low living costs. Basically you circumvent rent. 

Referring to the post on the CRT licensing thread by Alan de Enfield is quite eye-opening. It refers to housing costs v wages. Obviously it is all done via median averaging but the question of 'lifestyle' is an interesting one here as it is a word quite often used.

53 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

I know and being a Narrowboater doesn’t mean I’m jealous or hate widebeams like you seam to think they do, Since you brought these things to the conversation what makes you think this?

You say you’ve had your boat 6 years, but to think that fellow boaters hate and are jealous of widebeams shows your misunderstanding and naivety.

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel around the canals and rivers for 12 yars from age 20 in a 55ft narrow Boat. Unencumbered by financial constraints or work or women or anything. 

I have to say I was not jealous of anyone in the whole world least of all people with wider Boats!! 

Its a red herring to say people have 'issues' with wide beans because of jealousy. Too simple. Its not that at all. It really isn't that. 

12 minutes ago, The Grey Goose said:

Nobody has a "right" to any sort of lifestyle. Any way of living is fine if it's paid honestly for, and follows the legal rules for it. It helps if they follow the unwritten, commonly accepted rules too, which are generally about having some concern for other people.

A lot of those referred to as "continuous moorers" follow neither the written or unwritten rules, so they are an irritation to those who do. Their reasons (work, schools, family) are irrelevant and don't justify the rulebreaking.

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I ‘m not in the least bit jealous. I wouldn’t want a wide beam at all. 

i live next to a carpark and the big cars, just like big boats on the canals, take up too much space and prevent everybody else parking. At best the next door cars struggle to open their doors. Incidentally just like wide beam boats their drivers are often totally incompetent to drive something of their size and park and drive really badly clogging up the parking/mooring spaces and roads/canals with only one person driving them. When they get anywhere they seem to stay for longer than necessary as I presume it’s  such palaver moving them.

I could go on but I  both big cars and canal craft quite antisocial. I think I might be prepared to pay an extra £200 to get rid of both

To much generalisation, I have seen atrocious narrowboat drivers and equally bad widebeam drivers! Same with cars I have watched small cars struggling to get through a gap that I could drive an Artic through! I had a Narrowboat on a large waterway, one day woke up and changed it for a widebeam, I might change to a 72 foot narrowboat one day who knows?