Thinking about buying a boat

Isher1883

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Laurie Booth said:

Yes, there are cheap perfectly livable houses available usually in old industrial areas.There are usually a good selection on Facebook and RightmoveThe old run down textile towns in Lancashire and mining towns of Yorkshire seem to be the cheapest.

A careful choice might avoid high crime and drug areas, but I once had a very cheap house in a run down area of Huddersfield, and the worst I experienced was some cheeky sod pissing in my front garden.

On 18/12/2023 at 18:14, Isher1883 said:

With rent so expensive and mortgages through the roof me and my partner are thinking about buying a boat to live on full time. How ever we wouldn't be cruising continuously it would just be our home and still be working around south Manchester. I think Victoria pit would be an ideal location but I've read mooring have to be residential to live there permanently. Does anyone know if this is the case? And does anyone know if there are any residential moorings near Stockport?

Ring around for mooring prices, and be aware, living on a boat can at times be cheaper than a house, but more often than not, it isn't.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes, there are cheap perfectly livable houses available usually in old industrial areas.There are usually a good selection on Facebook and RightmoveThe old run down textile towns in Lancashire and mining towns of Yorkshire seem to be the cheapest.

A careful choice might avoid high crime and drug areas, but I once had a very cheap house in a run down area of Huddersfield, and the worst I experienced was some cheeky sod pissing in my front garden.

Stoke-on-Trent, cheapest I have ever seen. 

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stoke-on-Trent, cheapest I have ever seen. 

Just had a look, and you're right.Some nice looking houses very cheap.

Is there some reason that property in Stoke On Trent is so cheap?

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

its one of the areas we never moor, so that might be a reason? :)

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Demand and supply.

Not many people want to live there because there is not much well paid employment in the area, and that starts a spiral of decline, those who are left struggle to afford to maintain their properties meaning the area doesn't look great so property prices go down even more etc.

On 18/12/2023 at 21:00, Isher1883 said:

I'll just not bother, if that makes people happy. Who'd have thought asking a question about canal boats on a canal boat forum would cause such an inconvenience to people. I just go for it on my own. Have a nice life people 🤘

Don't sweat it. You'll get all kinds of responses on this site. Some of them will be very useful. Those that don't feel helpful - just ignore em! Good luck

• Greenie 1

When you see a herd of unicorns it will be a good time to look for residential moorings near Stockport. I lived there and around for 30 years and never found one.

The best you could hope for is a leisure mooring in a marina where if you keep your head down and cause no rucktions you can be tolerated as a live aboard. But you can be evicted at a moments notice and may have to bribe the owner with a "long term staying onboard" fee.

Try Macclesfield and New Mills marinas. Or Bollington or Kerridge dry dock. Call in, don't phone up and just asked if you can stay there for a week or so at a stretch, not if you can live there.

I did 12 years in Macclesfield before being asked to moving on.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

18 hours ago, captain flint said:

Don't sweat it. You'll get all kinds of responses on this site. Some of them will be very useful. Those that don't feel helpful - just ignore em! Good luck

Best advice you’ll get. 
Second best advice is to join a few Facebook groups.  Much broader range of opinions and more balanced views. There will be plenty of people that have been in a similar situation to you and will be able to advise sensibly. 

Above all. Do what suits you and what feels right.  And if you get it wrong just change what you’re doing and do something else. Better than being too scared to do anything or to be talked out of it by some ‘experts’ on a forum making decisions for you. 👍

20 hours ago, captain flint said:

Those that don't feel helpful - just ignore em! Good luck

The problem with that advice is that the 'not helpful' comments or suggestions could in fact be very helpful and hightlight something the enquirer had not considered, maybe, he has a bad back and did not know that he had to lift a 30-35kg gas cylinder onto the boat.

The advice just to ignore something if you don't like it, or because it is contrary to what you want to hear is extremely poor advice.

Just because you know something does not mean that a newbie who posts "seen some you tube videos & with the morgage being so expensive we are thinking about buying a boat" understands all of the ramifications of boat ownership.

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

For "balanced" read "diametrically opposed and extreme".

Doing a great job of proving my point there. 😂😂😂

There’s a great big boaty world outside this forum.  Makes sense to not limit yourself to one source.  It’s like reading one book when you have access to The British Library and thinking you’ve learnt it all. 

6 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Facebook groups are great for keeping up with community goings on, but you won't find the depth of technical knowledge that you get on this forum.  

You will if you converse with the right people

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You will if you converse with the right people

But the ratio of dross seems a lot higher on FB than on here, so more sorting through the chaff seems necessary. 

• Greenie 3

34 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Facebook groups are great for keeping up with community goings on, but you won't find the depth of technical knowledge that you get on this forum.  

At the risk of upsetting some of the longer serving members (again😂), I’d say the self-belief in their knowledge is greater than the reality.  Not least as many of the Facebook groups have trade professionals on who are actively working on the issues every day and are far more up to date with their knowledge. You also don’t get automatic ‘old boater good new boater bad and knows nothing’ attitude that seems endemic on here.  

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

But the ratio of dross seems a lot higher on FB than on here, so more sorting through the chaff seems necessary. 

Dross!    Have you read most of the threads on here!!!!!  😂

7 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Not least as many of the Facebook groups have trade professionals on who are actively working on the issues every day and are far more up to date with their knowledge.

Maybe so, but how can you identify them?

(the professionals, that is)

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Perhaps when you have been on here longer than six months you will get an understanding of who's advice you can trust.

I agree there is some dodgy advice posted on here but I've long since worked out who's advice is worth something and who's is worthless.

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Perhaps when you have been on here longer than six months you will get an understanding of who's advice you can trust.

I agree there is some dodgy advice posted on here but I've long since worked out who's advice is worth something and who's is worthless.

To be fair by dross I meant the tendency to go off at an irrelevant tangent to the point that the actual question becomes lost along with any useful answers with it.  

17 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

At the risk of upsetting some of the longer serving members (again😂), I’d say the self-belief in their knowledge is greater than the reality.  Not least as many of the Facebook groups have trade professionals on who are actively working on the issues every day and are far more up to date with their knowledge. You also don’t get automatic ‘old boater good new boater bad and knows nothing’ attitude that seems endemic on here.  

Yet you still frequent this forum if it's that bad?......🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Yet you still frequent this forum if it's that bad?......🤷‍♂️

Truckcab is relative newcomer to the boating fraternity, but is always keen to offer his own opinions. He's probably got a fb site, if that's what they are termed.

His earlier comment regarding self belief had me choking on my soda lime! :) 😀 😃 🙂 🙃 😊 😇 😀 

Edited by LadyG

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Truckcab is relative newcomer to the boating fraternity, but is always keen to offer his own opinions. He's probably got a fb site, if that's what they are termed.

His earlier comment regarding self belief had me choking on my soda lime! :) 😀 😃 🙂 🙃 😊 😇 😀 

Always happy to give information when I know something and happy to keep quiet when I don’t. A few on here could learn from that.😉 😂 🤫 

I also take no offence when others don’t want the info because they know everything already. 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The advice just to ignore something if you don't like it, or because it is contrary to what you want to hear is extremely poor advice

You're probably right, I should probably have said something more like don't take stuff personally. 

• Greenie 1