Renting boat unemployed

Jimmy2445

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

You must work for citizen's advice service )

Norman Tebbit :

"I grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking till he found it".

As a result, Tebbit is often misquoted as having directly told the unemployed to "get on your bike", and he was popularly referred to as "Onyerbike" for some considerable time afterwards

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And me

Separate posting

I think that @Jimmy2445 biggest problem will be in proving what he is paying in rent, I strongly suspect who is ever renting a boat out cheaper than a flat wont want a paper trail for tax and other reasons like licence, insurance and safety certification.

Yes the DwP will want a signed document with confirmation of the rental agreement from someone in a more official position than Mr A N Other. 

I think if the boat is on a CRT mooring and the CRT approve it could potentially be done but I'm not sure where the rent of the boat would fit into this. They would probably pay for the mooring but how would one assess the rental cost for a floating box? 

The problem would occur when the person claiming the housing costs requested a signed document from the mooring owner followed by the mooring owner realising that a boat was being sublet on their mooring..

I don't think this plan works. 

Something like this has the potential to be an endless benefit fraud cycle. The person who owns the boat could be claiming housing costs then sublets it to someone claiming then they sublet it ad infinitum. 

I'm sure the system can spot this type of scam fairly easily. 

5 hours ago, M_JG said:

That's two weeks more than me then.

Does that mean I should see you as a parasite?

Stupid comment. I actually drew no money at all, I was in the 6 weeks waiting period. So you have no experience of being out  of work at all if you have never signed on. You are not qualified to comment then.

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stupid comment. I actually drew no money at all, I was in the 6 weeks waiting period. So you have no experience of being out  of work at all if you have never signed on. You are not qualified to comment then.

How exactly does never having been out of work prevent me from calling out somebody calling someone else a parasite for being so.

I wouldn't react by calling your comment 'stupid' but it is certainly completely illogical.

Anyway the benefit system is divisive. 

Its basically there to take money from the pocket of the working classes and give it to the poor and feckless as a way to protect the rich, who don't pay tax if they have any nous, from having their doors broken down by organised groups of poor and feckless people. 

Its nothing to do with welfare. Just a way of getting other people to pay for your security while sowing the seeds of division and discontent in the fertile but often undernourished minds of the masses. 

Nothing to see here. Move along please. 

10 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Must admit I gave Tracey a Greenie for his comment,

I wouldn’t usually support such comment but I thought it quite honest and true. Simplistic but true. 

Although, for lots of reasons, finding a job might be a problem. 

Yes it was direct and to the point, and I can't complain about people doing that as I often do it myself. No point sometimes in skirting around an issue when dealing direct is often more effective.

However.......

We have a two line first post to base our judgement on and IMHO responding in such a scathing manner was uncalled for.

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Life is hard, but look where hard work and determination got you.   Are you better for not retreating to an unofficial rental on a boat and living off benefits?  I bet you are. 

As you know, I tell it like it is, no cotton wool. I am sick of the parasites in this world.  In my long life I have drawn dole for 2 weeks and in that time I started a business and worked damn hard at it for 55 years.

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Quite aside from the very many completely legitimate reasons why some people might find themselves temporarily out of work and, therefore, in need of temporary support from the welfare state, you have completely contradicted yourself in the above two statements.

If the second statement is true, then the first statement is, at best, poorly written. It was certainly not a "stupid comment" to call you out on it, based on your own words.

• Unimpressed 1

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Anyway the benefit system is divisive. 

Its basically there to take money from the pocket of the working classes and give it to the poor and feckless as a way to protect the rich, who don't pay tax if they have any nous, from having their doors broken down by organised groups of poor and feckless people. 

Its nothing to do with welfare. Just a way of getting other people to pay for your security while sowing the seeds of division and discontent in the fertile but often undernourished minds of the masses. 

Nothing to see here. Move along please. 

It’s a system that keeps people in poverty while just about keeps them from rioting. 
Every so often the people will rise up and riot, and in return the State relishes in squashing them down with brute force,

the rest of society breaths easy and draws the curtains. 

26 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Yes it was direct and to the point, and I can't complain about people doing that as I often do it myself. No point sometimes in skirting around an issue when dealing direct is often more effective.

However.......

We have a two line first post to base our judgement on and IMHO responding in such a scathing manner was uncalled for.

Let’s hope Jimmy gets back on here,

New posters are often surprised/shocked how quick a thread on here develops,

yes, “get a job” is an all too easy and flippant remark, I know. 

32 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

He has been looking at the thread so will have seen he's had some helpful responses.

Thanks for all the sensible replies I appreciate it to the others I have thick skin and just scroll past them I didn’t say I was unemployed I am working and possible getting made redundant so might lose my accommodation,so I was just asking in case it happens I have worked for 50 years never claimed anything so thought renting a boat would be a bit cheaper than a flat as the renting sector is expensive. so 750000 immigrants came to this country in the last year I have nothing against the asylum seekers who have been persecuted, so they get house food expenses I will not be asking for as much these people if I eventually need it  so thanks to the caring people on here not going to mention the others who this forum don’t need but I am in favour of free speech as long as it is sensible 

thanks everyone it’s a good forum

• Greenie 4
  • Horror 1

Ignoring the oh so charming responses from those that are fortunate enough not to understand (yes yes, you came form nothing and worked for water blah blah) the single biggest issue you will find is getting landlord to write up a tenancy agreement. There are very few boat lords who are doing this aboveboard as it were, so it stands to reason that many want to do it on the down low, that said, if you get a formal agreement, The DWP wont care about the back story... 

Good luck, I hope things brighten up in this world full of Tracy's..  

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

It’s a system that keeps people in poverty while just about keeps them from rioting. 
Every so often the people will rise up and riot, and in return the State relishes in squashing them down with brute force,

the rest of society breaths easy and draws the curtains. 

yes, “get a job” is an all too easy and flippant remark, I know. 

I'm pleased to say I was on the dole for three or four years in York, and again in Lincoln for a couple, and not for want of trying. Anyone who thinks you can, or ever could, keep drawing benefits (if fit) while not actively looking for work, and accepting anything that comes up, is both a fool and someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Especially if you don't have a formal address, or, if you do, it's in the wrong part of town. Or transport, of course, which you won't have if you've been on benefits a while.

Like Tracy, however, I spent those years honing a craft which gave me an income for the following forty years, and there are a mass of successful and reputable artists out there who would say the same.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm pleased to say I was on the dole for three or four years in York, and again in Lincoln for a couple, and not for want of trying. Anyone who thinks you can, or ever could, keep drawing benefits (if fit) while not actively looking for work, and accepting anything that comes up, is both a fool and someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Especially if you don't have a formal address, or, if you do, it's in the wrong part of town. Or transport, of course, which you won't have if you've been on benefits a while.

Like Tracy, however, I spent those years honing a craft which gave me an income for the following forty years, and there are a mass of successful and reputable artists out there who would say the same.

im just glad it was easier in my day, 

me boss used to drive me down at lunch break to sign on,

them good old days on the building site, 

it’s a bit tougher these days,

it’s a full time job just to claim benefits,

let alone get a job on the side,

9 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

Augustus De Morgan

Curious.

I always imagined that was Mike Spilligan. 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Anarchists and bleeding heart liberals, the people unable and unwilling to do anything about anything.  I did, several times in my life.

This forum attracts them.

Give it a rest for gawds sake.

Anarchists and bleeding heart liberals, the people unable and unwilling to do anything about anything.  I did, several times in my life.

Maybe start a thread in the politics section then, i'd welcome the discussion. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Wanted said:

Ignoring the oh so charming responses from those that are fortunate enough not to understand (yes yes, you came form nothing and worked for water blah blah) the single biggest issue you will find is getting landlord to write up a tenancy agreement. .  

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yes the DwP will want a signed document with confirmation of the rental agreement from someone in a more official position than Mr A N Other. 

I think if the boat is on a CRT mooring and the CRT approve it could potentially be done but I'm not sure where the rent of the boat would fit into this. They would probably pay for the mooring but how would one assess the rental cost for a floating box? 

The problem would occur when the person claiming the housing costs requested a signed document from the mooring owner followed by the mooring owner realising that a boat was being sublet on their mooring..

I don't think this plan works. 

Something like this has the potential to be an endless benefit fraud cycle. The person who owns the boat could be claiming housing costs then sublets it to someone claiming then they sublet it ad infinitum. 

I'm sure the system can spot this type of scam fairly easily. 

Will it be A Bit Like This ?

(disclaimer: my boat housing costs are paid for by the DwP). 

Years ago I had to make myself redundant from my own company when the (a) recession totally destroyed my company. I signed on to get my stamp paid, and was informed I had to claim the dole.

Even better I was told I was entitled to double dole.

Whilst, in a rather bemused state, I was given my money, I watched builder's vans pull up outside the office, watched the builders, plasterers, painters, etc clamber out, claim their dole, then get back in the van to return to the building sites.

I was offered the chance to re-train and enthusiastically accepted to the amazement and surprise of the dole clerk. I went for assessment and was told I could sign up to any university I fancied for whatever course I fancied. Imagine my surprise when I was informed I would have to pay for the course myself then put in a claim for the money which might, or might not, be paid back to me. When I pointed out that I was out of work, had no income, had spent my savings attempting to keep my company afloat and therefore could not afford to pay out several thousands in the vain hope of getting it refunded, the response was "well, if you don't want to retrain, that's your look out" I promptly went out and found gainful employment even though it was during a recession - a job I stayed in for 23 years until I retired.

After a couple of years watching daytime TV, I got a part time job on a zero hours contract. From my viewpoint it pays for holidays and because it's a zero hours contract I can tell them I'm taking the next three weeks off.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Curious.

I always imagined that was Mike Spilligan. 

Lady Barnaby takes her ease knitting over coats for fleas, By this kindness fleas are smitten.  That's why she's very rarely bitten.     Spike Milligan.

10 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

In my long life I have drawn dole for 2 weeks and in that time I started a business and worked damn hard at it for 55 years.

So, whilst you were preparing to start your business you signed on but then set up a business within six weeks?

Why did you sign on at all if you knew you were setting up a business?

Just in case the business failed or never got off the ground?

A safety net from the state?

Thank God for those "bleeding heart liberals" who set up a system that was there to help you in case it did eh!

By the way, what you did doesn't make you a parasite. It makes you a normal citizen who is using (or at least preparing to use) the system that is there to help them. You know, like lots of other people. The kind of people you're calling parasites!

Why is there no monument to porridge in our land?

If it's good enough to eat, then it's good enough to stand.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,

The holes are small, which is why rain is thin.

Both by Spike Milligan

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Lady Barnaby takes her ease knitting over coats for fleas, By this kindness fleas are smitten.  That's why she's very rarely bitten.     Spike Milligan.