Solid Fuel Not Getting Hot?

Jennarasion

Featured Posts

Its actually quite an intriguing fire. It looks like the front and sides is all one sheet of steel which has been folded 4 times to get the required shape. 

Rather than being welded at each corner or folded just once. 

It seems tinny and shows some signs of buckling. 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its actually quite an intriguing fire. It looks like the front and sides is all one sheet of steel which has been folded 4 times to get the required shape. 

Rather than being welded at each corner or folded just once. 

It seems tinny and shows some signs of buckling. 

I wonder why that flue has a dogleg at all, maybe some obstruction preventing the use of a straight flue pipe.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

17014706883892006366489350131290.jpg

It doesn't look to me to be anything like a solid fuel fire - it almost looks as if someone has been playing with photo-shop and trying to simulate a burning fire.

Also not the best place to leave the brush. My one at home started smouldering when left too close to the fire 

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also unusual to have pink flames. 

Red is very difficult to portray accurately with some digital cameras in some lighting.  I have had many problems with shots of red things getting the colour right.

I have been assuming that that was why the colour was strange.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

17014706883892006366489350131290.jpg

It doesn't look to me to be anything like a solid fuel fire - it almost looks as if someone has been playing with photo-shop and trying to simulate a burning fire.

The fans are spinning. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

They are not moving in the pic I have.

This is because it is a picture. 

In the image the shutter speed is such that the rotating fans have described circles. I think this would be very awkward to photoshop but I suppose its doable. 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Also not the best place to leave the brush. My one at home started smouldering when left too close to the fire 

It also looks very weird that ash appears to be falling straight thru and under the stove, and is even falling out onto the wooden floor (their appears to also be a burnt metal ring in the ashes - I wonder if there are body parts in there ?

It looks a bluddy dangerous set up !

I think the thin wall large diameter flue is likely to be a problem. Too much surface area and not enough mass to retain the heat. It would be a battle to get it hot enough. Fire would probably work better with a straight 1.5mm wall stainless tube 4 inch diameter. 

The flue is very strange

17014709150428733338151496523132.jpg

Why not just move the fire a bit and have a straight flue? Its asking for trouble like that. 

Ridiculous but there must be a reason as nobody would do that. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Why not just move the fire a bit and have a straight flue? Its asking for trouble like that. 

Ridiculous but there must be a reason as nobody would do that. 

Exactly what I was queying. I can only assume moving it would mean remaking the hearth, or bringing the stove further towards the centre line. That coupled with a perhaps less than ideal deckhead outlet position perhaps makes it easier just to put a dogleg in.

FWIW, my SS thinwall straight flue pipe is working out great at the moment.

• Greenie 1

I love my stainless flue. Its brilliant,won't rust and stays cleaner inside. 

The thing to do is find a cylinder (old fire extinguisher etc) which just fits inside the flue and attach this to a pole then use that to mildly scrub the flue. 

In my case 70mm ID happens to be the same as a beer can. 

(beer can is 70mm OD)