NB Argus - Daventry 1959

mark99

Featured Posts

I have been enjoying the historic photos being posted by mark99 as many of them relate to my early days on the canals, but where have they all come from? I have trawled through Mark's posts but am unable to find any mention of their source.

He did mention Hounslow archives. Not sure if this an online resource or if he has been given permission to image the collection. 

Certainly some Very Good pictures there. 

I for one think they are Very Good. 

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You can not image my relief when Pete moored Bletchley and Argus behind me in lower Berkhamsptead ,Winter 2009/10 when I had been iced in for 13 weeks, I was down to my last 1/2 bag of whatever I was burning then which doesnt exist any more!! . 

Argus was sold recently by the CRT/CBS for around £13k. Its still a really nice butty and will hopefully remain that way. 

I think it was Jules Fuels who got it. 

I'm pretty sure I saw Bletchley the other day doing the fuel boat run through London possibly now part of the Denham / Wakeham fleet ?

Maybe another boat but the doors were open and reminded me a lot of when Peter Hawker had the boats.

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Well it’s not totally wrong. It’s bridge 77A and it’s the M45.

I guess structure 110 was the designation/MOT Laings used pertaining to the road.

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have been enjoying the historic photos being posted by mark99 as many of them relate to my early days on the canals, but where have they all come from? I have trawled through Mark's posts but am unable to find any mention of their source.

I have loads stuffed away randomly. Local authorities etc. I'm not 100% sure of permission status of each set so publish and be damned (will remove if anyone objects). They are not from books. Some I guess are well known but cannot be bothered to check if put here before.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes it could be, it would have been owned by the MoT rather than BWB. Also the M45 designation may not have been determined and it is a spur of the M1.

There is a whole series of them that feature Laings. Mainly uninteresting. Laings IIRC were sold for £1

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Bletchley was sorted out by Jules, originally targeted at the Nene when Alan Buckle gave up challenging their winter closures, but within weeks changing to the lower GU as Jules would really like to retire in some form at least ...you know what I mean...

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think I saw Bletchley last week on Limehouse cut with Ash which is out of Denham lock which made me think Pete Wakeham. Not sure but the doors looked right.

Bletchley has been doing the Jules Fuels Grand Union 'central' bit with Bideford for the last few years at least.

Edited by IanM