Another cut back. ?

bigcol

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Not many complaints on this thread. Personally, although I realise this will lead to more fly tipping, I believe it's the local authorities who should provide rubbish and dog bins in their own area. Regrettably the LA's are strapped for cash too. At Cosworth this year I witnessed man with a van unloading a whole transit full of builders waste into the C&RT bins. It happens and it's not for C&RT to pay for local tradesmen to get rid of waste. Nor it is for C&RT to have to remove the various boaters waste that shouldn't be put in bins. I've regularly seen batteries, the remains of boater's bathrooms, kitchens, waste oil, etc. left on the floor of waste compounds. Blame goes to those who abuse the system this time not C&RT.

Just out of curiosity, did you do anything about it? I'd have been tempted to have videoed it, and his VRM (on phone or something)  and sent it to CRT. If the man didn't like it, tough.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

31 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I've regularly seen batteries, the remains of boater's bathrooms, kitchens, waste oil, etc.

I have seen that also and agree it should be domestic waste only. 

These days disobeying simple rules and even disobeying laws is extremely common.  

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Not many complaints on this thread. Personally, although I realise this will lead to more fly tipping, I believe it's the local authorities who should provide rubbish and dog bins in their own area. Regrettably the LA's are strapped for cash too. At Cosworth this year I witnessed man with a van unloading a whole transit full of builders waste into the C&RT bins. It happens and it's not for C&RT to pay for local tradesmen to get rid of waste. Nor it is for C&RT to have to remove the various boaters waste that shouldn't be put in bins. I've regularly seen batteries, the remains of boater's bathrooms, kitchens, waste oil, etc. left on the floor of waste compounds. Blame goes to those who abuse the system this time not C&RT.

I saw exactly the same thing on the GU 25 years ago, in that case I did report it to BW, it was before I owned a boat and only had a share

19 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't really see why it's part of CRT's remit to clear up other people's dog muck. Their dog, their muck. Take it home and put it in the bin. Or hang it on a tree, like most of 'em do...

And that was also a comment that the CRT person also said to me but about rubbish bins - they can take the rubbish home with them.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

And that was also a comment that the CRT person also said to me but about rubbish bins - they can take the rubbish home with them.

Since a couple of vollies said the same to me yesterday it suggests that there has been some careful briefing. Especially as they also report a lot of verbal complaints from local dog walkers who not only think that they have a right to walk the towpath but also for their to be disposal bins.

In some ways I feel that this is probably quite a good battle for CaRT to fight - especially as some of the complaints have been made by local councils who are not prepared to pick up the tab. I also note that in many areas it has been decided that separate dog poo bins are no longer needed. Probably depends on the collecting contractor.

Its all old people's fault.  When people retire they should get new jobs that provide a service to the community.  They should man CRT's services, on a residential basis.  CRT should only provide services at manned sites with on-site accommodation for them.  All service sites should be manned.  That include locks.  That does not mean they have to operate the locks, they merely have to provide the sense of ownership that deters (but does not absolutely prevent) bad bahaviour).  So CRT should provide top quality lock keeper's cottages for every lock, the investment will be worthwhile.  The stipulation of every lock might be modified for the Caen flight.  When the overwhelming success of this arrangement is realised it will be extended to all other public infrastructure that tends to get mistreated.  Resident car park attendants?  Perhaps one for each canal bridge? 

NB Some facilities could be womaned instead of being manned.

NB The "manners" will be encouraged to provide other services as they find appropriate and operating such hours as they find convenient.

NB Displaced persons from the Indian sub-continent would be welcome in this role.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

If the flytipper then gets their phone out and records you recording them and you are a local on a boat you'd want to hope he has nice friends. 

Different if you are on a cruise I suppose. 

Can't say that I'd be unduly concerned at being filmed by the fly tipper, what technology is he going to have on his phone? Facial recognition?? I would film his VRM to identify him, how is he going to identify me?

I am not talking boater refuse here but litter from the general public and litter bins. If you had a park where you allowed people in you would expect to provide facilities to deal with their litter and dog poo, you wouldn't expect the local authority to do it, think country fairs, car boots etc. But as the owner of that property you wouldn't expect to provide bins along the public road and footpaths leading to it.

So where would CRT fall into this with towpaths, the public have free access but CRT claim they own them, they are not a public highway like a lane or pavement but neither can they close the gates and keep the public out.

The Broads Authority stopped providing bins for boaters rubbish and said it was up to local authorities who owned the staiths  

Thats why the answer could be for local authorities to manage canalside paths. Including moorings.

It makes sense in a way but obviously difficult to manage. 

Effectively what was a towing path once is now obsolete and has become a linear park. Parks are usually managed by local authorities. 

This could mean an end to free moorings on the public side of the canal. 

Or maybe LAs would take the view that offering short visitor mooings would be sensible. 

Edited by magnetman

54 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

we are talking cuts to services to towpath walkers here

I do get what you are saying but perhaps the removal of bins will spread to those provided specifically with boaters in mind.

I expect that would save C&RT a significant sum.

On 27/10/2023 at 19:33, Cheshire cat said:

It really has come to something when dog poo bins are being removed. It does a disservice to dog owners but inevitably to all canal users.

The one below Great Haywood lock disappeared some time in the last twelve months

There are plenty of bins though, 4 between Essex Bridge and the canal, one just past the railway bridge, one outside the pub and another couple just up the road.  From the other end there are four bins from the canal bridge to the Spar , so there certainly isn't a shortage of general rubbish bins in Great Haywood.