Bare minimum equipment.

truckcab79

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What law is that please ?

I can't say I have ever owned or used gaffer tape in my life 

What do you use it for on a boat ?

Things that I can't fix with a hammer... 😅😂

Seriously came in handy once on our first shareboat when one of the coolant hoses sprung a leak.

Got me to the nearest boatyard where I bought a replacement hose.

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I can't say I have ever owned or used gaffer tape in my life 

What do you use it for on a boat ?

Very true that.  I keep it on the work van, in the workshop and at home. Can’t remember the last time I ever used any. 😂.  Tends to find a use bodging stuff together that isn’t meant to be together in my experience. Preferably where the client can’t see it until long after you’ve gone. (Not by me I hasten to add). 

Now insulation tape I use for pretty much everything except electrical work.   That and cable ties.  

35 minutes ago, SLC said:

Jubilee clips of various sizes and a basic tool kit. What would go in that tool kit is open to debate. I assume gas bottle spanner has been mentioned?

It hasn’t. No gas on there yet but will bear in mind for when there is. 

35 minutes ago, magnetman said:

PTFE tape also useful if you are playing with diesel engines.

Proper clothing of a suitable style to adequate impress the ladies while boating. 

I’m in work clothes most of the time and look like a scarecrow.  I’ll leave the clothes shopping to my wife. 😂

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Its in the canal byelaws, they are easily enough to find (Google) so I'll leave it with you to have a search around for them.

The bylaws say

image.png.4ae443ba0ec16dd16d79212209b22b35.png

which is not what you said which was 

image.png.0a2b5b6664801c352d35fbd69c00eee6.png

Edited by MartynG

Obviously you don't need fenders if the boat is not moving but any time is moving on water there is always a risk it could knock against another thing.

So in effect bow and starn fenders are a legal requirement while underway but possibly not when the boat is moored or unused. 

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not exactly as quoted by @Paul C

6. Every vessel navigated on any canal shall have ready for immediate use proper fenders of suitable material and in good condition and the master of such vessel shall use such fenders whenever there is a risk of the vessel striking against any other vessel or against any wall, lockgate, bridge or other thing.

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

I know.......

I don't know what your point is though?

My point is your statement that fenders front and back are a legal requirement was not correct

You should have left out the 'front and back' part

2 hours ago, SLC said:

Jubilee clips of various sizes and a basic tool kit. What would go in that tool kit is open to debate. I assume gas bottle spanner has been mentioned?

I bought a special Calor spanner £8, it was no use, the wrong size!I so i bought a wheel type controller,  much better, designed to overcome the Calor gas bottle design problem.

Only use s/s jubilee clips, I've only ever used one, when I replaced Gas hose . 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

That IS bizarre. I don't know where to start.

I suspect there must be cylinders with different configuration, maybe patio gas, I dont know. I saw it today when I was sorting my three toolboxes!

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

So the bylaws say we should be using fenders to prevent our boats hitting any wall? That presumably includes lock walls. Interesting...

Why would you not do so?

Edited by MartynG

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

I never understood why people would put a flag up saying nobody was on the boat. 

I tend to do the opposite. Leave the padlock on the stern doors and rely on the engine room side hatches for emergency egress. 

I once left the boat moored for a fortnight on the BCN with the stern doors and hatch open and the tiller on. I left via the bow doors and simply forgot about the back doors! Nothing was taken or disturbed.