Needless Blue Signs

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not useless if your boat is 17.5m

For once I agree with you.

This forum is full of moaners. They moan if there are too many signs and they'd moan if there weren't enough signs and they got stuck because CRT hadn't made something clear enough. It's a poisoned chalice and they can't win. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This forum is full of moaners. They moan if there are too many signs and they'd moan if there weren't enough signs and they got stuck because CRT hadn't made something clear enough. It's a poisoned chalice and they can't win. 

But shouldn't it be in feet. The speed limit on canals is 4 mile per hour. 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

¿Qué?

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I bet they'd moan even more if CART said "Right, we've listened to you, no more blue signs, in fact we're taking them all down!", then the government says to CART "You're failing to meet your KPI of attracting lots of the general public onto the canals, so we're cutting your grant by £10M a year", then CART says to boaters "Sorry, we're going to have to put up all your license fees by 30% to make up for the money we lost due to taking the blue signs down"... 😉

The "needless blue signs" are (mostly) not targeted at 35000 boaters, they're targeted at 65000000 non-boaters who nowadays are the real reason the Government funds the canals, as has been made obvious by Richard Parry and others -- and there's not a lot CART can do about this. Boaters on here moaning about how pointless they are and it's all CARTs fault either don't get this or don't want to admit it... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, magnetman said:

¿Qué?

I think the wooden 'mileposts' are metric, every kilometer, but I have seen standard concrete ones, and they are in miles, as on the restored Chesterfield,  (Brindley 1777)

One has to cope with all measurements , I've even seen folks measuring fuel consumption in gallons  (UK imperial?), when fuel has been sold on the forecourt in litres since 1995.

My rule of thumb is 1l per engine hour taken from the engine hour counter and which is only a rough guide.

Edited by LadyG

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It ought at least face the winding hole ,

and can then be read from both directions,

I wondered if there were a winding hole 17miles away with a post 17miles on the other side of it.

Does it need to be so big, so high up, so blue? So ugly?

I couldn’t spot anywhere to wind with so much over growth. 

Pointless. 

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

I bet they'd moan even more if CART said "Right, we've listened to you, no more blue signs, in fact we're taking them all down!", then the government says to CART "You're failing to meet your KPI of attracting lots of the general public onto the canals, so we're cutting your grant by £10M a year", then CART says to boaters "Sorry, we're going to have to put up all your license fees by 30% to make up for the money we lost due to taking the blue signs down"... 😉

The "needless blue signs" are (mostly) not targeted at 35000 boaters, they're targeted at 65000000 non-boaters who nowadays are the real reason the Government funds the canals, as has been made obvious by Richard Parry and others -- and there's not a lot CART can do about this. Boaters on here moaning about how pointless they are and it's all CARTs fault either don't get this or don't want to admit it... 😞

So why do non boaters need to know the size of the winding hole. Most do not even know what a winding hole is

• Greenie 1

Signs are a branding thing..

I remember when the NRA (not the gun lobby) became the EA on the Thames back in about 1996. Prior to that the Thames Conservancy and Thames water had put in some really nice high quality signage. Tin enamel and cast aluminium stuff. No messing about. 

When the EA came in some of the signs were stickered over but lock signs and basic things like channel markers were replaced with awful crappy printed dibond panels. Text too small and it all looks shite. 

Sometimes the replacement of signs due to rebranding is a significant detriment but one supposes worse things do happen at sea. 

Thames still works alright as far as I can see. 

Edited by magnetman
edit to remove bean reference

8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

So why do non boaters need to know the size of the winding hole. Most do not even know what a winding hole is

Most of the signs moaned about (and posted on CWDF) are not about winding holes, they're about "public-friendly" things...

-- which is exactly what I said, if you read it -- the clue was in the word "(mostly)"...

Edited by IanD

Signs are a branding thing..

The CRT probably do have to make the sinking tyre/broken polo mint thing more visible in order to make life better by water. 

People need guidance. A sinking tyre and/or a broken polo mint arrr excellent devices to achieve this end. 

Edited by magnetman
edit to remove sex reference

Metric is fine. 

• Greenie 1

Of coarse!

I don't know M8. 

• Greenie 1