Stainless Steel Flu Pipe.

rusty69

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Silicone pan handling thing 

IMG_20230826_183405.thumb.jpg.b2d5e5daaea85cfc745a2fe10858529e.jpg

It's got holes in it, innit 😂

Did you go out and take that pic especially for me? Awww, thanks mm. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

One of these. Amazing invention I've had that on there about a yar and no rain ever gets in at all. £3. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384991785716

You sir, are a modern day genius. 

They are not holes. 

Look more carefully. This gives an insulating effect. 

The point with high temp oven silicone stuff is it can actually deal with external flue temperatures and it is very flexible. 

This thing is truly amazing. I never thought it would work particularly well but it just sorts it. 

Even when the fire isn't going this thing stops 100% of the rain. It just works.

• Greenie 1

They are not holes. 

Look more carefully. This gives an insulating effect. 

The point with high temp oven silicone stuff is it can actually deal with external flue temperatures and it is very flexible. 

This thing is truly amazing. I never thought it would work particularly well but it just sorts it. 

Ang on. Those are last year's leaves. You didn't just take that pic, did you? 

They do fade 

$_1.JPG

Just now, rusty69 said:

Ang on. Those are last year's leaves. You didn't just take that pic, did you? 

Yes I took it 5 minutes ago. The beech mast is recent. I have a squirrel who constantly bombards the boat with tree shrapnel. 

• Haha 1

He is doing it right now. Crazy nutter with a massive appetite or all the beech mast is dead !! 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

If only he could find something to sort the rest of the roof

I've been asked to ensure the boat blends in with the shabby genteel feel of the country estate. One must make an effort in this regard ! You should see their statuary in the gardens. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

I have a squirrel too. Small world. 

This one keeps trying to break my solar panels. I wonder if he is frustrated by the no edible nuts and throws them down with extra force. He hit me on the head a couple of days ago and it was quite painful. 

• Haha 1

This one keeps trying to break my solar panels. I wonder if he is frustrated by the no edible nuts and throws them down with extra force. He hit me on the head a couple of days ago and it was quite painful. 

As blackadder once said "some kind of raffia hat is in order" 

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

Get swaged fittings so you can take the whole thing apart easily. 

IMG_20230826_180029.thumb.jpg.edcce3d72d00584f673eee51fdb8cc98.jpg

Is an unsupported flue that comes apart in sections a good idea? How are the joints sealed? 

What would worry me is hitting a lock wall, etc, and a joint becomes loose and emits CO either at the time or later when you light a fire. I'm not sure it's very safe.

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

One of these. Amazing invention I've had that on there about a yar and no rain ever gets in at all. £3. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384991785716

I've got a proper flue storm collar but your idea is much cheaper.

image.png.0a1dd49700aa451e84d7337104c3e167.png

TL;DR

Pipes out, need to put a replacement in.

So, I managed to get the old pipe out, which, as it turns out, was in pretty good condition over most of its length except at the bottom where it meets the stove collar, and holed in various places 6 inches up from the stove collar. The rest of it, including the top bit, where it entered the deck collar, was in surprisingly good shape.

I had made rather a meal of stuffing bits of fire rope and far too much silicone in the gap between pipe and deck collar though, which made it a bugger of a job to get out. I ended up cutting it in half in the end, and cutting a wedge out of it.

The fire rope at the stove collar/pipe intersection had welded itself into some kind of rock solid hybrid rope/metal material that was a real bugger to get out.

I believe the rusty holes low down the pipe may be a function of how the stove is operated (perhaps too low on tickover), resulting in condensation and rust and the type of fuel used. I hope to mitigate the rust problem by using a stainless pipe,but they only seem to come in 1.5mm thickness. FWIW, the stove is usually given a good blast at least twice a day, but is kept on low tickover overnight.

I'm also thinking, if I can get a pipe with 1/2" smaller diameter, that may enable the pipe/ deck collar intersection room enough to just have a small sealing ring at the top of the collar, so it will be easier to remove in the future. Currently, the pipe is almost hard up against the deck collar.

So, I clearly have room for improvement over the next installation, and am open to suggestions for how I can improve on removal of the next failed pipe before I go out shopping.
Edited by rusty69
1/2 not 1/4

So given the slim chance that anyone is actually reading this garbage (except Jen in wellies, who I know is having a secret look), I have decided to put my ramblings down in this thread should any future generations happen across them.

As MM said earlier in the thread, there seems to be two types of Stainless steel tube that is readily available, namely 304 and 316. The 304 seems to be available quite inexpensively on ebay, mainly for exhaust pipes, though who the hell has a 100mm exhaust is beyond me. They generally have a 1.5mm wall thickness, and it is softer than the 316. The 316 I came across is specified as schedule 10 in terms of dimensioning. It appears to give a nominal ID dimension in inches, but a OD in mm and a thickness in mm. So for a 3.5" pipe that is 3.1mm thick, the outer diameter is 101.6mm. How confusing is that?! I guess the key word there is nominal.

So £40 vs £230 compared to £80 for a steel equivalent.

That is all.

If the fire spends most of its time at 'tickover' then it is too large for the space being heated. 

I dislike oversized fires in narrow boats and the Squirrel even Mørso. 

Unfortunately line production of my magic fire and DEFRA approval would make it cost about £1472 which is farrr too much for a boat stove ! 

For the Squirrel I think the 1.5mm wall will be fine but if the boat burns down and you die in horrible pain in a nightmare inferno don't come running to me to complain. 

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

101.6 mm and 114.3 mm OD x 2mm thick stainless tube, and 76.2 mm x 3 mm thick available at https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/stainless-steel/stainless-steel-tube?p=4

Thanks. That is the website I was referring to. 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

If the fire spends most of its time at 'tickover' then it is too large for the space being heated. 

I dislike oversized fires in narrow boats and the Squirrel even Mørso. 

Unfortunately line production of my magic fire and DEFRA approval would make it cost about £1472 which is farrr too much for a boat stove ! 

For the Squirrel I think the 1.5mm wall will be fine but if the boat burns down and you die in horrible pain in a nightmare inferno don't come running to me to complain. 

It spends half it's time on tickover, I would say;overnight and part of the day. 

• 5 weeks later...

So, as I know you guys are really interested about my flue pipe, and welfare over the cooler months, here is an update.

I finally got around to fitting the new flue. I went for the cheap stainless pipe in the end, which cost a little over 40 quid. Ordered on Wednesday, arrived Thursday, and fitted in under an hour today. Chopped the ends off to match the angle with, would you believe it, an angle grinder. Stuffed with fire rope and ordinary silicone. Ok, so, it's not the high temperature envirograf stuff, but interested to see if it will work. Worst case scenario is we die of carbon monoxide poisoning, best case scenario is I save 10 quid on silicone, so its win win really, except for the death bit I suppose.

The end.

On 29/09/2023 at 17:39, Ex Brummie said:

Too late for you now, but vitreous enamelled flue would have done a smart job. It would look as good as Andrew's, but a lot less faff and hassle.

My enameled flue lasted about 5 years before I put my finger through it. Now using stainless which will outlast me. It wasn't even much more expensive.

• 2 months later...

Update 2. The new stainless flue is working out well so far. Requires less sweeping than the old steel one for some reason that I don't understand. The ordinary silicone sealant is standing up well too. I was expecting it to burn and melt away, but seems ok.

• Greenie 1