Any helpful charities?

wandering

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Yesterday my boat sunk on the River Trent. Water came in through the weed hatch and unfortunately I was unable to save it from going under water. As a result all my belongings are underwater and potentially ruined. 

The boat was my home and I loved it. I am disabled and receive benefits so you can imagine how hard this is for me since I had to use redundancy money to secure the boat. 

My question is does anybody know of any charities who can help people like me in my situation? 

I managed to get off with my dogs and the clothes on my back but everything else-laptop, iPad, mementos, heirlooms, bed, food and furniture is underwater. 

Thankfully my insurance will help get the boat to land but the contents, electrics and even engine are unknowns until that happens. 

I appreciate any help or advice from you lot. Thanks. 

AECC6956-1EC2-4A9F-8941-EF396D8607D4.jpeg

Edited by wandering
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear that - it must be soul destroying.

What seems to be the norm in such circumstances is that you start a 'go fund me page' and  1000s' of people will send you money. I don't know how it works but there seems to be some new 'fund me' pages every day.

Was the engine running at the time ?

Hope you can get it sorted - its fresh water so the engine and electrics should be reasonably OK if they are treated correctly, flushed, cleaned and dried. Do not try and start the engine before draining and changing the oil, ensure all water is out of the engine and fuel system otherwise you can do serious problems if you get a water-lock (Hydro-lock).

I have had a couple of engines (one on a NB and one an outboard) that have been submerged and both have made a full revovery by following the correct procedures.

Good luck.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Love 1

That's terrible.

I agree about the gofundme thing. A narrow boat sunk on the Thames last winter. I didn't get the impression anyone was living on it but the owner did an online funding page and the word locally was that he got several thousand pounds donated. Boat floated by local boatyard and cleaned up. 

• Love 1

When a friend's boat sank his insurance paid for hotel accommodation while the boat was refitted. As it was refloated quickly, surprisingly little internal damage was sustained.

ETA Have you ever been employed, member of a union etc? Unions have funds to help both present and past members, as do some employers (civil service, for example).

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry to hear that - it must be soul destroying.

What seems to be the norm in such circumstances is that you start a 'go fund me page' and  1000s' of people will send you money. I don't know how it works but there seems to be some new 'fund me' pages every day.

Was the engine running at the time ?

Hope you can get it sorted - its fresh water so the engine and electrics should be reasonably OK if they are treated correctly, flushed, cleaned and dried. Do not try and start the engine before draining and changing the oil, ensure all water is out of the engine and fuel system otherwise you can do serious problems if you get a water-lock (Hydro-lock).

I have had a couple of engines (one on a NB and one an outboard) that have been submerged and both have made a full revovery by following the correct procedures.

Good luck.

As soon as I noticed the exhaust outlet and water interacting, I cut the engine off immediately. 

I just created a go fund me that I sent to my Quaker friends 

https://gofund.me/ac7cd40c

33 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Perhaps the Waterways Chaplains can help?

Waterways chaplains | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Thanks!! 

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Have you contacted the Local Authority. They may have housing assistance.

Have done this morning yep. Thank you. 

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When a friend's boat sank his insurance paid for hotel accommodation while the boat was refitted. As it was refloated quickly, surprisingly little internal damage was sustained.

ETA Have you ever been employed, member of a union etc? Unions have funds to help both present and past members, as do some employers (civil service, for example).

That’s promising. Unfortunately no, no union. 

32 minutes ago, magnetman said:

ETA did you mean assistance with the boat or accomodation? 

I’ve taken refuge at my parents. I mostly need help because once it’s out the water I don’t know how much I’ll need to make things right again, if that is possible. 

To add to what Alan said.

Either remove the glow plugs or the injectors before you make any attempt to start it. Then, when you spin it over, any water trapped in the cylinders will be ejected rather than stopping the pistons and bending the connecting rods.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

To add to what Alan said.

Either remove the glow plugs or the injectors before you make any attempt to start it. Then, when you spin it over, any water trapped in the cylinders will be ejected rather than stopping the pistons and bending the connecting rods.

Thanks! It’s a BMC 1.5 so hope it isn’t too difficult to sort out. 

27 minutes ago, wandering said:

Thanks! It’s a BMC 1.5 so hope it isn’t too difficult to sort out. 

If you are doing it, immediately it is out of the water (not the next day)  get some cans of WD40 (WD = Water dispersant) down the injector holes and turn it over by hand, then get some thin-oil (3-in-1  type) and squirt it down the injector hole and turn it over by hand. This should stop the bores etc rusting until you can get in and do a 'proper job'.

Leave it a couple of days without treatment and you could find the pistons / piston rings 'rusted' (stuck) on the barrels.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

This youtuber featured on the forum a couple of years ago after their boat sank. The first few videos show progress in getting the boat refloated, cleaned up and the engine running again.

I have watched her Vlogs and I have to take my hat of to her and her partner, they have not asked for anything or expected any funding from anyone, they just got stuck in and now they have a boat and are hopefully enjoying it. Credit to her👍 
I think it’s a totally different scenario to the OP’s, so wish him all the best, as he has only started on the journey of living afloat, I’m so sorry to hear this😢

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I have watched her Vlogs and I have to take my hat of to her and her partner, they have not asked for anything or expected any funding from anyone, they just got stuck in and now they have a boat and are hopefully enjoying it. Credit to her👍 
I think it’s a totally different scenario to the OP’s, so wish him all the best, as he has only started on the journey of living afloat, I’m so sorry to hear this😢

Yeah from being made redundant, having to leave the country where the job was, returning to the UK, deteriorating mental health and then this sinking seems to conspire against me. I wish I had a bit more resilience right now. 

Read and understand exactly what your insurance covers.

3rd party only, will recover the boat, the rest will be up to you.

Comprehensive Liveaboard, will cover the repair/replacement of most things. (often only to the value of the boat)

Mementoes' photos, paperwork may be beyond recovery.

Good luck.

Bod

• Love 1