Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering 2023

Rob-M

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, cuthound said:

We will probably take a wander up the cut some time over the weekend.

They don't seem to have published a timetable for this year on their Facebook page yet.

Same last year weren’t it?

A bit low key?

Edited by Goliath

We are moored up just before the marina, followed a couple of working boats up Glascote.  Looks like quite a few boats in the marina but doesn't look to be as many there at the moment as last year.

I went yesterday with my eldest son.

Nowhere near as many people or historic boats as previous years. Surprisingly there were no canal restoration charity stands or boats selling cheese, tat etc.

Saw Alan & Cath Fincher in the distance but didn't recognise any other forumites.

Still at least there were some good beers available including Landlord, one of favourites.

Hopefully next year will be better.

28 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Nowhere near as many people or historic boats as previous years. Surprisingly there were no canal restoration charity stands or boats selling cheese, tat etc.

Saw Alan & Cath Fincher in the distance but didn't recognise any other forumites.

Still at least there were some good beers available including Landlord, one of favourites.

I think I saw you whilst we were parading on England.

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, we were not able to get the boats there this year, but did make it up on Saturday by car.

We didn't see many "Forumites" but did spend considerable time with cheshire~rose and Postcode, and also some time with Starcoaster.  I think we must have jus missed RayT.

Whilst boat numbers were less than in some previous years, it was good to see several boats I have not seen at any historic boat event before now.  I particularly noted "Elstree" which my brother's boats used to be regularly coal boating with in the 1970s.

As far as parading went the winding hole at the Barlow seemed to be unusually silted, making turning more "interesting" for some of the deepest draughted boats.

It's a shame that the Barlow has abandoned serving meals, although the Pizza van on Saturday was excellent.  Had we been moored there all weekend I think we would have missed the serving of breakfasts and other meals through the day.

But, all in all, thank you to Malcolm for hosting this unique event.

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, we were not able to get the boats there this year, but did make it up on Saturday by car.

We didn't see many "Forumites" but did spend considerable time with cheshire~rose and Postcode, and also some time with Starcoaster.  I think we must have jus missed RayT.

Whilst boat numbers were less than in some previous years, it was good to see several boats I have not seen at any historic boat event before now.  I particularly noted "Elstree" which my brother's boats used to be regularly coal boating with in the 1970s.

As far as parading went the winding hole at the Barlow seemed to be unusually silted, making turning more "interesting" for some of the deepest draughted boats.

It's a shame that the Barlow has abandoned serving meals, although the Pizza van on Saturday was excellent.  Had we been moored there all weekend I think we would have missed the serving of breakfasts and other meals through the day.

But, all in all, thank you to Malcolm for hosting this unique event.

I didn't know that the pub is still open. We came through in June and all the curtains were closed and the pub sign on the side facing the bridge is missing so assumed it was closed

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

From Easter it opened sporadically at first, but now regularly, however as @alan_fincher says the restaurant is now closed for the foreseeable future.

I can never understand the fascination pubs have with serving food. Its not something they are good at and it must be a phenomenally complex operation to run as a side business in addition to running a drinking establishment.

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I can never understand the fascination pubs have with serving food. Its not something they are good at and it must be a phenomenally complex operation to run as a side business in addition to running a drinking establishment.

Because with drink driving laws and being remote pubs with good food get customers.

Simple

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, MtB said:

It use to be excellent at serving food when the Ausi was running it pre pandemic.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, MtB said:

The food in the Sammy Barlow used to be excellent. All locally sourced too.

Much better than our other local canalside pub, part of the Marston's empire, which serves up pre-cooked meals which have been reheated in a microwave.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

As others have already stated, the food in the Barlow used to be top notch.

Better still, when we dined there for 3 successive nights, and had exhausted all the "veggie" option on the menu, the then chef came and worked out with us a made on the spot special to avoid us duplicating a meal.

It used to be very good indeed.